Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2018, 09:49 PM   #2501
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Orange is the new black came out today, I hate that I like that show
Old 07-28-2018, 09:33 AM   #2502
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I gave the new Lost In Space a go...

I watched the old re-runs as a kid, and was excited for the movie in the 2000s (which was medium).
Half way through the first episode I was pulling my hair out because it’s so cheesy. Then I kind of realized they were embracing the cheese, and running with it. And I actually think they did a good job of it, kinda funny. I’m done 2 episodes and enjoying it. The star is the kid who plays “Will”, holy crap what a great kid actor.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 09:34 AM   #2503
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

By the end it was a pretty good series.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2018, 10:40 PM   #2504
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Black Mirror should have a warning in front of certain episodes to tell newish parents to stay the #### away

Spoiler!
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #2505
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Anyone watch Extinction? This movie stinks. I like Michael Pena but wow, this was bad from beginning to end.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2018, 09:23 AM   #2506
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Anyone watch Extinction? This movie stinks. I like Michael Pena but wow, this was bad from beginning to end.
I have not watched it, I thought about it, but now I think I'll take a hard pass.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 10:17 PM   #2507
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm a huge sports documentary fan, especially football, so I was pleasantly surprised to see a new one tonight called QB1.

QB1 follows the senior year of three at least 4 star rated high school QB's. Jake Fromm, Tate Martell and Tayvon Bowers. All three have committed to Div 1 schools.

Its interesting to watch because when you see these QB's the first thing you think is that they're men. They already look college age, they're all tattoo'd up, and they're physically mature. You also see the problem with high school sports for the elite quarterbacks, for example Tayvon and Jake both moved from their original high schools to join elite programs. With Jake he forced his whole family to uproot from California to Nevada so he could join one of the best high school programs in the country.

Just watching some things as a former football coach, I was shocked at a lot of things.

One of the teams is a travelling team so when they went to play a game in Texas, they pulled the whole team out of school for three days to travel, stay in a 5 star hotel and do rounds with the media.

My jaw also dropped at the training facilities, especially in the one school where they had a 15000 seat stadium a pro style weight room and multiple conference rooms for team break downs.

The other thing that really took me by surprise is that they're all playing a college style of high school and these offenses are extremely complex. That's why I felt sorry for the one quarterback who just couldn't seem to get the offense nailed down and his protection calls on the line.

This documentary is done by Peter Berg's company, there's no commentators or narrators this is just the camera following these kids around.

The other thing that really stands out

While Tayvon moved to this school from his old school, the program graduated a lot of its veteran players and its a team that's really going to struggle.

Tate Marshall is extremely competitive, but with that comes a lot of arrogance and a huge me first attitude that rubs people the wrong way, during one game he had his friends tweeting out for him during the game.

Out of all of them, Jake is the most professional, and carries himself like a Pro, he's not as good of an athlete as the other two, but you quickly gain a lot of respect around how he carries himself.

If you like sports reality, I think this is a very good watch.

Add on

Jake went on to play for the Georgia Bulldogs this year, he was originally the backup but replaced the starter and lead the Bulldogs to a double time win over Oklahoma in the Rose Bowl.

Tayvon went to Wake Forest and was red shirted, he suffered an ACL injury. He was also named an academic all american

Tate is the fourth string QB at Ohio, he's basically running the Scout team and is thinking about transferring to another school so that he can compete for the starting job.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 08-03-2018 at 10:26 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 08:43 AM   #2508
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

CC, I also just watched QB1, I quite enjoyed it. I find the US football culture fascinating.

A show that’s been on Netflix forever and I only started watching is Hinterland. I really enjoy these type of murder mysteries, and Wales is beautiful! I would love to travel there.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:27 AM   #2509
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
CC, I also just watched QB1, I quite enjoyed it. I find the US football culture fascinating.

A show that’s been on Netflix forever and I only started watching is Hinterland. I really enjoy these type of murder mysteries, and Wales is beautiful! I would love to travel there.
Netflix just put hinterland season 3 on; I’m also enjoy the show.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:30 PM   #2510
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
A few that I have liked recently - "Final Space",
Thanks for the suggestion. Just finished it over the weekend, and will probably watch it again. Can't wait for season 2.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #2511
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
OMG that was awful. I'm not sure why I watched the whole 1.5 hrs. Just absolute garbage.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #2512
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife watched it and said the acting was terrible but then there was some kind of twist in the film and then she wasn’t sure whether the acting was supposed to be bad or it it was sincerely bad acting on everybody’s part.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:24 AM   #2513
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol, yes, the "twist". That was awful too. Bad plot, bad acting, bad twist. Just avoid.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:25 PM   #2514
8 Ball
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there anyway To clear series off of your watch list?
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:30 PM   #2515
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Is there anyway To clear series off of your watch list?
https://help.netflix.com/en/node/22205
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 06:54 PM   #2516
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They made that process so tedious.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:43 PM   #2517
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any way to clear a series off your "Continue Watching" list if you've actually watched every episode, but would still like it to show up when new episodes are actually released?
Old 08-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #2518
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
RE: Suits
This could not be more accurate.

I just watched an actual episode of television where the b plot revolved around a cat kidnapping/ownership lawsuit between two respected lawyers at a serious law firm but it was only a mock trial and yet somehow it was also binding to both parties. If I had not watched the episode myself, I would not believe it existed. I also thought it wasn't bad. Lewis is highly entertaining.
It feels like the writers for Suits have a grade 6 level education. Why does every single scene have to end as an ultimatum? It gets infuriating. The story has lost everything it once had and I hate almost all the characters except Donna because she is an absolute smokeshow.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 08:28 AM   #2519
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
It feels like the writers for Suits have a grade 6 level education. Why does every single scene have to end as an ultimatum? It gets infuriating. The story has lost everything it once had and I hate almost all the characters except Donna because she is an absolute smokeshow.
I agree with the wrap up of Mike and Rachel. But I am enjoying the newest season. Feels refreshed and liking all the new characters.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:03 PM   #2520
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Disenchanted” coming up tomorrow. This should hopefully be good. Wonder if he Groening be edgier on Netflix.