Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2023, 11:48 AM   #141
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Poland's plans are dirt cheap. I was on a plan that cost me about $10 (30zl) for 20 GB. Then consider the EU rule that all mobile plans from member states are required to work in each member country. Man, one thing I miss about living in PL is the extremely low cost for mobile plans. Incomprehensible to people who live here . Even with this "amazing" deal (which it really isn't), it's still a rip off versus buying a sim card there. Believe me, your Mom will do just fine getting a sim card there and renewing it every month.

Personally I don't trust that plan to be cheaper than just buying a sim card in most of those countries. I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's still cheaper to buy a local sim card in most/all of those countries, instead of using that roaming plan. Never understood why people bother with all these ####ty North American roaming plans when it is significantly easier/cheaper to just buy a sim card there. Money in the wind. I guess if you travel around various countries on that list during most of the year it might balance out. But for someone popping in and out of Europe once a year, nah.
Yeah, my mom has a phone in Poland as well but the continuity issue is that she can't receive any calls, voicemails or texts from her number here in Canada when she is over there. Having a North America and Europe plan would keep her contacted much better.

Plus she runs into the occasional MFA issue when her bank wants to send a verification code to her phone.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 11:49 AM   #142
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Yeah, my brother and I have been trying to lower the cost of our plans. But we've been getting run arounds for a long time. That's why we've been suspecting that retentions doesn't actually exist anymore. It's a dumping ground.

We along with my mom are on $55 for 50GB plans (same account from years ago, we pay for parents phone plans). Saving $21x3 per month would be huge for us too, if we can get through and change our plans to that. I was able to swap my dad from a $45 plan to the $34 plan before the site crashed as his was on a its own account that I pay and manager.

Fingers crossed it goes through for at least that one.
It took me a while to get through on live chat, but I kept refreshing and trying over and over again and eventually it let me join the queue. After that it was only about 15 more minutes as I got closer to the front of the line. If you're able to get through, then I suspect that you'd have some luck with the agent.

I was pretty happy this summer when I got my plan down from $65 to $55. But going down to $34, times 2 lines, is $504/year in total. That's nothing to sneeze at.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 02:57 PM   #143
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
It took me a while to get through on live chat, but I kept refreshing and trying over and over again and eventually it let me join the queue. After that it was only about 15 more minutes as I got closer to the front of the line. If you're able to get through, then I suspect that you'd have some luck with the agent.

I was pretty happy this summer when I got my plan down from $65 to $55. But going down to $34, times 2 lines, is $504/year in total. That's nothing to sneeze at.
I keep getting a dumb bot on the chat and I can't get to where I need to go. Tried calling in and it literally went, "Thank you for calling Fido. Our offices are exceptionally closed." and then it hung out. WTF is exceptionally closed?

I think my issue is that the online portal keeps crashing on the "change plan" splash page. I guess I'll try technical support phone number next and then join the live chat if that doesn't work.

If this works, I'm saving about $720 ish a year on 3 plans (2 x $55 and 1x $52). So I too am really hoping to get through and get it sorted out.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:03 PM   #144
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am having the same issue - got the "exceptionally closed" message. If you figure out a way to get through let me know as this is a great deal I don't want to miss.
Old 11-24-2023, 05:46 PM   #145
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I am having the same issue - got the "exceptionally closed" message. If you figure out a way to get through let me know as this is a great deal I don't want to miss.
I can't even log in from other computers to try. App and website are down. 611 gives me the exceptionally close message. Chat is now on a loop of the FAQ and I can't get to an actual person.

Time to take a break and go for a walk. I'll give it another shot in a few hours. Hopefully I can get it. I'd even be happy with a $40 for 40GB or even 30GB deal.
Old 11-24-2023, 07:19 PM   #146
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Well, I can use My Account now online, but when I go to pick a plan, the $34 option is not there. Chat and phoning in both reject me so I can't even wait in a queue or on hold. I'm not hopeful - I think this might have been a screw up and it was supposed to only be for new subscribers.
Old 11-25-2023, 08:56 AM   #147
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone speak Public Mobil's coverage? I know they use Telus but has anyone had issues in Calgary?
They have a 40GB for $34 and it's 5G instead of LTE.
I woke up this morning convinced the kids would go with Virgin and their $34 plan but this one seems quite a bit better.

What am I missing?
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2023, 10:43 AM   #148
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did it this morning. Called 1-844-885-1901 to get a fido rep directly. Got $39 for 40GB plans plus $5 pre auth payment discount to net to $34.

That's what I got for self serve yesterday so it seems right
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 03:39 PM   #149
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I did it this morning. Called 1-844-885-1901 to get a fido rep directly. Got $39 for 40GB plans plus $5 pre auth payment discount to net to $34.

Nice! I was pulling for you, and was about to suggest trying today.

That’s exactly what I got - the $34 includes the same $5 discount for autopay.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2023, 04:07 PM   #150
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Huge thanks for posting the phone number! It seemed to be a different queue compared to the 611 line. I was able to get the $34 rate on both lines, though he did say that included a $6/month credit that was only available for 24 months. I can live with that and didn't want to argue further, especially now that the website was showing the deal only for new activations.

Thanks CP!
Old 11-27-2023, 12:06 PM   #151
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

The plans apparently kept escalating on Saturday with Fido and Koodo and a few others doing some musical chairs with their offerings and there's $29/30GB options and $34 net for 40GB + international minutes or 50GB (probably due to Cyber Monday).

But I'm good with where I got to for $34/40GB on my 4 plans and I'm not going to go through another marathon to tweak it a little bit more for something slightly incremental.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2023, 12:29 PM   #152
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For anyone with Koodo not seeing the '50 GB for $35 - 4G speed' plan in their self serve account...

- Send a direct message to Koodo on Twitter

"Hello, I don't see the 50 GB for $34 plan in my self-serve account. Many of my friends are seeing it. I am tempted to switch to Fido for this price. I was wondering if the 50 GB for $35 plan could be added to my self-serve account? My number is XXX-XXX-XXXX (Name). Thank you for your time!

[5 minutes later]

Quote:
We'll be happy to look into the options for you. Please authenticate your account using this link
Quote:
We appreciate your loyalty and we can offer you a $35 50 GB plan with 4 G speed and unlimited talk & text.
Quote:
It's updated now and you will see it if you logout and log back in.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 11-28-2023 at 12:32 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2023, 12:48 PM   #153
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Speaking of switching plans, I moved my son's account with Koodo to one of their 5G plans. ($45 for 60 GB; not the cheapest option but we are happy.) He is not getting 5G on his iPhone 12. We tried a reboot, in and out of airplane mode, and remove and re-insert the SIM. Still on LTE.

I spent 40 minutes on a callback today from a very unhelpful person, and he said the issue is Koodo's 5G doesn't work on iPhone 12. I asked him what iPhones it does work on, and that was another 5 minutes to get an unsure answer of iPhone 14 or 15.

My thought is he likely needs a new SIM card, as his is 4 years old and pre-dates Koodo having 5G. I am wondering if anybody else has run into this before I go to a Koodo store.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 01:09 PM   #154
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Speaking of switching plans, I moved my son's account with Koodo to one of their 5G plans. ($45 for 60 GB; not the cheapest option but we are happy.) He is not getting 5G on his iPhone 12. We tried a reboot, in and out of airplane mode, and remove and re-insert the SIM. Still on LTE.

I spent 40 minutes on a callback today from a very unhelpful person, and he said the issue is Koodo's 5G doesn't work on iPhone 12. I asked him what iPhones it does work on, and that was another 5 minutes to get an unsure answer of iPhone 14 or 15.

My thought is he likely needs a new SIM card, as his is 4 years old and pre-dates Koodo having 5G. I am wondering if anybody else has run into this before I go to a Koodo store.
Has the phone's iOS been updated to 16.6 ?

https://community.koodomobile.com/pl...etwork-7820908

Reset of network settings?

https://community.koodomobile.com/ti...change-7822244

^^ Sounds like this person had to escalate it to Telus technical support and get them to reset something on their end.

As far as I know the SIM is just used to register the device on the network.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2023, 02:06 PM   #155
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
One trick that people have done to get access to the 5G network is to convert the SIM card to an ESIM:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Koodo/comme...ing_for_it_by/

On Android, I was able to get access (on a 4G plan) by changing the free perk that's given in recent Koodo plans.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to accord1999 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2023, 02:19 PM   #156
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I actually had a true 5G plan(I learned most 5G plans are actually LTE masked as 5G) this summer and still do, yet had to turn off 5G. I am with Telus and there is a handoff issue where your on a Teams call driving and if you leave a 5G spot it would resent the entire cell connection. Real PIA especially when you drive near downtown.

I am totally happy with LTE its actually stable and totally enough for me. 200mbps is enough to do anything these days.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 02:41 PM   #157
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Make sure you check if your employer is part of the EPP with Telus. Just got a 100gb Canada/us plan for $60.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 03:15 PM   #158
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I wonder if it's a faulty SIM card too.

I know someone who switched to Koodo. Their incoming isn't working at all. Koodo claimed it's because Fido's port over needs more time. Absolute bull####. She has data and and call out/text out but can't receive. That doesn't seem indicative of an issue porting over at all. Otherwise there should be completely nothing.

Checked all the settings, told her to go to a kiosk and see if a new SIM resolves the issue. Her husband's plan ported over without issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2023, 09:14 PM   #159
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Make sure you check if your employer is part of the EPP with Telus. Just got a 100gb Canada/us plan for $60.
There’s also a 60 GB for $50 Canada/US plan for EPP. In case, like me, you never come close to the 60 gigs.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 10:04 PM   #160
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
There’s also a 60 GB for $50 Canada/US plan for EPP. In case, like me, you never come close to the 60 gigs.
That option never showed up for me. Still happy with it though.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote