Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What is your favorite childhood memory?

Do you have something that happened in your childhood you look wistfully back on? I think for me it was summer break when I was 8 years old. Me and my friend would go down to this creek and catch tadpoles, frogs, snakes, or anything else we could. Sometimes I wish I could go back to being a child, when everything was new and you were always discovering new things. Am I the only one who does that? I mean I love my career and the adult things I get to do but sometimes I just wish I had no responsibilities other than school and playing. Maybe I am having a mid life crisis, lol. I am a big fan of the Twilight Zone and Rod Serling did a couple of really good episodes based on going back and being a kid again.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

First boner
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The older red headed girl who lived three houses away ;
Old 05-16-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Arcades

Specifically, Wizards Castle at market mall.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #5
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stampede Wrestling
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Sammymydog1
Draft Pick

Bass fishing with my dad when I was as a kid. He passed away last year & I often think about those lazy days where nothing else seemed to matter...
Sammymydog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #7
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

some of my earliest memories are also some of my favourite memories....

waaaaaay back in pre-school i had the best teacher ever.... bob (robert) munsch - yea... the children's author. story time with him was freakin' awesome!!!!

another great memory from pre-school... they arranged for a fire truck to come to the school and we all got to check it out... it was awesome....at a very young age i told my mom that when i grew up i wanted to be a fire truck (i was a simple a child! ha!)

and one final great childhood memory.... hanging out with my dad. he owned his own business and as kids we usually only saw him on sundays. it was awesome when he'd hang out with us for a saturday and we could pick what we did. it was usually a jay's or a leaf's game, maybe go to the toronto science center, sometimes it was lunch or dinner and a movie. i remember the one time we went to a darryl sittler museum. ahhhh.... good times!!!
Old 05-16-2013, 11:25 PM   #8
Circa89
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Wow, crazy to think what my kids will have as great memories... I hope they have a few . I was a privileged child growing up in bonavista, ski Cabin in Windermere and vacations galore. One of my best memories as a kid was sitting in the back of a Datsun going to the dump! Wow 70's ruled. No seat belts, no rules.
Circa89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

A couple come to mind.

We owned or cared for a lot of animals growing up - the usual dogs, cats, birds and so on. But we always had animals or fish or something. We looked after a squirrel monkey for a family for a few months while they were overseas. I thought it was a lot of fun but my mother remembers differently. We had a bazillion pet 'fancy' mice, a few birds over the years (parrots, cockatiels, budgies), pygmy goats, a lamb, rabbits, we hatched ducklings for the school one year. I wish my kids had been able to get the experiences with the critters like we had.

We lived inside the Artic Circle for 18 months - in Coppermine/Kugluktuk. It was sheer insanity at times but lots of great memories - learning how to carve soapstone, scooting along the ice in a skiboose behind the skidoo, ice fishing with my Inuit friends and their families, watching the barges come in (that was like xmas, considering all they carried), when the new Hudson's Bay Co store opened, watching our crazy neighbors when they were drunk and he was on the roof of their house, running around the edge, trying to pee on his wife below, lol. So many fun and crazy memories.

Living in north eastern Alberta (north of the Yellowhead, between Lloyd and Vermilion, about half an hour) on an acreage/farm of sorts, when I was just starting high school. We had quite a few of the critters there. We got a couple of dirtbikes (just little ones) and got permission from the farmer whose pasture land bordered the property we lived on, to ride the bikes there and explore. We (my younger brothers and I) found a great little creek in a sort of valley and it even had a little beach of sorts, and the farmer gave us permission to build a little fire pit there so in the summer months and into the fall, we'd spend days down there, exploring, riding the bikes and we'd haul along hot dogs and buns and other snacks and have a weiner roast. We even camped out there a few times. Considering the otherwise craptastic childhood we experienced (a lot of abuse), it was our idyll.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of memories but one I'll share is playing with my dog. She was an Airedale who tried to go everywhere with me. Most times she could as I went hiking and fishing, riding my bike as I delivered papers and riding my horse or just visiting friends. No need for a leash or dog licence in those days. At the time it was a semi rural area in Coquitlam where most people had plots of 10 or 20 acres. I digress, anyways she'd start running, circling around me and when she had enough speed, she'd run right at me, going for my throat. I'd throw up my arm and she'd bite onto my heavy coat sleeve and hang on while I spun in circles until she'd finally let go and go tumbling on the grass. Than she'd start the whole attack process again.

Other times she'd want to go exploring and grab my sleeve until I'd follow her out into the woods. I couldn't understand why she was so exited but she would be smelling something real interesting.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 01:33 AM   #11
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stapling frogs together, then using a magnifying glass to to burn them with the sun.

...seriously, the neighbor kid did that. Not me. Was really messed up.

Favorite memory: just being outside all the time and my old transformers (you know, the ones made of metal).
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
childhood , fun , memories