Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2021, 05:16 PM   #21
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

How about Cansas City Canadian Pacific Railways.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #22
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
The new Heritage livery (and the military units) on the new SD70acu are giving it a run for the money.
I worked on the design team for those units in 2019. If you don't have it already, there is a book out on the military units:

https://www.cp-merchandise.com/ca-st...olours-78.html

All profits go to the Homes For Heroes Foundation to support veterans in need.

CP has a ton of really amazing history, and I hope that doesn't get lost in the merger. From a business standpoint I understand why they want to make a change, as a company with maple leaves & beavers in its logo probably doesn't play super well with shippers in Dallas, New Orleans, or Mexico City, but CP is one of only three Class 1 railways in North America that are still operating on their original charters and I hate to see that end. (Ironically, KCS is one of the others. The 3rd is Union Pacific.)
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 12:02 AM   #23
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump, looks like CN is jumping in with a $33B offer.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Delthefunky For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #24
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there is no way CN would get approved. And further, I think CN KNOWS that. I suspect they're just jumping in to try and either screw up the deal or make CP pay more.

CN is currently the only railway with Pacific, Atlantic, and Gulf Coast access, and they probably want to keep it that way. Their N-S line is roughly parallel to KS, that isn't an approvable transaction, imo.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 11:26 PM   #25
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

CN matches CP's offer and ditches them at the altar....maybe? They have 5 days match CN's bet...and raise.

https://www.railwayage.com/freight/c...RAchannel=news

$5 billion is 5 billion....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 12:32 AM   #26
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
CN matches CP's offer and ditches them at the altar....maybe? They have 5 days match CN's bet...and raise.

CP gets a tidy breakup fee and can sit on the sidelines and wait for the TSB to render a decision.

Seems like a good deal to me.
Old 05-14-2021, 06:35 AM   #27
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post

I’d have to look around for where I read this, but an article I read basically said that the STB approval for the voting trust wasn’t expected to be a hurdle for CN. They were saying that if KCS opted for CN it would be an indication that the STB would approve that same structure for CN and that would likely go ahead easily, for now.

The big approval is expected to be much more of a process though. This far, the issue is the voting trust. The approval for an actual merger would take months and that’s why a deal wouldn’t close for another year.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 12:00 PM   #28
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, the STB has denied the voting trust for CNR and effectively killed that potential deal. CP looks to be back on at this point!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2021, 05:45 PM   #29
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Well, the STB has denied the voting trust for CNR and effectively killed that potential deal. CP looks to be back on at this point!
This is turning into quite the saga. CN investors now calling for blood as the way the CN/KCS agreement was structured now calls for a penalty payment of $1B due to the voting trust being denied in addition to the $700M they already had to pay to cover the break fee for KCS to walk away from their original deal with CP. This is likely to cost CN's CEO his job.

https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...rn-2021-08-31/

KCS has a shareholder vote scheduled for Sept. 3 to decide next steps but I fully expect CP to be back in the game.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 03-16-2023, 10:16 PM   #30
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If anyone is still interested, this merger received final approval from the US Surface Transportation Board yesterday. Day one for the new “Canadian Pacific Kansas City” Will be April 14.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2023, 10:24 PM   #31
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bracing for updated brand identity. KCS has a decent colour scheme but there's so much Canadiana in CP's identity that it could be really good, or really really bad...

Last edited by RoadGame; 06-29-2023 at 02:56 AM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RoadGame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2023, 08:13 AM   #32
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

And right on que.

Quote:
The federal government is investing in a new rail park near Winnipeg to help improve the transportation of goods, a project pegged to benefit Manitoba's economy.

Federal Minister of Transport Omar Alghabra announced Wednesday the federal government will be investing $18 million in the project, which will be taken on by CentrePort Canada.

The rail park will be located just outside Winnipeg and will include a second mainline switch, several kilometres of track, a lift station and connections to access roads.

Alghabra said this project will help repair the supply chain, which has been affected by the pandemic and other global events over the past few years.
https://winnipeg.ctvnews.ca/this-loc...ipeg-1.6314857
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 09:32 AM   #33
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Honestly I think that's a good thing. Rail is probably the "greenest" method of land transportation and by far the most efficient way to move bulk commodities. It only helps our economy in the long run.
Old 03-17-2023, 09:38 AM   #34
Fuzzy14
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Makes sense geographically as well. People underestimate the role Winnipeg plays in our transportation network. A lot of the goods we use in Alberta that come from the United States go through Winnipeg first.
Fuzzy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 10:39 AM   #35
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy14 View Post
Makes sense geographically as well. People underestimate the role Winnipeg plays in our transportation network. A lot of the goods we use in Alberta that come from the United States go through Winnipeg first.
Since the 18th century Winnipeg has been the gateway to the west.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:44 PM   #36
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Honestly I think that's a good thing. Rail is probably the "greenest" method of land transportation and by far the most efficient way to move bulk commodities. It only helps our economy in the long run.
Absolutely. And something the feds should be involved in making work.

Just interesting how they had this ready to go on the basis that the CP deal goes through.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 12:54 PM   #37
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what's the over/under on how long until corporate HQ moves south?
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:06 PM   #38
Delthefunky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
"Probably" is definitely an understatement. A train can move 1 ton of material 500 miles with 1 gallon of fuel. And as common as derailments are, I'm sure highway accident are worse.
Delthefunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 12:17 PM   #39
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGame View Post
Bracing for updated brand identity. KCS has a decent colour scheme but there's so much Canadiana in CP's identity that it be really good, or really really bad...

Just add yellow?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 09:33 AM   #40
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm really hoping we don't lose the Canadian Pacific identity in all of this. Such an iconic Canadian brand/company. Glimmer of hope is that CP is ultimately buying KCS. A merged name could be a temporary thing and eventually you see the Canadian Pacific side of things becoming the more dominate force in the company.