Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2022, 10:45 AM   #2041
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

That might have been a penalty if Gordon wasn't diving all game. But he's lost the benefit of the doubt from the ref.
Old 04-24-2022, 10:49 AM   #2042
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alexander-Arnold lucky not to be sent off there. This is the way Canada need to play in the World Cup if they're to have any chance of getting out of the group. Everton are absolutely taking the piss all match but it is effective and this is their best bet for getting a result.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 10:57 AM   #2043
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Everton have 13% possession right now. Playing to counter is one thing, but this is just embarrassing. Even Big Sam would be at 20%.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:20 AM   #2044
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Origi only scores massive goals.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:23 AM   #2045
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Alexander-Arnold lucky not to be sent off there. This is the way Canada need to play in the World Cup if they're to have any chance of getting out of the group. Everton are absolutely taking the piss all match but it is effective and this is their best bet for getting a result.
Call me crazy, but it's going to be difficult for Canada to make it to the knockout stage by scoring zero goals.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:30 AM   #2046
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
That might have been a penalty if Gordon wasn't diving all game. But he's lost the benefit of the doubt from the ref.
Thats exactly it. If you spend the entire first half ####housing and the player who goes down in the box has already been booked for diving you cant be shocked that marginal calls arent going to go your way.

That was brutal. I get it, if Everton had played that game open it could have been double digits.

The other thing that I find...really naive, was Everton's time wasting.

I did chuckle at Alisson taking the piss out of that idiot Pickford at the end there.

I mean, protecting a lead and killing clock is a strategy, but knowing you're up against Liverpool and the clock is not likely to be your ally at the end why are you time-wasting from the first minute?

Also....Divock Origi. That man scores against Everton like he takes their very existence as a Personal Insult.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:35 AM   #2047
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Call me crazy, but it's going to be difficult for Canada to make it to the knockout stage by scoring zero goals.
If they utilize the attacking system that got them through qualifying, they'll get absolutely picked apart on the counter at the World Cup.

Everton are extremely poor and I think Lampard had the tactics right today. Gordon could have scored on the handful of chances he had. Defend deep, soak up pressure, hope to shut out your opponent and get a lucky bounce for a goal on a counter attacking chance. As bad and negative as Burnley were all season under Dyche, there should be no rewards for a team that have their goalkeeper time-wasting from the very first minute. I'll be glad to see Everton go down.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #2048
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah but you can soak up pressure and still have like double the possession Everton had. Canada play better as a team than Everton right now, by a lot, so they don't have to be as completely negative.
Old 04-24-2022, 11:38 AM   #2049
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Liverpool throwing Boat Anchors at Everton's relegation battle.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-24-2022, 11:41 AM   #2050
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’d be curious to see how many points teams have gotten from games with sub 20 percent possession. I doubt it’s many.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 11:53 AM   #2051
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everton's season will come down to the Watford-Brentford-Palace stretch. If they can win those three then they will probably survive. But ain't no way you'd trust them to win even one of those. Surely this would be the most embarrassing relegation ever, their team isn't this bad on a talent level, they are just a disaster of a team.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:42 PM   #2052
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will nitpick with Lampard's comments a little.

No. You did not 'play well.' You played like absolute ass.

You did execute a negative game-plan very well though. I will concede that.

Old 04-25-2022, 08:41 AM   #2053
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Pickford’s time wasting and smile and wink are not the actions of a player who’s understands his team is in a relegation spot.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2022, 08:49 AM   #2054
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Manchester United have told Erik ten Hag he will have to oversee an evolution rather than revolution of the squad when he takes over with club chiefs distancing themselves from Ralf Rangnick's suggestion that as many as 10 players could arrive in the summer.

The Dutchman will get a veto on any signings and has also been given scope to influence shortlists of targets for key positions he believes he strengthened.

Ten Hag's summer budget -- set at between £100 million and £150m -- will be bolstered by any outgoings, and the club are willing to listen to offers for Eric Bailly, Phil Jones, Anthony Martial, Alex Telles and Aaron Wan-Bissaka.

Paul Pogba, Jesse Lingard, Nemanja Matic, Edinson Cavani and Juan Mata are set to leave on free transfers.
https://global.espn.com/football/man...en-hag-sources

Oh yeah...Clubs will be banging down your doors for that 'scratch-and-dent-bin' Rogues Gallery...

Old 04-28-2022, 01:32 PM   #2055
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

In other Managerial news around the Premier League....

Quote:
Jurgen Klopp has signed a contract extension at Liverpool that will see him remain at the club until 2026.

Klopp's deal was set to expire in 2024, with the expectation that he would take a sabbatical, but he has committed to a new contract.

"It's always hard to find the right words to adequately reflect Jurgen's importance and contribution to our club, but today's announcement really does speak for itself," Fenway Sports Group's Mike Gordon said.

"But speaking on behalf of my partners John [Henry] and Tom [Werner], as well as myself, Jürgen is the perfect figurehead for the modern Liverpool FC. This is especially true of what he stands for, on and off the pitch. It also applies to the leader he is and the man he is. Because of our extraordinary playing squad, outstanding coaches, world-class football operations team and brilliant club staff, we are blessed with the most valuable resource an organisation could wish for: amazing people."
https://global.espn.com/football/liv...ion-until-2026

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 02:47 PM   #2056
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly I know he’s not the same guy he once was….but how many points has Ronaldo salvaged for United this season.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 03:18 PM   #2057
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's the only reason also they made it out of the CL group.

The problem.....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1519781952018161666

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 05:17 PM   #2058
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Honestly I know he’s not the same guy he once was….but how many points has Ronaldo salvaged for United this season.
The thing is, people pointing out that Ronaldo is part of the problem at United aren't wrong. There are lots of issues with him such as recovery, pressing, tracking, etc. that essentially have United playing with 10 for long stretches and infringing upon the team game plan.

Furthermore, people pointing out that he scores goals and has salvaged a lot of points for them this season aren't wrong either. His goals return is staggering.

Realistically United's problem is that they have so many problems that you cant really nail down any particular one and Ronaldo is papering over a lot of cracks.

If you just want to focus on scoring goals then Ronaldo is the only one doing it. Who else is going to score? Bruno? From the spot maybe. Rashford? Martial? The hundred Million Dollar Man Sancho?

I dont think anyone can realistically have a problem with Ronaldo. He is doing precisely what he was brought in to do. He is doing his job. If that job creates drawbacks elsewhere on the pitch or in the gameplan then that sounds like the Manager's problem to solve.

Cant say that about too many other United players who are mailing this season in until they can hit the beach and cash their cheques by sea-side.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2022, 06:14 PM   #2059
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. Because United are a pressing, tracking machine whenever he's not playing.
And a 9 man pressing machine and a passenger whenever he is.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:51 AM   #2060
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rangnick is so focused on Manchester United that he's already taken a new side hustle.

Quote:
Ralf Rangnick has been confirmed as Austria's new head coach.

The 63-year-old, who has been interim manager at Manchester United since November, has signed a contract until 2024.

"I will take over as national team manager of Austria at the end of the season but will continue my consultancy with Manchester United,"
https://global.espn.com/football/man...ria-head-coach