Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #1241
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Are there no squirrels in Chestermere? I don't think I've ever seen a single one in my yard.

Less mature trees, more birds of prey, would be my guess.

Not sure if true, but I've heard the black squirrels are actually escapees from the zoo back in the day, and are not native.

I'm sure redforever could start a nice little colony for you out in Chestermere if you asked him nicely.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #1242
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
I feed the birds too and some seeds always drop. If the squirrels would just come and eat the seeds on the ground, I would be happy. However, that is not the case and they are quite destructive.
3 black and 2 grey so far for me.

They either get relocated to the zoo or wherever I happen to be golfing that day.
Old 06-22-2021, 05:20 PM   #1243
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
Less mature trees, more birds of prey, would be my guess.

Not sure if true, but I've heard the black squirrels are actually escapees from the zoo back in the day, and are not native.

I'm sure redforever could start a nice little colony for you out in Chestermere if you asked him nicely.
Absolutely. I am not trapping right now as there is not a severe as problem...yet!!!

But there has been a hole dug in one of my annual planters and one planter had to be replaced so they are on a thin line.

By me, the black out number the grayish brown about 2 to 1. There are also some mottled ones so cross breeding is evident as well.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:34 PM   #1244
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

I continually find all kinds of “gifts” they bring to me.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/iueth80s43...0Date.JPG?dl=0

And they are obsessed with hauling stones, leaving them on fences, gates, and sadly buried in my planters and perennial beds.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0vuaqq8pn...nts-2.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gktreoehgn...nts-3.JPG?dl=0

Some of them make a flying leap from my garage roof to a small crabapple tree that I have and then jump down to the ground, knocking down, or breaking off stems from my perennial flowers.

And they dig, constantly. See the white owl in the last picture? Well it is no longer…they hated that owl, finally got the owl off the stake and then chewed up the stake.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6qddy1mwjf...amage.JPG?dl=0
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 05:44 PM   #1245
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
My wife has informed me that we have a gopher living under the front steps, near her flower beds. Any way to get rid of it without potentially poisoning a bird of prey?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2021, 09:41 PM   #1246
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Needs a feature that the next squirrel comes along and resets it first from below before going on the top.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:47 AM   #1247
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Following up on my earlier post about alternative lawns....Bee Turf in our backyard is looking awesome now. Still needs to thicken up a little bit but I'm super happy with it. Going to let it grow for most of the summer but you can mow it down like a normal grass if you want the "traditional" lawn look and it should be fine with traffic. Doesn't need to be watered now that it's established and will stay green even during hot dry spells. Lots of little bugs and pollinators flying about it as well.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1408227007368896514

Now if only the thyme between the pavers in the corner of the picture would grow faster...

Last edited by Torture; 06-25-2021 at 10:51 AM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #1248
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like the idea, but that looks pretty fluffy and not something I'd want to use like I normally use my lawn (mainly playing with my kids). Is that actually true? I'd love less maintenance plus something that is good for the environment.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:00 PM   #1249
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks amazing! FYI: the creeping thyme will take 2-3 years to really establish. Every spring you'll see more & more of it. I love the idea of the bee turf!
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 12:10 PM   #1250
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I like the idea, but that looks pretty fluffy and not something I'd want to use like I normally use my lawn (mainly playing with my kids). Is that actually true? I'd love less maintenance plus something that is good for the environment.
It's fluffy but you can walk on it, kids or pets are fine playing on it as well. Really soft and nice barefoot
If you mow it, it will look a lot more like a traditional lawn. Just one that stays green (with flowers!) and doesn't need to be watered, aerated, and manicured because it uses stuff that actually wants to grow here

There are photos post-mowing on the reviews. I'll post my own photo after I've mowed it, but I'm going to let it get established for most of the summer.
https://www.westcoastseeds.com/products/bee-turf

Last edited by Torture; 06-25-2021 at 12:21 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:12 PM   #1251
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
You can mix it into regular grass which is what I will be starting to do this fall. The clover creates nitrogen for the grass so it’s beneficial and you can get micro clover that when kept low, just looks like grass. Grass/clover was a standard lawn before broadleaf herbicides became common.

I plan on cutting it regularly keeping the flowers cut as we and our dogs are on the grass all the time and I don’t want to be stepping on them. One of my dog goes into shear panic mode when a fly lands on him. If there’s a fly in the house he hides in his bed. He’s 90 lbs. I think he’d have a massive coronary if we had bees.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:13 PM   #1252
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The bee turf conceptually it seems pretty neat, but I think it's just something I'm not used to seeing and it seems kinda messy. I am just way too used to the look of a well preened lawn.

That being said, it also looks and feels kinda... wilderness like? As if you're sitting only a few inches away from natural beauty. That aspect is kinda neat. I could see the concept and look growing on me after a while.

Silly question, but how does bee turf fare under a spruce tree? I'd really love to conceptually explore a concept of covering the ground underneath a spruce tree that wasn't purely gravel/stone or mulch. I've had success with poppies and peonies under a spruce tree that come back year after year, but they don't really migrate/have a lot of coverage beyond where I first planted them.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #1253
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Silly question, but how does bee turf fare under a spruce tree? I'd really love to conceptually explore a concept of covering the ground underneath a spruce tree that wasn't purely gravel/stone or mulch. I've had success with poppies and peonies under a spruce tree that come back year after year, but they don't really migrate/have a lot of coverage beyond where I first planted them.
I'm not sure. Spruce trees make the soil super acidic, plus they drink up the majority of the water, so you might want to look into another acid loving plant.
I've seen others suggest burying pots into the ground so that you don't get the same impact of the acidic soil and water depletion, and planting in those.

Lily of the Valley or Snow on the Mountain would grow under it if you just want ground cover but they're super invasive so you have to make sure you have a barrier and control them.

Last edited by Torture; 06-25-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 01:14 PM   #1254
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torture View Post
I'm not sure. Spruce trees make the soil super acidic, plus they drink up the majority of the water, so you might want to look into another acid loving plant.
I've seen others suggest burying pots into the ground so that you don't get the same impact of the acidic soil and water depletion, and planting in those.

Lily of the Valley or Snow on the Mountain would grow under it if you just want ground cover but they're super invasive so you have to make sure you have a barrier and control them.
Keep that in mind if you plant either Lily of the Valley or Snow on the Mountain.

Goutweed would also grow there...it would grow anywhere, but it is as invasive as Lily of the Valley, if not more so.

https://cvc.ca/your-land-water/tree-...20groundcover1.
Old 06-26-2021, 09:48 PM   #1255
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
Keep that in mind if you plant either Lily of the Valley or Snow on the Mountain.

Goutweed would also grow there...it would grow anywhere, but it is as invasive as Lily of the Valley, if not more so.

https://cvc.ca/your-land-water/tree-...20groundcover1.
Yup. We had some filling an entire bed when we moved in. Dug up all the roots, covered it in cardboard.and mulch and spent the summer plucking leaves as they came up. Amazingly, it seems like we won that battle.

I had the roots sitting in a clear garbage bag before they went into the trash and I couldn't believe it, but they were sprouting leaves even in a garbage bag. Nuts.
Old 06-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #1256
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Years ago, I did that for my Mom under her spruce trees. I buried several old kiddie pools that I'd trash picked, and put the LotV's in them. A couple of decades later, when one of the trees got hit by lightening, and had to come down, I thanked myself for putting those in the kiddie pools - they couldn't spread outside of them and I was able to get all the roots and bulbs out simply, leaving the area nice and clean.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #1257
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Following up on my earlier post about alternative lawns....Bee Turf in our backyard is looking awesome now. Still needs to thicken up a little bit but I'm super happy with it. Going to let it grow for most of the summer but you can mow it down like a normal grass if you want the "traditional" lawn look and it should be fine with traffic. Doesn't need to be watered now that it's established and will stay green even during hot dry spells. Lots of little bugs and pollinators flying about it as well.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1408227007368896514

Now if only the thyme between the pavers in the corner of the picture would grow faster...

Looks great!! Don’t sweat how fast the other plants grow. It just take thyme
Old 06-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #1258
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Years ago, I did that for my Mom under her spruce trees. I buried several old kiddie pools that I'd trash picked, and put the LotV's in them. A couple of decades later, when one of the trees got hit by lightening, and had to come down, I thanked myself for putting those in the kiddie pools - they couldn't spread outside of them and I was able to get all the roots and bulbs out simply, leaving the area nice and clean.
I also had a Lily of the Valley cleanup… previous owners had let them run rampant in a back bed and at the base of a tree. They were literally growing under the sandstone rock wall - had to take the entire thing apart, dig out the roots, and reassemble.
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 07:34 PM   #1259
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankster View Post
I highly recommend Grant and his team at Jemm Tree service. http://jemmtree.com/ Tell him Kery sent you

Awesome guy. They took out 3 trees today. thanks.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #1260
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

As promised, here's a post-mowing photo of the bee turf. Supposed to thicken up as you continue to mow it. Just as walkable/kid playable/whatever as grass IMO.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1413985022193725443
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies