Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2008, 06:58 PM   #181
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

^ That's what I was thinking. We've crossed a line here with these types of commercials. I hope we can go back.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:00 PM   #182
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Anything that is on CBC or Sportsnet. Especially on Sportsnet.

I want the Toyota guy (just what the hell is that supposed to be anyway? parody? comedy? serious?) and the Panago fat construction guy to be brutally attacked by the animals on the Telus commericials and have it all burn down in a blaze of glory. Also, I will never shop at Safeway or wear a Buluva men's watch...or goto speedy auto glass.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:14 PM   #183
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hannah Montana!..... Milie Cyrus!..... Hannah Montana!....
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 PM   #184
iamca
First Line Centre

Exp:

Those Fox hockey commercials that they just change the team, but everything else is the same...BRUTAL! Worse if you live in the US, because they play them to death.

Ford commerical where they swap vehicles and that chick that says "like" every other word... and says something incoherent about being "luxurious"...makes me wanna puke.

Enterprise rental car, "Hello Enterprise, I'm at the repair shop..." stupidity.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #185
Eastern Girl
Crushed

Exp:

I hate the Wendys commercials with the girl doing the voiceover saying "It's waaaay delicious." Terrible that they've adopted valley girl speak as their slogan.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 PM   #186
Crispy's Critter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

can't believe noone has mentioned the stupid tim horton's roast beef sandwich commercial where the stupid 'family' or whatever is sitting down eating in a furniture warehouse. All I can say is WTF???

Crispy's Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 12:15 AM   #187
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

I have to this day refused to purchase any Dr. Scholls "Gellin" insoles, even though they look really comfy, based on my deep and passionate loathing for their 'Are you Gellin?' add campaign.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 05:31 AM   #188
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Gigaloo lubricant commercial where the end scene is an old lady taking the can upstairs with her...grosse! Right now the current champion has to be the "No Nook" commercial though. Every other commercial is this one and I am now hoping Scotiabank headquarters burns to the ground! "What about a breakfast nook?" "NO NOOK, SUCKY SUCKY, TWO DOLLA!!!"
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:23 AM   #189
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
"What about a breakfast nook?" "NO NOOK, SUCKY SUCKY, TWO DOLLA!!!"
The more I see that comercial; the more I wonder if we are missing the joke they wanted to give.

What if the Asian couple is mistaking the word "nook" for "nookie."

It is hard to imagine; their English accents seem to indicate that they have been in Canada for decades, but you never know.

I know we have some Asian members on the board. Does anybody know what language they are speaking; and if so what they are saying?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 07:34 AM   #190
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I know we have some Asian members on the board. Does anybody know what language they are speaking; and if so what they are saying?
Someone posted it I think in a gameday thread but apparently they are speaking Mandarin and the guy asks his wife, "What does 'nook' mean?" and she responds by saying "Like what your sister has in her kitchen."
Old 04-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #191
ZDogg
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Add me to the Nook Haters. I was about to rip my tv out during game 5 when that thing on every commercial break. Glad I came in here and saw all the negative comments about it... I thought it was just me.

As mentioned by someone else... lets go burn the Scotiabank head office down before they play it any more.
ZDogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM   #192
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Someone posted it I think in a gameday thread but apparently they are speaking Mandarin and the guy asks his wife, "What does 'nook' mean?" and she responds by saying "Like what your sister has in her kitchen."
Yup that's what they say.

I actually kind of like that commercial. That's pretty much a normal conversation I would have with my banker.

Now my mom is racist, when she saw it she said "This commercial is wrong, why would Chinese people need banking advice from a white person?"...

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 AM   #193
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another poster mentioned it but those dumb popcorn shakers from Orville Reddenbacher can lick my taint. What the hell is that guy on the couch doing? He looks up, moves over and then a block of cheese hits him in the head? Just akward.

Also, those "transparent" logo's that are on during the whole show are starting to get bigger and bigger. Pretty soon they'll take over. Bonus points go to the animated ads that are appearing during a show. That's one trend that is starting to scare me.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #194
604flames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamca View Post
Enterprise rental car, "Hello Enterprise, I'm at the repair shop..." stupidity.
"Why didn't you rent me a bigger car!"
604flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM   #195
TrendyDoppelganger
Draft Pick

does anybody know what the people say in the scotiabank nook people commercial? I would love to translate, but what language is it...? help somebody!
TrendyDoppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #196
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^^
Like six posts up.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:58 AM   #197
MaxPower
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

On the radio, the lady answers the phone and serious voice guy tells her there's been an accident involving her husband and kids. Speed was a factor. Can someone drive you? etc....

Luckily for me, I've never heard a call like that, but should "Speed was a factor" really be the third thing the guy says? That would be last thing on my mind if I received such a call. Just seems like they're forcing their message here.

I would rather hear one that says "Some A-hole texting on his cell phone on the Deerfoot was a factor", or more accurately, "...was the cause".
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #198
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDogg View Post
Add me to the Nook Haters. I was about to rip my tv out during game 5 when that thing on every commercial break. Glad I came in here and saw all the negative comments about it... I thought it was just me.

As mentioned by someone else... lets go burn the Scotiabank head office down before they play it any more.
Scotia is by far the worst of the major banks in Canada. Worked there for 2 years and can't believe how archaic they are.

Don't worry about the commercials as they will run out of money soon. Like who the hell will rush to scotiabank after watching their pathetic commercials.

Banker wearing a tiara.
Senile retired couple who can only communicate by writing.

hahaha just pathetic.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:12 AM   #199
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastern Girl View Post
I hate the Wendys commercials with the girl doing the voiceover saying "It's waaaay delicious." Terrible that they've adopted valley girl speak as their slogan.

The thing I find strange is they have the same commercials in the States, but the slogan is "It's waaay better than fast food."

Did they think Canadians and Americans would not comprehend the commercials the same way?
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM   #200
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Not sure if I've mentioned it before, but the singing mini wheat deserves to die.

It's funny, now when I hear a bad ad my first thought is "I'm going to roast that thing on CP when I get home".
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bad commercials , bunchowhiners , eww spence diamonds "guy" , eww vagisil , spence sucks , subway sucks , telus sucks