Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2021, 11:36 AM   #41
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

To the Junkie who stole my Gameboy and Gamegear when I was 9 years old near Golden B.C.

I still hate you very much
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 11:42 AM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
I hope somebody steps in and fills the gap. Greyhound was losing money, but most of that was on the rural routes. They were running Ottawa to Montreal every hour or so. And they were usually full or near full.

Ottawa to Toronto was also usually packed.

With increasing fuel costs, and the prospect of having to probably but a fleet of expensive EV based buses, the sole reason that Greyhound used to make a profit was it was a cheap source of travel that attracted lower and middle class travelers who couldn't afford to fly. If you suddenly make this more expensive then it suddenly becomes a sink hole that loses money.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 01:24 PM   #43
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ahh Greyhound, I think it was a right of passage for chunks of this country not served by any kind of passenger rail during the 80s/90s

Living in rural Manitoba (yes, the passengers who witnessed the infamous incident were taken to Brandon in the aftermath) the Greyhound was a way of life.

A few highlights over the years
- Arriving in downtown Winnipeg in the dead of winter at night and witnessing just how sketchy a bus depot can be
- Having my bank card deactivated after using the non-description ATM at the Calgary station… and finding out with $100 of groceries on the belt as a young man of 23 who was already worried about money
- Arriving in Calgary and being stuck in the bus, in the garage for a solid 45 after arrival because there was no crew to unload luggage… and listening to the driver explain to folks every 5 minutes that “no, I can’t just open the door and let you walk 20 feet into the depot”
- Taking the bus to Indian Head Saskatchewan to see my grandparents, and being too afraid to get off at any of the rest stops for fear of being left behind
- Going to the Brandon depot 2-3 times in the course of a day because the bus my grandmother was on kept getting delayed… eventually arriving around 11:00pm… I think she’d been on the 650km trip for about 20 hours by that point

The logo was tight though.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regular_John For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 01:38 PM   #44
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I used to use them quite a bit to visit an old girlfriend in Edmonton about 15 years ago. I didn't think their services were that bad, but the station in Edmonton back then was definitely a little sketchy.
You don't say
Old 05-17-2021, 01:44 PM   #45
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Take a look at who thanked this post
Nobody ever says no to me
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 02:56 AM   #46
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was at the old bus depot in Calgary recently for my father's vaccine appointment, I can't recall the last time I was there but I noticed the cafeteria and it was nostalgic in a lot of ways. Very run of the mill but it seemed alright for a quick coffee or a bite. It it made me think about a time and a place before technology and the excitement and the happy times that some people would have experienced there.

People coming and going, seeing friends and loved ones, coming to town for business or work opportunities or just coming to the big city from the smaller towns! There was a sense of adventure that I don't think can play out at airports. Rarely does anyone say "what a flight!!" but a bus or car ride allows for some excellent scenery in some ways.

I didn't really ride the Greyhound other than maybe a trip or two as far as I know but I have ridden the local bus service in Greece a lot visiting there in the summer's and the quality of the transportation and service was radically different. The buses are all very modern, air conditioned Mercedes Benz or Volvo's, professional drivers who have a 2nd eye on the road, very timely and frequent services to different areas and the prices were to me, very very affordable. In some ways, if I didn't rent a car to get to a million other places, it didn't make sense to take anything other than the bus.

Different situation all around but bus transport is still a very big method of transportation in a lot of other countries. I am not sure what the answer is but hopefully people can be able to connect still in some ways.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2021, 04:42 AM   #47
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

My only Greyhound story is uneventful. Took it from Edmonton to Calgary in 2003. It's how I arrived in Calgary for the first time. My purpose for visiting your fair city was to see the Flames play live for the first time.

Of the 3 Flames games I've attended, it was the only win.

I have no real recollection of the bus terminal (I flew out) but I vividly recall pulling into the station thinking it was weird that there were gates for busses and not just a parking lot where someone says "that one" like we did for Acadian Lines (which also no longer exists) here out East.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 09:53 AM   #48
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I used to take the Greyhound to visit my uncle in Saskatoon every summer, or when I got a little older to go work on my other Uncles farm in Coaldale.

I took my first solo ride at about 10. and my last Greyhound ride when I went to visit my girlfriend in Windsor when I was about 19 and I couldn't afford a plane ticket.

It was never a bad experience, though you got a higher more evolved level of weirdos on the long bus trips. And you never wanted to sit at the back of the bus because it smelled like farts.

I did meet a army guy on one trip to Regina when I was about 13 and he really romanticized and talked up his army experience and had great stories.

Unfortunately I don't have any Penthouse letter style stories of my time on the road.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:43 PM   #49
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

During my first year at U of L I didn't have a vehicle, and caught a Greyhound home/back a half dozen times. It was always a dreadful 4.5 hour trip stopping at every town to drop off mail or pick someone new up. I can still feel my 6'6 frame cramping up by the time we hit Nobleford.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 10:23 PM   #50
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
During my first year at U of L I didn't have a vehicle, and caught a Greyhound home/back a half dozen times. It was always a dreadful 4.5 hour trip stopping at every town to drop off mail or pick someone new up. I can still feel my 6'6 frame cramping up by the time we hit Nobleford.
Having two kids running through U of L prior to them getting Driver's licenses the Red Arrow was a godsend for moving them back and forth.

Picks them up 5 minutes from our house and drops them off right at the U of L.

Didnt hurt that my dad also worked for Red Arrow at the time, albeit running to Edmonton rather than Lethbridge.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote