Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2021, 12:32 PM   #641
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
Depending on what kind of vehicle you've got you might be interested in these guys:
https://southtrailexports.com/

Full disclosure, I do know one of the owners, but I've gone through them myself (selling a truck), and I've referred a few friends there and no complaints.

I think most of their business is trucks and SUV's but they do do other vehicles.
Process, is you call them up, they may or may not come take a look at the vehicle, and they'll give you an offer.
Pretty much zero hassle and they can give pretty good prices on the right vehicles.
Anyone know if there is an equivalent business in the Edmonton area? My mom's been trying to sell her SUV and is getting nowhere with Kijijji, Facebook, and AutoTrader.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 02:50 PM   #642
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

These guys gave me a solid offer last year. I believe it was recommended in one of the other CP threads. Really quick communication with these guys.

https://curbie.ca
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:14 PM   #643
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do I get the feeling people are just buying stuff on sale at Costco and reselling at regular price. I mean, this is for $380 at Costco right now. The funny part is "no lowballs". Sure, who wouldn't want to pay $100 more than brand new.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-processor-bl...6174?undefined

https://www.costco.ca/vitamix-explor...100513374.html
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #644
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why do I get the feeling people are just buying stuff on sale at Costco and reselling at regular price. I mean, this is for $380 at Costco right now. The funny part is "no lowballs". Sure, who wouldn't want to pay $100 more than brand new.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-processor-bl...6174?undefined

https://www.costco.ca/vitamix-explor...100513374.html
Earlier in the week, I overheard a Costco employee tell a customer that someone had bought the entire week's shipment of Dewalt Floor Fans - about 40 units. Sure enough, there's an ad on Kijiji for a new, never opened fan for $145, $55 more than Costco...
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 08:05 AM   #645
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

They're scalpers, plain and simple. They buy up goods for which they think the "market price" could be higher, and price accordingly. Same scum of the earth that were buying up all the toilet paper last year and reselling out the back of their vehicle at a 400% markup.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 08:40 AM   #646
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hah, if you want to see some opportunistic kijiji price gouging, you should have searched for air conditioners in the past week. Some people were selling used units that retail for $500 or so for three times that.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:14 AM   #647
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Earlier in the week, I overheard a Costco employee tell a customer that someone had bought the entire week's shipment of Dewalt Floor Fans - about 40 units. Sure enough, there's an ad on Kijiji for a new, never opened fan for $145, $55 more than Costco...
This is on Costco.

They could prevent this kid of thing by limiting sales quantities but they don’t want to. Retail likes scalpers because they create scarcity. They only need to manage risk of returns.

It’s the same as ticketmaster. They loved the induced demand and did nothing to stop it until they could join in the profit.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #648
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

About a week before the heat wave started I saw a guy coming out of Costco with at least 7 portable AC units. I assumed they were for himself and friends/family and noticed they were on sale too, without even considering he would resell them. I didnt check kijiji but I'm guessing he sold them all online for a tidy profit in the peak of the heat wave

This type of thing should be restricted (ie. 1 unit per customer) - easy to track at Costco as they run everything through your membership
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 10:51 AM   #649
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the plus side with everyone buying the things there will probably be a pretty decent used market for air conditioners in September, so... stock up for next year?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 12:19 PM   #650
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's the best strategy for getting rid of larger items on kijiji for free (like a couch)? Just leave it in the alley and post it as first come first serve? Add a nominal fee (like $10) so you don't get like 50 responses from strugglers asking if you can deliver? I don't want to post my address and have a bunch of randoms coming over either...
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 01:22 PM   #651
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
What's the best strategy for getting rid of larger items on kijiji for free (like a couch)? Just leave it in the alley and post it as first come first serve? Add a nominal fee (like $10) so you don't get like 50 responses from strugglers asking if you can deliver? I don't want to post my address and have a bunch of randoms coming over either...
I had that situation a month or so ago, listed patio furniture for free and made it clear that a) I want it gone asap, b) I would not deliver and c) they would need a pick up truck to fit the stuff. You don't need to post an address until you choose the person that can pick up asap and has the truck.

You do get a fair number of responses, but if you have someone indicating they are on the way, you can remove the listing or change it to "Pending" which should cut down on the responses. Worked for me, anyways.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #652
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
They're scalpers, plain and simple. They buy up goods for which they think the "market price" could be higher, and price accordingly. Same scum of the earth that were buying up all the toilet paper last year and reselling out the back of their vehicle at a 400% markup.

I guess. But it’s so weird, it’s not even a high demand item. The only reason it came to my attention was because we were about to get one at Costco, but then we thought maybe we could find somebody selling a set with other stuff like the food processor attachment on Kijiji. Actually noticed the same thing with the Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Somebody else was selling it for full price when Costco was discounted - but this was around Xmas and everyone was in full-blown baking mode.

The other thing that irks me is businesses on Kijiji putting up misleading prices. Instead of listing full price for the item, they have “monthly” instalments prices.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:04 PM   #653
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone ever heard of MaxSold.ca?

My neighbor used them to clear out his garage.

Just looking for a second opinion.

Thanks
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:24 PM   #654
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I advertised a free couch. Guy and his buddy came by with a pickup truck, so far so good. They didn’t have any ropes or ties so I lent him a rope. He promised he’d bring it back and reinforced that in a few text messages. Two-plus months ago I’ve given up. Oh well, I got rid of an old couch without having to haul it away. I did okay.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 04:40 PM   #655
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Recently posted a sold our camping trailer on Kijiji over a matter of 4 days to a wonderful retired couple who wanted our specific make/model. Real practical hands-on guy who said any minor items were easy fixups. Even travelled from out of town to YYC. Nice straight-shooter guy, no BS no glory no fuss. Awesome to deal with. They're happy with the deal as am I. Another good experience chalked up.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #656
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
I just leave stuff like that on the curb, and usually it is gone by morning. If that doesn't work, I just drop it off at a community hockey rink when nobody is around and the community association takes care of it. It works great for couches, crushed up light bulbs, dirty oil, dog droppings, that kind of thing.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2021, 08:57 PM   #657
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
I just leave stuff like that on the curb, and usually it is gone by morning. If that doesn't work, I just drop it off at a community hockey rink when nobody is around and the community association takes care of it. It works great for couches, crushed up light bulbs, dirty oil, dog droppings, that kind of thing.
Sunnyvale?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 11:23 PM   #658
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Kijiji has been great the past few months. Set a new record price for leaving the item outside - $50 (I mostly do that for $10-$40). Was heading to golf and then out of town the next day.

It's a nice feeling to leave dozens of items out in that price range and never have a single issue.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 12:06 AM   #659
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sold a car, for my asking price, to the first guy who came, when he said we would, and don’t haggle or hum or haw, and had cash. People aren’t so bad.
Old 07-20-2021, 06:04 AM   #660
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Sunnyvale?
Canyon Meadows. They never seem to mind, especially when you drop bulky items off there after hours.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote