Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:31 PM   #2261
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
FFS, read a book T@T. The IRA is/was a group made up of prodominately Catholics. So if he was an "IRA freak", he would be a Catholic killing Protestants. Note, that there is/was a Protestant militia equivalent in the UDF (Ulster Defense Force, terrorists). Not to be confused with the UDR (Ulster Defense Regiment, legit soldiers) which was a division of the British military.

Or the RUC, which was the police force (although my experience with a night out on the piss with the 7's team tells me that didn't really care for the Catholics).
Old 10-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #2262
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Or the RUC, which was the police force (although my experience with a night out on the piss with the 7's team tells me that didn't really care for the Catholics).
RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary) still exists and are the national police of Northern Ireland. Their dislike of Catholics probably stems from having their cars, and police stations shot at, or blown-up, for a couple of generations. Thankfully, most of that violence is behind them.
Old 10-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #2263
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacker View Post
RUC (Royal Ulster Constabulary) still exists and are the national police of Northern Ireland. Their dislike of Catholics probably stems from having their cars, and police stations shot at, or blown-up, for a couple of generations. Thankfully, most of that violence is behind them.

One can only hope that all the violence is behind them.

Yeah, I know they still exist.

Last edited by undercoverbrother; 10-02-2015 at 02:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #2264
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The RUC was always a totally Protestant police force that long before the troubles treated Catholics badly, the violence in Northern Ireland grew out of the visceral hatred they have for each other coupled with the absolute dominance of the Protestants over the Catholics politically economically and in every other way.

In defence of the proddies, they are bigoted ignorant efftards to every other minority as well, not just Catholics.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:50 PM   #2265
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-02-2015, 05:02 PM   #2266
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

"I wonder what Jesse Rau thinks of this", said no one in the history of the universe.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 10-02-2015, 05:05 PM   #2267
Dogbert
First Line Centre

Exp:

Be careful when you're talking about possible regulations and restrictions that could come of this, as we wouldn't want to politicize tragedy.

We must wait an appropriate amount of time to address this - which, as luck would have it, happens to be just long enough that everyone forgets about the problem, thus ensuring that nothing is learned and no changes are made.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dogbert For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #2268
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Thomas Jefferson

And more.

Quote:
No work of man is perfect. It is inevitable that, in the course of time, the imperfections of a written Constitution will become apparent. Moreover, the passage of time will bring changes in society which a Constitution must accommodate if it is to remain suitable for the nation. It was imperative, therefore, that a practicable means of amending the Constitution be provided.

Thomas Jefferson to A. Coray, 1823.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2015, 11:28 PM   #2269
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Bill Mayer on the latest nightmare. Have to say Adam Gopnik is a sharp dude, look up his work at the New Yorker.

The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #2270
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 10-04-2015, 05:11 PM   #2271
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

Old 10-04-2015, 05:13 PM   #2272
Drak
First Line Centre

Exp:

It would be interesting in know when the "well regulated militia" part stated in the 2nd amendment became misinterpreted or ignored
Old 10-04-2015, 05:21 PM   #2273
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
It would be interesting in know when the "well regulated militia" part stated in the 2nd amendment became misinterpreted or ignored
2008, District of Columbia vs. Heller
Old 10-04-2015, 06:08 PM   #2274
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Four California High School Students Arrested for Alleged Mass Shooting Plot

Quote:
BY LINDSAY KIMBLE @lekimble 10/04/2015 AT 05:40 PM EDT
Four students at Summerville High School in Tuolumne, California, were arrested for allegedly plotting a school shooting, the Tuolumne County Sheriff said in a press conference on Saturday.

Sheriff Jim Mele claimed that the students involved were planning to "come on campus, and shoot and kill as many people as possible at the campus."

The Summerville High School administration contacted the sheriff's office on Wednesday to report three of the students, who were identified by classmates who found their behavior suspicious. The authorities immediately launched an investigation, which involved interviews with the suspects, as well as school staff and students, and two search warrants. During the investigation the sheriff's office says that they discovered that a fourth student was involved, Mele said on Saturday.

"Detectives located evidence verifying a plot to shoot staff and students at Summerville High School," said Mele. "The suspects' plan was very detailed in nature and included names of would-be victims, locations and the methods in which the plan was to be carried out."

The sheriff said no weapons were found as it was "very early stages" of the alleged plot, but that "this was a very, very serious threat that they had planned to carry out, at a time, that I don't want to divulge at this time."

All four students' families were cooperative during the investigation, and the suspects were subsequently turned over to the Tuolumne County Probation Department after arrest on Friday, according to Mele.

Summerville Union High School District Superintendent Robert Griffith said that "within a very short period of time [the school district] knew they didn't have an immediate threat to safety," which is why the school didn't go into lockdown. He added that "about 1,000" phone messages were sent to parents on Thursday relaying information about the incident.

Mele said there is no further threat to students or staff at Summerville, and said the names of the suspects will not be released as they're juveniles. He added that no further details will be released at this time.

Full video of the press conference was shared to the Sheriff's Facebook page.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:09 AM   #2275
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I have a right wing friend who is very passionate in defending GMO issues. But he's otherwise quite a right wing nutter, I do enjoy getting peek into the minds of people like that through him. It started off with a post about how this is the wrong time to be talking about gun control (Fox news talking point #1)..

Here's a few more of his posts:

Old 10-05-2015, 06:13 AM   #2276
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Give your buddy these numbers since he only showing assault type guns.

32,351 total deaths by:

or a much smaller number with these:

In the end I guess Obama wins (not that I believe those stats have anything to do directly with Obamacare)
The Following User Says Thank You to T@T For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 06:31 AM   #2277
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

T@T got one you'll love

Old 10-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #2278
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus help us all. I don't like painting myself with the broad brush of conservative or liberal since I like to formulate my own ideas on things, but I suppose most of my opinions fall into the conservative basket.

Having said that, some of the right wing filth in the media supporting the right to arms is sickening. They just deflect, deflect, deflect. It's not the gun's fault, it's everything else. (Including healthcare now apparently).

I want to grab these gun nuts and literally shake them.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 AM   #2279
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Jesus help us all. I don't like painting myself with the broad brush of conservative or liberal since I like to formulate my own ideas on things, but I suppose most of my opinions fall into the conservative basket.

Having said that, some of the right wing filth in the media supporting the right to arms is sickening. They just deflect, deflect, deflect. It's not the gun's fault, it's everything else. (Including healthcare now apparently).

I want to grab these gun nuts and literally shake them.
You might want to wear a bullet proof vest if you do that.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #2280
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

The mental health argument is a distraction. Nothing more. There should be an avalanche of mental health reforms being passed every week in state legislatures. There's no anti-mental health lobby keeping people scared of the government.
Closed Thread