Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #261
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Imagine the Oilers winning the Cup. Connor McDavid passed the Stanley Cup to Iginla. Jarome raises the Cup and skates around the ice wearing an Oilers jersey.

Pictures and video of this event will forever be part of hockey history. You will see it in playoff montage videos for decades. The Oilers could include the pictures and videos in their marketing material. Battle of Alberta stuff there. Stanley Cup winner Edmonton Oiler Jarome Iginla.
Fffff that stht !
Who cares. I just don't get the Iggy love. IMO, his last contract with the Flames did not go well for the team.
Time to move on.
If the Oilers sign him, they will just be slower.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:28 AM   #262
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Who cares. I just don't get the Iggy love. IMO, his last contract with the Flames did not go well for the team.
Time to move on.
If the Oilers sign him, they will just be slower.
He is not that slow lol. But his game over all has slowed down yes, 2 different things man.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:56 PM   #263
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
He is not that slow lol. But his game over all has slowed down yes, 2 different things man.
Did you even watch him last year he has not lost one step he has lost 2 slow as molasses . Let Oilers have him who cares.
Old 07-08-2017, 02:59 PM   #264
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
Did you even watch him last year he has not lost one step he has lost 2 slow as molasses . Let Oilers have him who cares.
Old 07-08-2017, 03:06 PM   #265
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I doubt the Oilers would even been interested , well maybe they would he is slow like Lucic.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:13 AM   #266
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Where does the old guy end up?
Keeps popping up in other threads, so you can consider this a public service.
Only rumour I've stumbled on so far is the Oilers. How would this effect his legacy and fan perception?
How much does he have left in the tank and how much does he sign for?
My guess: 1 year 2m with 2m bonuses. Predicting 22 goals and 39 points in 72 games for....Columbus. (goes to finals against flames)

Personally I don't care if he plays for the oilers, but I'd rather see him win a cup and I will never cheer for the stinking Oil.
It probably would not effect his legacy if he signed a year with the Oilers. I mean he was born and raised in Edmonton. Grant Fuhr played a season for the Flames and it did not bother the Oilers faithful. I would love to see Iggy retire as a Flame, but whatever happens, happens...
Old 07-09-2017, 01:22 AM   #267
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
It probably would not effect his legacy if he signed a year with the Oilers. I mean he was born and raised in Edmonton. Grant Fuhr played a season for the Flames and it did not bother the Oilers faithful. I would love to see Iggy retire as a Flame, but whatever happens, happens...
If Gretzky or the Sedins ever played for the Flames I'm sure it would taint their legacy to alot of fans. It's different when you were the face of the franchise for many years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 03:49 AM   #268
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So funny. He was potent with LA and made a difference. Anemic on a fourth line in Colorado. Colorado is in a bad way now, but why the vitriol? Jarome Iginla is a future HHOF. He was an amazing player on many levels. Let's give him a little more respect that he deserves.

Even if he is slower, he has and still plays the game better then 80% of his comparable at his age. NHL careers are short and his is longer, why is this looked down upon. Most people go wayside quicker then he does. He's an outlier and in a good way.

What I observed from his playing is he has a wicked wrister/slapper combo. Can still hit and will not back down. It's pretty cool.

Don't care where he signs but I'm not digging him or putting him down in his career, or trying to take a notch out of him. Because he played as a top level athlete for the Flames for what was mostly the entirety of his career. People can argue, but if he signed here we would be better for it.

Also, I don't get this passive aggressive stuff where all players get post apex and they get chunked or criticized. I like that the Jagr's want to keep playing and give it their all. It's admirable. As far as team building and evaluation, I think it's more embarrassing to have a first round pick like Yakupov and not be able to develop him and utilize the potential that 150 scouts saw.

Last edited by calgarywinning; 07-09-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:45 AM   #269
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^ This is why coaches and managers need to keep emotionally detached from their players.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 10:30 AM   #270
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did watch him, I watched him a lot. He is not as slow as people who obviously did not watch him but jumped on the "he is so slow" train. As a matter of fact I would say he might be a step slower than Monahan at worst. The problem is his tank will empty a hell of a lot faster now at his age so he can't log a lot of ice time.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #271
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I did watch him, I watched him a lot. He is not as slow as people who obviously did not watch him but jumped on the "he is so slow" train. As a matter of fact I would say he might be a step slower than Monahan at worst. The problem is his tank will empty a hell of a lot faster now at his age so he can't log a lot of ice time.
I have also watched him, Iginla was never a quick player to start with.

However he has lost a step.

League is moving to a younger and faster game.

Older players will be out and retired at an earlier age....
Old 07-09-2017, 11:19 AM   #272
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't get it, if he's as good as some of u claim why are 31 gms passing?
Old 07-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #273
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
First of all, I'm not as keen on bringing Iggy back as many here are. I'd rather let the youngsters fight it out, but if he does come back for a final hurrah in a depth role, I'm not going to lie..it would be pretty exciting.

However, you don't know if 31 GM's are passing. Maybe he has a couple of offers on the table, and he's weighing his options. Not only the option of which team/area etc he'd like to go to, but those teams depth charts and or his perceived role on those teams. Not to mention the potential he sees for those teams to maybe even win a cup. At this point I doubt he wants to go to another tire fire like Colorado, so he's going to have to choose carefully.

Also, money would likely be another factor.

Obviously the guy isn't getting huge offers anymore, but I'd be willing to bet a team or two out there are talking with him and his agent on an ongoing basis, trying to find a fit that weighs all the above options including money, role, location, duration, and potential to win.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:26 AM   #274
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
^^^ This is why coaches and managers need to keep emotionally detached from their players.
It's a good thing you have a level take from being emotionally detached on this topic.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:48 AM   #275
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
lol.. it's July 8th man not October 1st. Iggy will have no problem finding a spot and to me it makes complete sense it's taken longer than a week for him to decide. He has to be extremely calculated with where he decides to go as he only has so many more chances likely his last depending on how he plays.

No doubt though 31 GM's saw how Iggy played for LA down the stretch and took note, he still has plenty of game based on that not so small sample size.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #276
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Iginla couldn't even score 30 points last year. He's now 40 and I don't know of too many players who improve when they get that age. There's plenty of guys who can produce those numbers who are younger and faster.

I love Iginla. He is my favourite player of all time, but the arguments that he's still a good option are nothing but blind nostalgia in my opinion. He really wasn't that great with the Kings. 9 points in 19 games, very mediocre and again numbers that younger faster players can put up. He had one fantastic game that happened to be against the Flames which I think is tainting some people's view. The reality is he's 40 and teams can find guys to do his job in their mid-20's. Sure, he still might be able to play for another year, but if you're a team choosing between a guy in his mid-20's or a 40 year old it's a no-brainer.

There is a reason he doesn't have a contract yet, and it's not because he's taking his time to decide between 31 offers. I hope he gets a job somewhere, but I don't know if he will.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:32 PM   #277
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Iginla couldn't even score 30 points last year. He's now 40 and I don't know of too many players who improve when they get that age. There's plenty of guys who can produce those numbers who are younger and faster.

I love Iginla. He is my favourite player of all time, but the arguments that he's still a good option are nothing but blind nostalgia in my opinion. He really wasn't that great with the Kings. 9 points in 19 games, very mediocre and again numbers that younger faster players can put up. He had one fantastic game that happened to be against the Flames which I think is tainting some people's view. The reality is he's 40 and teams can find guys to do his job in their mid-20's. Sure, he still might be able to play for another year, but if you're a team choosing between a guy in his mid-20's or a 40 year old it's a no-brainer.

There is a reason he doesn't have a contract yet, and it's not because he's taking his time to decide between 31 offers. I hope he gets a job somewhere, but I don't know if he will.

He played on the worst team in the salary cap era. Not a shock his numbers were so bad. I did watch a lot of his games and he never was a speed guy. He still has value
Old 07-09-2017, 01:01 PM   #278
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
So funny. He was potent with LA and made a difference. Anemic on a fourth line in Colorado. Colorado is in a bad way now, but why the vitriol? Jerome Iginla is a future HHOF. He was an amazing player on many levels. Let's give him a little more respect that he deserves.

Even if he is slower, he has and still plays the game better then 80% of his comparable at his age. NHL careers are short and his is longer, why is this looked down upon. Most people go wayside quicker then he does. He's an outlier and in a good way.

What I observed from his playing is he has a wicked writer/slapper combo. Can still hit and will not back down. It's pretty cool.

Don't care where he signs but I'm not digging him or putting him down in his career, or trying to take a notch out of him. Because he played as a top level athlete for the Flames for what was mostly the entirety of his career. People can argue, but if he signed here we would be better for it.

Also, I don't get this passive aggressive stuff where all players get post apex and they get chunked or criticized. I like that the Jagr's want to keep playing and give it their all. It's admirable. As far as team building and evaluation, I think it's more embarrassing to have a first round pick like Yakupov and not be able to develop him and utilize the potential that 150 scouts saw.
Jarome, but yes this ↑↑
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2017, 01:17 PM   #279
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
I have also watched him, Iginla was never a quick player to start with.

However he has lost a step.

League is moving to a younger and faster game.

Older players will be out and retired at an earlier age....
This. Speed was never part of Iggy's game.
Old 07-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #280
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarywinning View Post
So funny. He was potent with LA and made a difference. Anemic on a fourth line in Colorado. Colorado is in a bad way now, but why the vitriol? Jerome Iginla is a future HHOF. He was an amazing player on many levels. Let's give him a little more respect that he deserves.

What I observed from his playing is he has a wicked writer/slapper combo. Can still hit and will not back down. It's pretty cool.

He was not potent in LA do you watch any other teams than just the Flames , sure he scored a few goals but that top line was dominated with his time there they were heavily out scored and kings record was worse of with him with him being the goat on a lot of the goals against , because he was to slow to cover his check. There comes a time to retire Iggy is there.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenfame For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread