Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2018, 12:04 PM   #61
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

And fair enough, I'm not disputing that. Like I said, when they presented, I thought it was a more supervised environment.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:08 PM   #62
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
And fair enough, I'm not disputing that. Like I said, when they presented, I thought it was a more supervised environment.
Same. I legitimately thought it was somewhat like Hamsterdam. Health officials, safe sex, clean needles, maybe even some community outreach to get through to the most vulnerable members of society.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:12 PM   #63
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Same. I legitimately thought it was somewhat like Hamsterdam. Health officials, safe sex, clean needles, maybe even some community outreach to get through to the most vulnerable members of society.
That #### costs money, yo.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #64
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
I saw a girl giving a dude a blow job a block from the injection site in an alleyway on Monday afternoon. Based on the characters involved, I woudk guess it was a sex for drug money exchange.

But it may have also been just a sex for drugs exchange with no money involved at all!

The beltline is a great place to feel safe and raise a family...
I've been living in the inner city for the past 6 years (Beltline / Bankview) and I've certainly noticed a marked increase in the number of needles on the ground. It went from maybe seeing one every couple months to one or two per week. I used to call them in to the fire department but it's becoming too time consuming.

Wouldn't recommend wearing sandals around here anymore.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:51 PM   #65
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an adult with no pets, I've been pretty much unaffected by what is happening at the chumir. If I did though it'd be a different story. Pretty eye opening stuff. A lot of evenings now I'll see a squadron of cops combing the alleys and you only have to assume something pretty bad went down or that there was an OD involved
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:16 PM   #66
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
That #### costs money, yo.
It can't cost more than treating aids, unwanted pregnancies and jail. Oh well.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:31 AM   #67
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to live in that area and I still own a rental property there. You'd run into the occasional individual who was drunk, high, homeless etc. but they were always respectful and whatnot and I never minded them. I'd even give them clean bottles and cans on occasion.

If the reports are coming out are true, I agree that's very disappointing. I don't have an issue with the safe injection site there, but if the community immediately feels unsafe and there's a huge spike in needles littered around, then that's no good.

I agree with a previous comment. This site should also be involved in aiding the safe disposal of the needles. Trading in used needles for something of value should help clean up the littered needles very quickly (ie: needles for gift cards/new needles or something).
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 AM   #68
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I used to live in that area and I still own a rental property there. You'd run into the occasional individual who was drunk, high, homeless etc. but they were always respectful and whatnot and I never minded them. I'd even give them clean bottles and cans on occasion.

If the reports are coming out are true, I agree that's very disappointing. I don't have an issue with the safe injection site there, but if the community immediately feels unsafe and there's a huge spike in needles littered around, then that's no good.

I agree with a previous comment. This site should also be involved in aiding the safe disposal of the needles. Trading in used needles for something of value should help clean up the littered needles very quickly (ie: needles for gift cards/new needles or something).
I think was in freaknomics or one of the gladwell books where they talked about paying $1 for used needles or else it was you had to have a dirty needle to get a clean needle and what happened was there became this clean / dirty needle economy which able drug addicts would clean up and profit of ones who couldn’t manage needles and the streets got cleaner.

Some kind of program similar to aluminium can recycling should be very effective.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2018, 10:35 PM   #69
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As someone quite involved in the mission and beltline community, this problem is becoming a huge safety issue for about 10 square blocks around the injection site, which basically encompasses the entire high density inner city and no one seems to care enough at City hall.

I've gone from hearing about the odd issue every few months to now having heard 15 reports in the last month alone. These include: public sex, public defecation, knife attacks, home break-in and entry (7), and car break-in and entry (3). These neighborhoods are becoming increasingly unsafe to live in. We need more vigilant policing as it seems pretty obvious that addicts are attacking people or stealing property in these neighborhoods to fund their drug habits.

My fiance and I were talking last night - that as residents of the beltline - having an addict break into our building is now a matter of when and not if. We've also gone from wanting to live in the neighborhood until our child was three to now wanting to move much much sooner.

Last edited by GullFoss; 12-24-2018 at 10:38 PM.
GullFoss is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2018, 08:37 PM   #70
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

It really seems like this isn't likely net new crime, but moving crime to a concentrated area. Shouldn't this make it easier to refocus existing police resources?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 11:06 PM   #71
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
It really seems like this isn't likely net new crime, but moving crime to a concentrated area. Shouldn't this make it easier to refocus existing police resources?
I would like to think so. The chumir might see a rise in OD's, but at least it's right there. If they can work with needle policy & cleanup that would be great. Unfortunately these drugs still cost money. I'm wondering how it might curb overall violent crime too. Have drug sales become tolerated within boundaries now? One has to wonder because they're pitting safe use policy against pretty harsh distribution laws. Maybe I should just watch the wire again

Last edited by calumniate; 12-25-2018 at 11:15 PM.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #72
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sounds like the city is experiencing a meth epidemic:

https://globalnews.ca/news/4779421/m...-staff-unsafe/

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...f-91757d0de14d

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...-prairies.html
GullFoss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:11 PM   #73
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Report released today showing how bad it's gotten around the Chimur.

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/sa...eltline-report

Quote:
Stats from 2018 show a 276-per-cent increase in drug-related calls to police in the zone along with a 29-per-cent rise in the overall number of calls for service compared to the three-year average.

Violence in the area is up nearly 50 per cent while vehicle crime has increased 63 per cent. Break-and-enters are also up by more than 60 per cent and the total number of calls to police jumped 36 per cent in 2018 compared to the previous year.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:15 PM   #74
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It makes sense. This city is depressing right now with the unemployment situation being pretty bad. I don't doubt that its lead to a lot of self medicating.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:16 PM   #75
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Report released today showing how bad it's gotten around the Chimur.

https://calgarysun.com/news/crime/sa...eltline-report

This is not acceptable at all. How the hell can the city allow this to happen? I think everyone agrees we don't want people ODing in the streets but the city needs to be accountable for this.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:20 PM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is not acceptable at all. How the hell can the city allow this to happen? I think everyone agrees we don't want people ODing in the streets but the city needs to be accountable for this.
Health Care is Provincially regulated, I'm unclear as to which part you feel the City is responsible for.

The Policing?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #77
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Health Care is Provincially regulated, I'm unclear as to which part you feel the City is responsible for.

The Policing?

Yes, the policing and the general safety of that area.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #78
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, the policing and the general safety of that area.
Alright, fair enough. It seems insane to me that they're dealing with ~200 drug users per day.

You funnel that many drug users through one place every 24 hours and maintaining safety is going to be a tall order short of turning that place into a demilitarized zone.

It just seems like a scenario that is designed to fail.

Theres only one safe injection site, maybe it shouldnt be downtown, but it has to be central, only having one also means that its an easy target.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:28 PM   #79
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think some of the issues that is happening here is the non stop revolving door of destruction for everybody involved with a very small group of people.

I struggle with it sometimes but I lean towards the injection site being overall positive for the lives in saves but at the same time the absolute disaster in the area and drug use in general is terrible.

How many business owners need to be affected? How many violent crimes are enough? How many sexual assaults should be allowed? How many homes and cars need to be broken into? How many people who have committed very violent crimes including murder and attempted murder and than are allowed back onto the street should we allow?

A recent conversation I had with one of the managers of the cardiac surgery ward at the Foothill Hospital, a hospital that is responsible for cardiac surgery card for over 2 million people, mentioned that they are being backlogged significantly by drug use. The patients who usually have a long history of drug use and have destroyed their hearts and vessels are in their for surgery at very young ages. Than they are fixed up and before you know it, they are back in the cardiac ward waiting for additional surgery or life saving measures meanwhile the backlog of patients continues to pile up for people who are in urgent need of assistance as well. The amount of resources being dedicated can sometimes be mind blowing and the truth is we have limited resources to deal with it.

I've always thought it would be prudent to round up some addicts and in essence incarcerate them in an addiction treatment facility. Get them clean, give them income support, give them some of the other resources such as mental health, counselling, work and life skills for their new life post addiction. Who would object to this? The people who aren't feeling the wrath of their crimes? The addicts family? Let's get this people actually clean and actually on a better track and improve everybody else's life at the same time.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:35 PM   #80
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Oh boo hoo, the Latte Sippers are having NIMBY problems.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote