Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2018, 10:37 AM   #801
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Chuck must have had a big estate as a senior law partner, but he left very little to Jimmy. Will Kim ever show him Chuck's letter?
That envelope I think plays a very big role in this season.

They've made significant visual use of it in the limited time it's been on screen.

Is it more than just an 'FU, jimmy' letter?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:04 PM   #802
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
That envelope I think plays a very big role in this season.

They've made significant visual use of it in the limited time it's been on screen.

Is it more than just an 'FU, jimmy' letter?

Yeah, it could be a lot of things ranging from an apology or a confession or maybe even a letter of recommendation, but I am guessing its a big FU letter as well. Who knows what the writers are thinking, a lot of different courses the season could take based on the envelope. They will probably circle back around to it near the end of the season.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:43 PM   #803
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Did Jimmy ever get the money from the class action lawsuit? For some reason I thought he did, but maybe not if he's still looking for work.
He was close to getting it, but he alienated the senior who was the class representative from the rest of her friends. To undo that, he did that whole accidentally-on-purpose confession over the mic in the yoga class to get all of the seniors to turn on him instead, and that also would make the class rep reconsider settling so quickly. The suit is still ongoing as S3 closes.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:22 PM   #804
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great episode and lots to think about.

The interview scene was great. Did Jimmy suddenly turn because he didn't want to go back to working around copiers because he saw it as going back to those days when he worked in the copy room? Was it because he was able to manipulate those two guys in a matter of minutes? His word "suckers" makes me think that Jimmy can't respect anyone that succumbs to his manipulation.

Chuck's letter being an apology would go against his entire character and how poorly he's always treated Jimmy (including his final act of giving him $5k), so I'd be very shocked if it were anything other than one last f you from beyond the grave.

Kim's demise is going to be sad.

I wonder why the writers chose to blur out the hospital documents that Gus read in that scene. My assumption is that it was toxicology reports which showed that Don Salamanca was off his meds, which tying in with Victor seeing Nacho toss the meds off the bridge, led Gus to confirm that Nacho caused the stroke, but the blurring of the documents could be setting up for something else?
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:56 PM   #805
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Great episode and lots to think about.

The interview scene was great. Did Jimmy suddenly turn because he didn't want to go back to working around copiers because he saw it as going back to those days when he worked in the copy room? Was it because he was able to manipulate those two guys in a matter of minutes? His word "suckers" makes me think that Jimmy can't respect anyone that succumbs to his manipulation.

Chuck's letter being an apology would go against his entire character and how poorly he's always treated Jimmy (including his final act of giving him $5k), so I'd be very shocked if it were anything other than one last f you from beyond the grave.

Kim's demise is going to be sad.

I wonder why the writers chose to blur out the hospital documents that Gus read in that scene. My assumption is that it was toxicology reports which showed that Don Salamanca was off his meds, which tying in with Victor seeing Nacho toss the meds off the bridge, led Gus to confirm that Nacho caused the stroke, but the blurring of the documents could be setting up for something else?
The document contents probably aren't relevant. The point of the scene, imo, was just to show how thorough Gus is being. These showrunners are pretty consistent with showing information to the viewer they think is important, so if they're not showing it, it's probably not important.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:59 PM   #806
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A vid from AMC featured Odenkirk stating that the two reminded him of his father, giving in to people's song and dance stories. Hence the quick turnaround. EDIT:Here's the video

I gotta remember the Insider podcast is out after every episode, I haven't listened to the second episode of it yet.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 08-15-2018 at 06:28 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 06:21 PM   #807
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
A vid from AMC featured Odenkirk stating that the two reminded him of his father, giving in to people's song and dance stories. Hence the quick turnaround.

I gotta remember the Insider podcast is out after every episode, I haven't listened to the second episode of it yet.
Ah yes that makes total sense. He talked about how his dad used to just give in to people who wouldn't pay when making purchases at his store and hated how his father was so easily pushed around and entrusting in people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2018, 12:55 AM   #808
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rhea Seehorn deserves an Emmy.

Kim better make it to the end of Better call saul!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Makarov For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2018, 06:45 PM   #809
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kim has no chance. God damn I love this show.
Old 08-19-2018, 06:48 PM   #810
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Rhea Seehorn deserves an Emmy.

Kim better make it to the end of Better call saul!
So did Chuck, and he gone.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #811
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gale!

And... Anyone think Kim wrote the letter?
Old 08-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #812
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gale!

And... Anyone think Kim wrote the letter?
Nope.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:34 PM   #813
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownhillGoat View Post
Nope.
Yeah I'm not sure what I think. The way the letter was worded didn't seem very 'Chuck', but maybe I'm being swayed by Kim's anger when Howard first gave her the letter and Chuck's final interactions with Jimmy.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:59 PM   #814
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don’t see how it could be Kim. I figured it was handwritten given Chuck’s aversion to tech. No way she could forge his writing and signature.

Great episode. Was the thief that worked with Jimmy in B.B.? I recognize him but not sure from what.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #815
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Going back to the letter, that scene was great. Jimmy’s non chalance reading it while eating, Kim’s gaze locked on Jimmy the whole time and then slowly breaking down, Chuck continuing to be a POS from the grave. It’s like he’s mocking Jimmy. He was always jealous of the attention Jimmy got and how much their mother loved him. To screw him over with the estate and then write an obviously dishonest and BS letter. Such a dbag. Never supported Jimmy in life but pretends like he’s this amazing older brother on his way out. Chuck is a great villain, I’ll give him that.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:08 PM   #816
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The letter mentioned Jimmy working in the mail room, so perhaps it was written before their big falling out when the two brothers were actually getting along.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #817
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Strong episode for the supporting characters.

Kim’s super-competent paralegal.

Gale singing the periodic table.

The bad vet operating around potholes.

The man sleeping in his office because he bought his wife a vacuum. Listening to self-help tapes.

I’m not sure what Kim’s crying over Chuck’s letter means.

Did seeing the new bank models turn off Kim the same way Jimmy was turned off by the job interviewers?

Last edited by troutman; 08-21-2018 at 09:24 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #818
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still waiting for the rolling car to crash...

Great episode!
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #819
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

that was interesting ending on many levels ... I thought they'd save the letter for later in the season. Based on their relationship last season, the letter feels like mockery, but with the letter being undated it could easily be that Chuck had written that letter before their relationship soured. Kim's reaction was also interesting, no idea what to make of it yet.

And poor Gale, singing the periodic table and so eager to cook meth. "You were meant for better things" ... oh well.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 09:14 AM   #820
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Strong episode for the supporting characters.

Kim’ super-competent paralegal.

Gale singing the periodic table.

The bad vet operating around potholes.

The man sleeping in his office because he bought his wife a vacuum. Listening to self-help tapes.

I’m not sure what Kim’s crying over Chuck’s letter means.

Did seeing the new bank models turn off Kim the same way Jimmy was turned off by the job interviewers?
I think Kim was overwhelmed.

She was looking at a ####load of work, more work than a single lawyer could handle.

Getting overwhelmed is the reason she crashed in the first place. Could be momentum building towards something like that happening again if she's burning the candle at both ends while preoccupied with Jimmy's emotional wellbeing.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:

Tags
breaking bad , saul goodman