Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2019, 10:30 PM   #1221
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think we can safely say the AFC North sucks. 8-8 probably wins the division.
The entire AFC outside of New England is pretty mediocre right now. The Ravens will win at least 9 games. I think the Browns will still be a 8-8 team. Just over one year ago they won 0 games in their past 18...and had 1 in 34 games. So to win 7 last year was a huge step forward, and teams who spike that drastically fall back the next year or fight to stay where they were.

I will be interested to keep an eye on the 49'ers. Good defence, run game, and OLine with a QB who can manage games well enough to win. I am interested to see how they match up against Seattle or LA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2019, 06:49 AM   #1222
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
They may have the worst D outside Miami in the league and Just lost Jefferson.

They should get to 9 wins , but what a weird feeling seeing a bad Balt D
I'm looking at their schedule and I don't see how anyone can think 9 wins is guaranteed. They have the Bengals twice and the Jets but 8 wins to me looks more reasonable.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:09 AM   #1223
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baker needs to grow up a bit.

Quote:
When Baker Mayfield, the Cleveland Browns' brash second-year quarterback, refused to shake Sherman's hand at midfield just before the coin toss that preceded Monday night's game at Levi's Stadium, it triggered him -- and many of his Niners teammates -- in a profound way.

It would be an exaggeration to cite Mayfield's snub of Sherman and fellow captain DeForest Buckner as the driving force behind the 49ers' 31-3 beatdown of the Browns in front of 70,042 fans and a Monday Night Football audience, but it was a topic of discussion among the Niners before, during and after the game.

"What's amazing, and annoying, was him not shaking hands at the beginning," Sherman said. "That's some college s---. It's ridiculous. We're all trying to get psyched up, but shaking hands with your opponent -- that's NFL etiquette. And when you pull bush league stuff, that's disrespectful to the game. And believe me, that's gonna get us fired up."
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 07:43 AM   #1224
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The entire AFC outside of New England is pretty mediocre right now. The Ravens will win at least 9 games. I think the Browns will still be a 8-8 team. Just over one year ago they won 0 games in their past 18...and had 1 in 34 games. So to win 7 last year was a huge step forward, and teams who spike that drastically fall back the next year or fight to stay where they were.

I will be interested to keep an eye on the 49'ers. Good defence, run game, and OLine with a QB who can manage games well enough to win. I am interested to see how they match up against Seattle or LA.
Browns play Hawks and Pats next. Will likely be 2-5 going into second half. Schedule gets easier after that, but 8-8 seems like a reach now.

Baker has been bad, but measured Browns fans are saying he has no protection.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 08:27 AM   #1225
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm looking at their schedule and I don't see how anyone can think 9 wins is guaranteed. They have the Bengals twice and the Jets but 8 wins to me looks more reasonable.
Browns at home . Steelers again .

Plus for all Lamar’s faults he always has the ability to go off and win a game .

I don’t think 9-7 is a guarantee, just that they have 5 easy games left and are well coached.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:47 PM   #1226
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Browns play Hawks and Pats next. Will likely be 2-5 going into second half. Schedule gets easier after that, but 8-8 seems like a reach now.

Baker has been bad, but measured Browns fans are saying he has no protection.
Well they still get Pittsburgh twice, and Cincinatti twice, plus the Jets, Dolphins, and my preseason AFC West winning Bronco's . Plus you always get these 2-5 teams who finish 8-8 and think next year there will be big things.

The offensive line has warts for sure right now. It's not the old days of Alex Mack, Joe Thomas, and Mitchel Schwartz protecting terrible QB's. Now it's lots of skill players, and QB who can make plays, but poor protection.

If they can use Chubb to establish a run game and pass of that, the O-Line likely can protect enough. But last night they got into trouble early, and once they were forced off the run game, the Niners who's depth of pass rushers rivals anyone in the NFL were able to attack non stop. The offence has potential, but right now, they are like many teams in the NFL where if they fall behind early, it will be a rare occasion for them to get back into it.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #1227
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Baker needs to grow up a bit.
He is, very quickly, heading towards bust territory.

Not because he can't play the game (though there are some rather obvious holes there as well) but because its becoming apparent the spotlight is too big for him at this point. I'm cheering for the kid and for the Browns (just because of their recent history), but he isn't "all that" yet and he needs to understand it.

He needs a mentor....someone who has been there and done that, both good and bad. A Derek Anderson or Matt Cassell type of guy.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #1228
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was cheering for Mayfield last season but his big mouth combined with an inability to back it up is a pretty bad look. I said it in the beginning of the thread before the season started that Kitchens may be in over his head and it certainly looks like it in the first 1/4 of the season. Not enough leadership in that locker room.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #1229
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
He is, very quickly, heading towards bust territory.

Not because he can't play the game (though there are some rather obvious holes there as well) but because its becoming apparent the spotlight is too big for him at this point. I'm cheering for the kid and for the Browns (just because of their recent history), but he isn't "all that" yet and he needs to understand it.

He needs a mentor....someone who has been there and done that, both good and bad. A Derek Anderson or Matt Cassell type of guy.
One of Colt McCoy or Case Keenum could be had easily enough I would think. Although maybe a guy like Alex Smith next year could be a good mentor, guy who came from a spread offence, really struggled early, but persevered, and had a few decent seasons before a nasty injury stopped him.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:56 PM   #1230
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

So...just watching Tim and Sid.

Lots of clear video that Mayfield DID shake Shermans hand pre game.

WTF Sherman? You rip a guy for something that is patently false? Of course Sherman is another guy who thinks an awful lot about himself too.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...eo-casts-doubt

Last edited by transplant99; 10-08-2019 at 03:59 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2019, 09:41 AM   #1231
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO Sherman is kind of a hot head. He will probably do good on TV when he's done though as a Stephen A Smith hot-take machine for a network carrying the NFL.

Edit: Supposedly he's going to apologize according to ESPN;

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...baker-mayfield
Old 10-10-2019, 07:41 PM   #1232
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like an ACL for Josh Gordon
Old 10-12-2019, 12:16 PM   #1233
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

LOL!!

Quote:
Despite saying last month that he wouldn't play in the NFL anymore, wide receiver Antonio Brown wants to resolve his off-field issues so he can get back onto the field soon, sources told ESPN's Jeremy Fowler.

Sources said Brown hopes to have his playing status cleared up in the next few weeks before signing with an NFL team.
No one will touch him at this point. He is every bit as delusional as he is a diva.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:22 PM   #1234
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It appears Brown is finally realizing that no player is bigger than the league and the NFL will move on quickly without you. He has nobody to blame but himself for not playing this season.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #1235
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ He's not realizing anything, and he's the same self entitled jerk he's been since his Steelers days and through these past 2 months.

This "report" that news outlets run with, is from his agent Rosenhaus, and as an aside, a testament to the power and clout Rosenhaus has in manging the message and the PR situation. Brown got hit with a couple stories from the past after he signed with the Pats, so the agent had to let some of that play out and cool down out of the media for a few weeks, until he now seeds this to allow sports networks now to start rebuilding the hype in the media, to fans and to teams.

And the calculation of timing by Rosenhaus is also aided by the fact that he knows some teams that are already on the playoff bubble, or not on the bubble but think they should be, even this early, may overlook Browns transgressions short term if it means getting in the playoffs this year.

Speaking of divas, it can't be too much longer until there's a full blown Beckham sideline or post game blowup. Without the watch and lost earring story that took up previous weeks, there was already rumblings this week how he needs to get the ball more and that's only going to amplfy, no matter how the team does.

Last edited by browna; 10-12-2019 at 02:48 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #1236
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's one thing Jameis enjoys doing more than committing sexual assault, it's turning the ball over.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:34 AM   #1237
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Yeah two plays in a row where he held the ball too long.

The free kick to end the half was something different.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:12 AM   #1238
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The easy way to defend KC is let them penalize hemselves into ending drives. You will never compete with the Patriots let alone beat them doing this.

*edit*
Of course plays like that by Tyreek...can get you off the hook. Bad guy... great talent.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 10-13-2019 at 11:16 AM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:16 AM   #1239
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mahomes is such a cheat code he gets 115 yards passing in a drive.
Old 10-13-2019, 11:26 AM   #1240
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Shoot-out on Lake Erie.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote