Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-22-2017, 07:11 PM   #1
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Acquiring firewood

For us city folks that don't have an acreage and/or the time to go and cut down all the wood you need for a wood burning fireplace over a winter, where do you acquire it? There seems to be a lot of websites but it is also a little confusing. What is a good price? What type of firewood should I buy? TIA
Old 08-22-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you in Calgary? If not, then my recommendation would be pointless.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not in Calgary, but the other questions may apply like type and cost.

Last edited by metallicat; 08-23-2017 at 06:37 AM.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #4
110%
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Are you in Calgary? If not, then my recommendation would be pointless.
I am in Calgary and interested in recommendations
110% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In Calgary, I've used Wood Depot and really like their kiln dried birch. Not even remotely cheap and I am bracing for mockery from the manly men who go cut their own in the bush. But hey, it works for me.

According to my email archive, I have used these guys in the past, but their website and name has changed so I'm not sure it's the same outfit still. They seem to be Alberta wide now. And BC.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-22-2017, 10:01 PM   #6
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Burnco has great birch and pine. Not sure how much you need but for camping it works great to fill half a pickup for 40 or so bucks.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:27 AM   #7
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've used Bark Mulch Depot over near Calaway Park. It is convenient and on the way out to the mountains.

IIRC, it was about $150 for split birch, stacked as tight as you can, completely filling an 8ft pick-up truck box. It is supposedly 1/3 of a cord. You need to load the truck yourself from their huge pile of wood. They also deliver massive bags and truck loads if you're looking to fill a shed for the winter.

I've bought birch and pine (is cheaper) from them; there is no comparison. Birch is way better. Burns so much cleaner, longer, and hotter. The only "downside" is there is not near as much popping and exploding as when burning Pine, which we all know can be quite entertaining.

My cousin has a farm shop and barn heated with a modern wood burning setup. The cheapest way he gets wood is to buy a whole logging truck full, delivered to his farm. Then he cuts and splits it himself. I think it was $2500 for the semi trailer load.

Last edited by Draug; 08-23-2017 at 12:32 AM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 09:58 AM   #8
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
For us city folks that don't have an acreage and/or the time to go and cut down all the wood you need for a wood burning fireplace over a winter, where do you acquire it? There seems to be a lot of websites but it is also a little confusing. What is a good price? What type of firewood should I buy? TIA
You live in Edson. Just take your axe to the forest. Problem solved.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #9
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
You live in Edson. Just take your axe to the forest. Problem solved.
I left that little town, Sample is the only remaining CP member there!
Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #10
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_fan View Post
I left that little town, Sample is the only remaining CP member there!
Sorry sir, just going off what your location said.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #11
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry for the late reply, had a bunch of that life crap going on.

These are all the places listed that our camping group members have used in the past, in Calgary and surrounding areas.

Prairie Crocus Garden Centre in Didsbury
- $12/bundle, $75/tote (plus deposit, I assume so they get the tote back)

Burnco - (charge by weight, one person filled the "trunk" of a mid-sized SUV for $40 or thereabouts)

Prairie Woodlands Tree Care Ltd - (located on Centre St N between Balzac and Airdrie) who has a you pick firewood for sale sign out, no idea on price on that one though.

Golden Acres
- sells approx a bobcat bucket full of wood for about $40. No type of wood specified though, so price may vary, you could call for verification before making a trip.

Bluegrass Garden Centre (by CrossIron) - was approx $90 for 1/4 cord of pine, $85 for 1/4 cord of fir, that was with the 10% discount, I believe, for signing up for their garden club. Birch was approx $150/load from there, and he thinks it was approx 1/4 cord as well.

Wild Woodsman (YYC AFAIK) - https://www.facebook.com/Wild-Woodsm...2634688967754/

Wood King - in Black Diamond (haven't used them for years so not sure what their costs are now)
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draug View Post
I've bought birch and pine (is cheaper) from them; there is no comparison. Birch is way better. Burns so much cleaner, longer, and hotter. The only "downside" is there is not near as much popping and exploding as when burning Pine, which we all know can be quite entertaining.
We've gone back to using pine. Yes, birch does burn cleaner, longer and hotter. However with pine it seems that much more like a "real" fire.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 PM   #13
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Fir and Larch are the best.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:04 PM   #14
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I use these guys as Inglewood has suggested. Not cheap either but everything is delivered on a pallet nicely bundled. I always buy the fir, burns long and hot with a decent amount of crackle.

It was around $360 when I bought a pallet in the spring with 48 bundles on the pallet.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:16 PM   #15
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I remember growing up as a kid in a house with a indoor wood burning fire place. Nowadays houses are built with gas. They should go back to wood. I miss the nostalgia of smells, entertainment, and makes you feel like a man.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:12 PM   #16
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
I remember growing up as a kid in a house with a indoor wood burning fire place. Nowadays houses are built with gas. They should go back to wood. I miss the nostalgia of smells, entertainment, and makes you feel like a man.
Couldn't agree with that more.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #17
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can get a tree felling permit and for $5 cut down 5m^3 of wood on crown land.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 10:34 PM   #18
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just realized now that metallicat is oiler_fan

As far as wood goes, get a local timber permit in Alberta or a free-use permit in B.C. (or get to know people who will allow you to use their land)

Tree hunting and splitting it is half the fun
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #19
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post

I live out in the country and I have a gas fireplace. It's much more convenient and much cleaner. When I want a real fire, I have a nice firepit setup outside and just use that (except in the winter of course).

Also, I used to have a wood burning fireplace at a previous house I owned. The big problem with it is keeping the chimney clean. There is nothing worst than a chimney fire. If you are burning wood inside the house (whether in a fireplace or a wood stove), always use wood that is denser - ie - hardwood like birch, or soft wood like Douglas fir or larch. I wouldn't use pine or spruce in an indoor fireplace as it produces a lot of creosote which builds up in your chimney and could cause a fire. If you do use pine, make sure you get your chimney checked and cleaned once in a while.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shin Pad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2020, 06:20 AM   #20
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin Pad View Post
I live out in the country and I have a gas fireplace. It's much more convenient and much cleaner. When I want a real fire, I have a nice firepit setup outside and just use that (except in the winter of course).

Also, I used to have a wood burning fireplace at a previous house I owned. The big problem with it is keeping the chimney clean. There is nothing worst than a chimney fire. If you are burning wood inside the house (whether in a fireplace or a wood stove), always use wood that is denser - ie - hardwood like birch, or soft wood like Douglas fir or larch. I wouldn't use pine or spruce in an indoor fireplace as it produces a lot of creosote which builds up in your chimney and could cause a fire. If you do use pine, make sure you get your chimney checked and cleaned once in a while.
Especially if you’re dropping your own trees. Kiln dried wood is much more efficient and better to use (cleaner) in an indoor fireplace.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote