Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-11-2024, 02:08 PM   #1
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:
Default Camera/Mic for Making YouTube Videos (out and about; not at a desk)

Hey, anybody have any suggestions for a camera for making YouTube videos that would give better results/quality than using just a phone?

Wish list:
- Good stabilization
- A way to have a lapel mic or something to capture good speaking/narration audio.
- I'd like it to work well with some sort of simple video editing software (that hopefully just comes with the camera/is downloadable to work with the camera). I don't want to spend my life editing videos...just make them look decent and post.
- Videos will be made out and about here, there and everywhere versus just sitting at a desk and talking. Call it low to moderate action.

I've thought maybe the Insta Go3, but I don't know much about that other than what YouTube has fed me. I think it's only 1080p, but maybe I should focus on 4k?

Maybe a GoPro?

Is there a go-to no-brainer sort of option here?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 02:30 PM   #2
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey, anybody have any suggestions for a camera for making YouTube videos that would give better results/quality than using just a phone?

Wish list:
- Good stabilization
- A way to have a lapel mic or something to capture good speaking/narration audio.
- I'd like it to work well with some sort of simple video editing software (that hopefully just comes with the camera/is downloadable to work with the camera). I don't want to spend my life editing videos...just make them look decent and post.
- Videos will be made out and about here, there and everywhere versus just sitting at a desk and talking. Call it low to moderate action.

I've thought maybe the Insta Go3, but I don't know much about that other than what YouTube has fed me. I think it's only 1080p, but maybe I should focus on 4k?

Maybe a GoPro?

What's your budget? The DJI Osmo would be my first pick for getting video while out hiking or whatever.

I use DaVinci Resolve and it has a supposedly good free version. I don't know how you get around having to edit except to shoot flawlessly.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:52 PM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
What's your budget? The DJI Osmo would be my first pick for getting video while out hiking or whatever.

I use DaVinci Resolve and it has a supposedly good free version. I don't know how you get around having to edit except to shoot flawlessly.
I don't mind editing...just don't want a huge learning curve with a crazy pro-type software that can do more than I want to do. If it's just basic where a normal schlep can dumb his way through editing I'm totally fine with that.

Awesome, I'll do a deep dive on the Osmo. Pricing seems fine and there are some good package deals where I would get the accessories I want.

Thanks!
Old 04-11-2024, 02:55 PM   #4
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Let us know when you get your OnlyFans…er I mean YouTube channel set up! Probably get a few subs from CP.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 02:58 PM   #5
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

You should splurge and get the 8K VR.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2024, 03:04 PM   #6
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Resolve is super easy to use and the free version is fantastic. Might be limitations around what you can render and the odd feature but I doubt that impacts you at all. Lots of online support for help and tips as well.

Camera depends on budget. GoPro is never a bad idea. Drone mounting could be an option.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 04:34 PM   #7
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A worthy addon if you are walking around is a 3 axis gimble. I think they are around $100 and totally worth it to keep everything smooth, and gives you a handle. You may even be able to get away with just using your phone if you use a gimble.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2024, 07:07 PM   #8
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Insta360 x3 is pretty awesome.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 09:32 AM   #9
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Wish list:
- Good stabilization

Maybe a GoPro?

Sony Vlog camera plus Sony shooting grip?

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-Camera-Co...s%2C128&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-Wireless-...%2C128&sr=8-10

You can also get attachments like shotgun mics and stuff.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sony-ECMG1-Vlo...s%2C122&sr=8-5

Not quite all in one. It's modular to exceed and tweak as you want. It could cost you $600-1500 all in, but you can get exactly as entry level or higher tier as you want.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 10:06 AM   #10
MrSector9
Backup Goalie

Exp:

DJI osmo if you do not want an action cam, I am a big fan of the DJI action 4 for action cam (has pretty amazing stability) and then use a DJI wireless mic or RODE wireless GO.

Insta360 X3 was high on my list but I like the magnet clipping of the Action series when I replaced my dated GoPros.

DJI editing app works, has AI features and is pretty easy to use but honestly I just played with it a little bit.

Focusing on 4k is overkill if your only making youtube vlog videos, the amount of processing/space needed for editing is quite large (60 second clip and my project file was 150gb) you need faster cards, more storage, faster computer.

Audio is by far the most important thing, people can put up with something not shot 100% perfect, but annoying audio and people will not watch it.

Also footage that is too stabilized looks sorta weird and not "real", works great for B-roll stuff, but for vlog a little bit of movement/sway is ok. If you start watching closely in the videos you currently watch I am sure you will see they are not 100% stable, a lot of time editors will add camera shake in post if it looks too smooth to make it more immersive.
MrSector9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrSector9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 11:48 AM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSector9 View Post
DJI osmo if you do not want an action cam, I am a big fan of the DJI action 4 for action cam (has pretty amazing stability) and then use a DJI wireless mic or RODE wireless GO.

Insta360 X3 was high on my list but I like the magnet clipping of the Action series when I replaced my dated GoPros.

DJI editing app works, has AI features and is pretty easy to use but honestly I just played with it a little bit.

Focusing on 4k is overkill if your only making youtube vlog videos, the amount of processing/space needed for editing is quite large (60 second clip and my project file was 150gb) you need faster cards, more storage, faster computer.

Audio is by far the most important thing, people can put up with something not shot 100% perfect, but annoying audio and people will not watch it.

Also footage that is too stabilized looks sorta weird and not "real", works great for B-roll stuff, but for vlog a little bit of movement/sway is ok. If you start watching closely in the videos you currently watch I am sure you will see they are not 100% stable, a lot of time editors will add camera shake in post if it looks too smooth to make it more immersive.
Very educational, thanks a lot.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:36 PM   #12
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am legit interested in Sliver's YouTubes channel

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 01:37 PM   #13
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just don't forget to have a thumbnail with a really surprised look and jaw wide open. It's a must for any Youtuber.
Old 04-12-2024, 01:45 PM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
I am legit interested in Sliver's YouTubes channel
The Rascal would make for a bomber camera dolly.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 12:22 AM   #15
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The Rascal would make for a bomber camera dolly.
I just imagined Sliver mounting a camera on his rascal and doing one of those rolling car videos.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote