Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #81
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

I acknowledge that McMahon isn't a great stadium but for me as a long time fan, I like the nostalgia aspect if you will. I enjoy going to McMahon and always will as it is a great location and the viewing is quite good. Of course a new stadium would be nice but not holding my breath
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #82
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
I acknowledge that McMahon isn't a great stadium but for me as a long time fan, I like the nostalgia aspect if you will. I enjoy going to McMahon and always will as it is a great location and the viewing is quite good. Of course a new stadium would be nice but not holding my breath
I'm in your camp. I actually prefer McMahon to any potential replacement. I tailgate before games and love that I can go back out to the parking lot at halftime. The sight-lines from any seat are impressive for it's age and quite frankly it suits the league. The biggest problems with the stadium are the concourse, bathrooms, sound and scoreboard. Those are all things that can be improved in reno that won't cost the $250 million or so that it would cost to build a new stadium.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2019, 12:54 PM   #83
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I'm in your camp. I actually prefer McMahon to any potential replacement. I tailgate before games and love that I can go back out to the parking lot at halftime. The sight-lines from any seat are impressive for it's age and quite frankly it suits the league. The biggest problems with the stadium are the concourse, bathrooms, sound and scoreboard. Those are all things that can be improved in reno that won't cost the $250 million or so that it would cost to build a new stadium.
I remember watching games at McMahon back in the "Rick Johnson" era and even before that, so I do enjoy it but the problems you mentioned are accurate, it certainly shows its age.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #84
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
This is it for me. Considering the limitations of the CFL and our weather, McMahon serves its purpose just fine. it obviously doesn't compare to the newer stadiums, but that's like comparing a 1998 Toyota Corolla to a 2018 Audi. They're not the same but nobody is suggesting they are (or should be).

I've been to a handful of stadiums in recent years and all were older:

Commonwealth
BC Place
LA Coliseum
Rose Bowl

While McMahon sits last on that list (no central jumbotron, lack of bathrooms, etc), they all had their pros and cons, and all served their purpose IMO.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #85
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
This is it for me. Considering the limitations of the CFL and our weather, McMahon serves its purpose just fine. it obviously doesn't compare to the newer stadiums, but that's like comparing a 1998 Toyota Corolla to a 2018 Audi. They're not the same but nobody is suggesting they are (or should be).

Commonwealth
BC Place
LA Coliseum
Rose Bowl

While McMahon sits last on that list (no central jumbotron, lack of bathrooms, etc), they all had their pros and cons, and all served their purpose IMO.
I don't know if you can count BC Place as old when it recently had a half billion dollar renovation. I mean that's basically a new stadium at that point.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:17 PM   #86
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Commonwealth
BC Place
LA Coliseum
Rose Bowl

Agree with your point, but both BC Place and Commonwealth are newer then McMahon, and have had many more millions spent on them since they opened than the U of C/Stamps have spent on McMahon.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:39 PM   #87
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I agree with basically all of this discussion about McMahon.

I like going to games there. When I go, I almost always buy a really cheap seat ($20), and I wonder if those would exist in a brand-new, expensive stadium.

It certainly could be improved with a few renovations, but with the direction the league is going (declining attendance, largely supported by a cable TV audience), I can't see why you would build a new stadium.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #88
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Agree with your point, but both BC Place and Commonwealth are newer then McMahon, and have had many more millions spent on them since they opened than the U of C/Stamps have spent on McMahon.
what have they done to commonwealth? everytime i drive by there it just looks cold. Like even when it's +30c and sunny outside.

It also feels like one of those old Soviet Union era type structures.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:29 PM   #89
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
what have they done to commonwealth? everytime i drive by there it just looks cold. Like even when it's +30c and sunny outside.

It also feels like one of those old Soviet Union era type structures.
Commonwealth has many items that are an upgrade from McMahon:

-Larger Concourse
-Better standard concessions
-premium seating options
-Better Scoreboard and sound

While McMahon's washrooms are many standard deviations below acceptable, somehow Commonwealth's are worse: Someone thought it was a great idea to not include urinals in the men's washrooms there. So therefore as one would expect due to the main attributes of most of it's users (drunk, football fans, Edmontonian), the cleanliness of the toilets are horrendous. I pity anyone who has to take a #2 there!
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 06:07 PM   #90
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Add me to the list of people who doesn’t mind McMahon. But it has a few critical flaws right now.

It needs to be a proper all seater. Benches with out backs are super crappy and the blues/reds are overpriced.

It needs better washrooms/food/concourse.

Those are some major upgrades but would be way less than an entirely new stadium. Fix the seating and we’re half way there. Fix the washrooms and I’m happy. Fix seats, washrooms, food and concourse and it’d be a great stadium.

I was just at the new Rider stadium. It’s nice but not crazy fancy or anything. But it had all of the above things and that made it great. The Rider murals and other cosmetic stuff is nice but doesn’t improve my actual enjoyment of the game.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:42 PM   #91
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think McMahon is awful but also admit that a full build is unlikely given economics and uncertain future of the league
So Reno it is
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #92
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

I'd like to see something done with the Red & White club. Does anyone actually go there? Maybe shrink it down somehow and put in cheap endzone seats. Or at the very least, make it so that people can comfortably walk between the east and west concourse.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 AM   #93
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would totally support a full reno at the existing site. Like many of you said the tailgating around the stadium looked super fun. The location is great(not spruce meadows) and it is accessible to a ton of parking because of the UofC.

Just put up a HUGE scoreboard. a new sound system, backs on chairs and more washrooms. and maybe a partial covering of the stadium. Can't cost more than $25mil for that right?

Also the red and white club is rented throughout the year for crazy prices. They will never make it smaller.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #94
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I would totally support a full reno at the existing site. Like many of you said the tailgating around the stadium looked super fun. The location is great(not spruce meadows) and it is accessible to a ton of parking because of the UofC.

Just put up a HUGE scoreboard. a new sound system, backs on chairs and more washrooms. and maybe a partial covering of the stadium. Can't cost more than $25mil for that right?

Also the red and white club is rented throughout the year for crazy prices. They will never make it smaller.
New scoreboard, thousands of chairs installed and creating more washrooms would likely cost a lot more than that. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it'll be surprising if/when you find out.

It's a tough decision to put seats in instead of benches, as it would cost millions yet are we at a point where CFL attendance league wide suggests nobody would be sitting up there anyways?

That would be a massive, critical failure for the Stamps to pour money into 10000 seats only to find out that the Stamps won't draw more than 27k a game no matter how nice the seats are, and guess which 10000 seats are still empty?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 12:25 PM   #95
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
New scoreboard, thousands of chairs installed and creating more washrooms would likely cost a lot more than that. I know it doesn't seem like much, but it'll be surprising if/when you find out.

It's a tough decision to put seats in instead of benches, as it would cost millions yet are we at a point where CFL attendance league wide suggests nobody would be sitting up there anyways?

That would be a massive, critical failure for the Stamps to pour money into 10000 seats only to find out that the Stamps won't draw more than 27k a game no matter how nice the seats are, and guess which 10000 seats are still empty?
Proper seats would likely reduce capacity.

I’d also guess a lot of people like me don’t go because the benches are so terrible and don’t want to pay $100-150 to sit in a proper seat.

I paid $100 to see a game in Regina and they were way better seats than I could get for the money in Calgary. Seems backwards to me considering they have a brand new stadium.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote