Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-05-2015, 07:46 AM   #61
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
Just built a new house and was going to try to sod this summer though I have heard to wait a year before doing so to allow the ground to settle. Any truth to waiting?
If it's been rolled properly, there shouldn't be much, if any, settling. If it hasn't been rolled, you can usually rent a roller or hire it out.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #62
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks, hasn't been rolled yet, they haven't even brought the remainder of the fill in yet. I have noticed lots a flow areas and dips around the house, especially when it has rained and snowed. I guess once it has been levelled and the grading is done I will rent a roller and get it all set.
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #63
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had heard the same thing about maybe letting it settle for a year. We move in to a new place in May and I am debating whether I should landscape this summer or not.

I can see just sodding not being a big deal even if there is settling, but are there other things that might be a bigger potential issue (poured or interlocking stone patio for example)?

I'm definitely interested in any other opinions on this as well.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #64
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurstOfTimes View Post
New to Calgary. Moved up from Texas.

I wanted to get some info on fertilizer, pre-emergent, seeding schedules, and general lawn/yard maintenance. I was a decent green thumb in Texas but I'm not familiar with the types of grasses here or the types of plants suited for this zone.

The weeds are already starting to pop-up so I assume it's too late to put down a pre-emergent herbicide. Any recommendations on a herbicide spray or granules to use to kill the stuff that is already popping up?

Is it too early to put down a slow release fertilizer? Some of the city websites mentioned doing this in May but since it's been a warmer spring and the grass is already greening up I guess fertilizer can be used now.

Any advice on grass seed or sod and where to get it. I assume HD is the standard place to go. There are a lot of dead patches in the yard I'd like to fill in.

Thanks
You cannot get broadcast pre-emergent or other weed and feed type herbicides in Alberta other than the ones that use iron. Most of it gets washed into drains and then into the rivers.

I have tried the iron stuff once and I am not convinced that it did all that much other than leave little rust spots on my concrete and decking. For weeds spot treatment herbicides like Killex is your best bet but it's too cool still to use it.

A Canadian's yard schedule in the spring is rake to lift the grass, power rake, aerate, fix dead patches, top dress bare patches, overseed the entire yard, and fertilize. Sod is typically Kentucky blue grass but you can overseed with a blend of Kentucky blue grass, perennial ryes, and fescues.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:04 PM   #65
Darby
Draft Pick

Hi, my first post here.

I'm looking to fix my front and backyard. These are the things I'm looking for help with:
- moving a small tree out of the garden and into its own area
- building 3 raised garden beds
- stone border for 2 trees
- making stone pathway from front to back of house
- removal of fenceposts (an actual fence was never built, there's a few tall wooden fenceposts though)

Can anyone recommend a good landscaper in Calgary? First-time lawn owner so it's overwhelming me a bit. It's not a big backyard and the front is largely just driveway with a sidepatch of grass and a tree.

I'm a little terrified this is going to cost me a crapton of money, but I'm also not very handy. Any suggestions on simple ways to reduce cost?

I'd like something that looks like this for the pathway, but this looks really expensive.

Also looking to overseed the weed-infested lawn with Sheep's Fescue. Can anyone recommend a place to buy it?

Sorry I know it's a lot of questions for a first-time poster. If it helps, I've been a regular lurker for...11 years
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:33 AM   #66
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a section of my back lawn that would best be described as "lumpy". I think the previous homeowner didn't grade the area and simply seeded to get the lawn back in. It's pretty bad and I've almost rolled ankles while mowing.

I'm wondering what my best option would be to remedy this. Should I spread a ton of topsoil over the lawn, rake, and re-seed? Or am I going to have to rip it up, level the area, and lay sod?

Any help would be amazing.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:46 AM   #67
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenarms View Post
I have a section of my back lawn that would best be described as "lumpy". I think the previous homeowner didn't grade the area and simply seeded to get the lawn back in. It's pretty bad and I've almost rolled ankles while mowing.

I'm wondering what my best option would be to remedy this. Should I spread a ton of topsoil over the lawn, rake, and re-seed? Or am I going to have to rip it up, level the area, and lay sod?

I have the same problem in my yard (the previous owner had a dog that liked to dig and now the yard is very uneven with a lot of depressions.) I fixed a portion of it last summer with top soil and some seed and am currently working on the rest of the lawn this spring/summer.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:53 AM   #68
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Hi, my first post here.

I'm looking to fix my front and backyard. These are the things I'm looking for help with:
- moving a small tree out of the garden and into its own area
- building 3 raised garden beds
- stone border for 2 trees
- making stone pathway from front to back of house
- removal of fenceposts (an actual fence was never built, there's a few tall wooden fenceposts though)

Can anyone recommend a good landscaper in Calgary? First-time lawn owner so it's overwhelming me a bit. It's not a big backyard and the front is largely just driveway with a sidepatch of grass and a tree.

I'm a little terrified this is going to cost me a crapton of money, but I'm also not very handy. Any suggestions on simple ways to reduce cost?

I'd like something that looks like this for the pathway, but this looks really expensive.

Also looking to overseed the weed-infested lawn with Sheep's Fescue. Can anyone recommend a place to buy it?
You can get a big bag of Sheep Fescue at Bow Pointe Nursery. I bought some a couple of years ago to see if it would take in my front yard that is dominated by a large spruce tree. No dice. I think the bag of seed was close to $50.00, so not exactly cheap.

About 12 years ago I (pro landscapers, actually) installed pavers in my backyard for the patio. Two years ago, I ripped them up and put concrete in. Our winters are hell on pavers. Some of them sank several inches and I also gave up on the drudgery of picking weeds that would come up through the cracks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 AM   #69
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Our winters are hell on pavers. Some of them sank several inches and I also gave up on the drudgery of picking weeds that would come up through the cracks.
About 33% of my back yard is paving stones and I can attest to it being a pain. It took 2 years of sanding and adjusting until they ended up being half decent and didnt cause a rolled ankle while walking to the garage. For weeds I gave up on picking, I bought a torch and just head outside once every two week and burn anything that pops up. I used the torch for my firepit anyways so it serves a multipurpose.

On a related note, I remember last year there was a guy who did power raking on CP but I cannot find the posts. My dog did a number on my yard this winter and im looking at pretty much doing a full reseed and possibly some regrading.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:40 PM   #70
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

So last year I had a new septic system installed, with heavy machinery all over my lawn. I've got about 3/4 of an acre that's just dirt now, with the lawn destroyed. Do I need to install topsoil over all of that before I seed it, or can I just seed it as is, and it will grow? I guess it's the same dirt that the grass was growing in originally, so it should grow, right?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:25 PM   #71
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenarms View Post

Till it, rake it, seed it.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #72
Darby
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
You can get a big bag of Sheep Fescue at Bow Pointe Nursery. I bought some a couple of years ago to see if it would take in my front yard that is dominated by a large spruce tree. No dice. I think the bag of seed was close to $50.00, so not exactly cheap.

About 12 years ago I (pro landscapers, actually) installed pavers in my backyard for the patio. Two years ago, I ripped them up and put concrete in. Our winters are hell on pavers. Some of them sank several inches and I also gave up on the drudgery of picking weeds that would come up through the cracks.
Thanks. I think the fescue will grow in most of my lawn, but there is an area in deep shade where not much will grow. What did you end up planting beneath your spruce?

One of the worries I have with concrete (besides the aesthetic) is that it'll eventually crack, and I've heard the removal of it costs way more than the replacement of pavers. I'm wondering if putting a concrete base down and then the pavers on top would alleviate the settling problem.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:59 PM   #73
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Till it, rake it, seed it.
Thanks all for the input. I'm going to go this route and will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:09 PM   #74
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby View Post
Thanks. I think the fescue will grow in most of my lawn, but there is an area in deep shade where not much will grow. What did you end up planting beneath your spruce?

One of the worries I have with concrete (besides the aesthetic) is that it'll eventually crack, and I've heard the removal of it costs way more than the replacement of pavers. I'm wondering if putting a concrete base down and then the pavers on top would alleviate the settling problem.
I didn't plant anything under the spruce. We use containers such as whiskey barrels and just plant annuals.

I'm no concrete expert but my childhood home in Red Deer had a concrete patio and I don't recall many serious cracks. I lived there for 17 years and the patio was in excellent condition. Perhaps it is a matter of the installation quality? They can do neat things with concrete these days so I don't think aesthetics should be too much of a concern.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:01 PM   #75
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Anybody have some advice/contacts for a few landscaping companies?

Bought a house used and since living in it for a while, I realized the grading was never properly done (mismatches neighbours yard, slopes towards house in back). As well, I highly doubt the previous owner put topsoil down. The "grass" consists of crabgrass and looks like bald prairie.

I'm looking at putting in some trees this year and a few islands with retaining walls which I can do myself, but what I'm thinking is getting someone to scrape the top layer out, put down some top soil and grade it to what I'm looking for. Not a big lot but access is a pain to the backyard.

Any idea of costs or have a contact for a small firm?
Old 04-30-2015, 03:13 PM   #76
Hevishot
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
Anybody have some advice/contacts for a few landscaping companies?

Bought a house used and since living in it for a while, I realized the grading was never properly done (mismatches neighbours yard, slopes towards house in back). As well, I highly doubt the previous owner put topsoil down. The "grass" consists of crabgrass and looks like bald prairie.

I'm looking at putting in some trees this year and a few islands with retaining walls which I can do myself, but what I'm thinking is getting someone to scrape the top layer out, put down some top soil and grade it to what I'm looking for. Not a big lot but access is a pain to the backyard.

Any idea of costs or have a contact for a small firm?
Mountain Pearl Landscaping. Kevin and Suzanne rock!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #77
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hevishot View Post
Mountain Pearl Landscaping. Kevin and Suzanne rock!
Can you elaborate? I would like to find a good landscaper that doesn't estimate based on your address, but actual work to be done.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 04:18 PM   #78
Dentoman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Can you elaborate? I would like to find a good landscaper that doesn't estimate based on your address, but actual work to be done.

http://www.sanibellandscapes.com/

Have used this company for years. Dave will give you an honest price and will do great work.
Dentoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dentoman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #79
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone here planted hedgerows? We're thinking of doing that in our front yard instead of a wooden fence.

I've always been partial to that clean box hedge look. Are there any particular varieties that are better than others for that? A quick search shows that the cotoneaster is the most used in Calgary, but Im wondering if there are any other options to consider?

How many years till they tend to fill in?
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:27 PM   #80
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes contoneaster are probably the fastest growing and most hardy option for Calgary. Thus they are the most popular. There are other options for hedges which could include Saskatoon bushes, lower growing lilac bushes and a few others. Both of those grow slower depending on the height you are looking for will dictate the time for them to fill in. Definitely a few years minimum.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies