Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2014, 09:32 AM   #1181
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has Birchwood ever built anything that looks decent and doesn't follow the glass box philosophy? Their HQ on Crowchild is like a partitioned fish tank, and Ezra.... we can do better.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:35 AM   #1182
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
That's Minneapolis.
Thanks. Google image search failed me. The twin cities always mix me up.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:34 AM   #1183
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another one, Procura Grande on 11th Avenue and 4th Street SW:

I do believe the previous version of this proposal during the last boom was a ~40 storey building that had a oval shaped floor plan.

Last edited by Bigtime; 05-02-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:50 PM   #1184
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Even rental suites are Luxury now.

Luxury condos, Luxury town homes, Luxury starter homes, Luxury rental suites. We're awash with Luxury!!!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2014, 02:04 PM   #1185
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
Even rental suites are Luxury now.

Luxury condos, Luxury town homes, Luxury starter homes, Luxury rental suites. We're awash with Luxury!!!
Once market demand slows down, they'll be re-marketed to 'Affordable living space'; that's how this industry works!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:33 AM   #1186
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

What does this mean? DC to DC? Redevelopment going ahead for Eau Claire Market?

Old 05-07-2014, 11:40 AM   #1187
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd guess it is changing the 3 DC zones into one for the market redevelopment to proceed.
Old 05-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #1188
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cool look at how they're going to encapsulate the south leg of the LRT for the New Central Library:

Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #1189
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Once market demand slows down, they'll be re-marketed to 'Affordable living space'; that's how this industry works!
They do have all those annoying "afforluxury" radio spots that I hear a lot.

The word luxury in general has been overused and manipulated so much it really has lost all meaning.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2014, 11:50 AM   #1190
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ah man when I clicked on that link I was hoping for a glass floor that was worked into the architecture of the new library. (I've never looked at library renderings so I don't know what it looks like) It could have been cool to see the train pass under foot from inside the library.
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #1191
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Ah man when I clicked on that link I was hoping for a glass floor that was worked into the architecture of the new library. (I've never looked at library renderings so I don't know what it looks like) It could have been cool to see the train pass under foot from inside the library.
Yeah, same here. I was really hoping that it would be worked into the design of the building in some interesting way...and not just covered up and hidden.

Btw, the renderings haven't been released yet. I'm sure they will be solid regardless, but this feels like a missed design opportunity if they are indeed covering it up.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 11:59 AM   #1192
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think this is a temporary structure, to be honest. I can't verify that in any way other than a gut feeling.

As for the renderings, I'm sure they'll be really nice in the end. I do know, however, that the concept that was submitted to the CMLC and the City last September was horrendously over-budget, and that was knowing full well what the budget was. That's why that first concept was never released publicly - it's being value-engineered to an actual, plausible scheme. Great way to start the project, boys! Haha...

Old 05-07-2014, 12:00 PM   #1193
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big missed opportunity to not go with glass walls, I'm guessing cost was a factor.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:28 PM   #1194
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Big missed opportunity to not go with glass walls, I'm guessing cost was a factor.
There also has to be some security concerns as well. Although loading up a C-train with explosives would take out that pre-cast easily also.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #1195
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

The missed opportunity is not having the train STOP in the library itself with a new underground station integrated into the building.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #1196
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'd guess it is changing the 3 DC zones into one for the market redevelopment to proceed.
This was mailed to me. I requested more information but the @calgary.ca contact name on the letter is on vacation for the next two weeks. Pretty exciting development if it is the proposed one.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:47 PM   #1197
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
This was mailed to me. I requested more information but the @calgary.ca contact name on the letter is on vacation for the next two weeks. Pretty exciting development if it is the proposed one.

That is the official scheme, yes. I believe construction starts later this year, but I could be wrong on that. The developers decided to go with an international designer for this project, and as far as I know, no local firm has been officially selected to partner with yet.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 PM   #1198
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
That is the proposed scheme. I believe construction starts later this year, but I could be wrong on that.
Wow, that quickly? Last I heard was that a lot of existing tenants had renewed their leases for 1-2 years but I guess the property owner has the right to renege?

Time to start saving for a down-payment! I hope this thing is +15 connected. This would also be a great terminal for an underground North-Central LRT line.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:52 PM   #1199
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Wow, that quickly? Last I heard was that a lot of existing tenants had renewed their leases for 1-2 years but I guess the property owner has the right to renege?

Time to start saving for a down-payment! I hope this thing is +15 connected. This would also be a great terminal for an underground North-Central LRT line.
Like I said, I could be wrong on that, so don't go officially by what I say. It is very possible the existing leases have to run out first (Goodlife just purchased that place and invested in renovations, so that could be a sign they plan to stay for a little while). They could be doing surveying this year, and other civil work to prepare. That would also be included in my definition of 'construction'.

As for a terminal for the North-Central LRT line, you'd have to believe that's the plan. I couldn't see it being anything other than a pretty sexy underground subway station, either.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:53 PM   #1200
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Eau Claire redevelopment also takes out the existing parking lot on the south side, if I remember the open house they had months ago they were going to start with that area and then move onto the market building proper.