Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #61
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Jeez Louise. That franchise needs a good team and a playoff run badly.
What they really need is a new arena in downtown Phoenix, nobody wants to make the commute out to Glendale to watch the Coyotes.
dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #62
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
this didn't really help them a few years ago
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #63
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They need to move to Houston.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #64
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
this didn't really help them a few years ago
Oh, you mean the run that was immediately followed up by a half season lockout??
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 05:03 PM   #65
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Oh, you mean the run that was immediately followed up by a half season lockout??
believe it or not every fan base experienced the lockout
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2018, 05:27 PM   #66
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Would have to be one hell of a playoff run to make up for 50M

If they played the Flames/Oilers in round one the building would be full at least
Old 08-14-2018, 05:28 PM   #67
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
believe it or not every fan base experienced the lockout
No kidding...he can talk to me when the Yotes are robbed of a cup and then have to endure an entire season lockout the following year with their two superstars in their absolute prime.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 AM   #68
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 08-15-2018, 12:44 AM   #69
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Time to bring in Larry The Liquidator to explain the facts of life of why the franchise is dead.

Old 08-15-2018, 03:14 AM   #70
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
What they really need is a new arena in downtown Phoenix, nobody wants to make the commute out to Glendale to watch the Coyotes.
If not downtown at least the other direction towards Scottsdale, put an arena just north of the airport and you'll have twice as many people 10-15 minutes away in either direction. My cousin had season tickets before the move but said no to the 40 commute even with a cheaper season ticket offer.

Bettman should be embarrassed giving a thumbs up to Glendale, it would be like the Flames playing in Airdrie or the Senators playing in Kanata and expecting fans to show up ..oh wait!
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:51 AM   #71
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
If not downtown at least the other direction towards Scottsdale, put an arena just north of the airport and you'll have twice as many people 10-15 minutes away in either direction. My cousin had season tickets before the move but said no to the 40 commute even with a cheaper season ticket offer.

Bettman should be embarrassed giving a thumbs up to Glendale, it would be like the Flames playing in Airdrie or the Senators playing in Kanata and expecting fans to show up ..oh wait!
Airdrie is closer than Glendale via a vis downtown in both cities. On the other hand, I stayed in the area not too long ago, and it's nice. and the complex and shopping area are top quality. And it's more like 20 minutes from many places in Scottsdale or some of the northern communities. But far from Mesa, DT Phoenix, Eastern Scottsdale, etc.

It's too bad they couldn't airlift the arena, which is a really nice facility, to around the Talking Stick area.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #72
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Airdrie is closer than Glendale via a vis downtown in both cities. On the other hand, I stayed in the area not too long ago, and it's nice. and the complex and shopping area are top quality. And it's more like 20 minutes from many places in Scottsdale or some of the northern communities. But far from Mesa, DT Phoenix, Eastern Scottsdale, etc.

It's too bad they couldn't airlift the arena, which is a really nice facility, to around the Talking Stick area.
Yeah, it's more like if the Flames played in Olds.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:14 AM   #73
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, it's not like that at all. The arena is right off the 101 (their version of a ring road). It's in a bad corner of it, and at the edge of town so to speak, but it's not like the arena is a 30 minute drive from the metropolitan area.

I agree with the poster above that Talking Stick would be a great location.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 11:29 AM   #74
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
No, it's not like that at all. The arena is right off the 101 (their version of a ring road). It's in a bad corner of it, and at the edge of town so to speak, but it's not like the arena is a 30 minute drive from the metropolitan area.

This. Not saying Glendale is a good location but not like it’s in a small town somewhere. The Cardinals play right there.

Let’s get this team in Houston please.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #75
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

NFL teams are able to survive better in a more-remote location because they only play 8 home games a year and almost all of them are on Sunday afternoons.

That's a much harder sell 41 times a year, with a large percentage of games being on weekday evenings.

At this point, it's hard to see the Phoenix market being salvageable.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #76
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
NFL teams are able to survive better in a more-remote location because they only play 8 home games a year and almost all of them are on Sunday afternoons.

That's a much harder sell 41 times a year, with a large percentage of games being on weekday evenings.

At this point, it's hard to see the Phoenix market being salvageable.
It doesn't hurt that each team gets TV money right off the bat that covers the cost for players in that season.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #77
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

this is why part of me scoffs at the notion that the NHL BOG would ever agree to moving the flames.

there's a number of struggling franchises, like Arizona, who you would have to believe are higher priorities to move if at all possible...

Coyotes and financial woes threads are the groundhog day of this former now that Iggy has retired...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #78
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

That is not accurate at all in my experience. I was in Phoenix a few times for work and went to a few games this year. It’s easily an hour to get to the game from Downtown (can be more of during peak traffic, I’ve had it take close to an hour and a half). It would take me 30-40 minutes to get home after the game though at 10:30 with nothing for traffic.

I don’t think Phoenix is a hockey market but let’s not pretend the location of that rink is not a big issue for that team. It might be on the 101, but it’s on the very far end of it and the metropolitan area around it is basically low income which won’t be going to a hockey game anytime soon. All the money in Phoenix is Scottsdale and South. For hockey to ever succeed there, that’s where the arena needs to be. Pretty unfortunate though as the Gila River Arena is a very nice complex with a #### location.

You can’t compare people be willing to drive to a Cardinals game with hockey. Football is an event that occurs only 8 times a year and is at the heart of American culture. Hockey is a niche sport in most of the US. It’s like comparing the Flames and the Roughnecks here in Calgary. If the Flames played way down South in Quarry Park, I wouldn’t like it but I would still go the games. I would flat out stop going to Roughneck games though where as I go to the odd game here and there now at the Dome. It’s like the soccer team in Calgary. If they played downtown i’d go. Zero chance I’m going to Spruce Meadows though.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 08-15-2018 at 12:31 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #79
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
It doesn't hurt that each team gets TV money right off the bat that covers the cost for players in that season.
Regardless of that, they're still putting butts in the seats for their games, and they're not just giving the tickets away for free.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #80
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking forward to them moving so then can get a new name and get rid of that goddamn howl
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote