Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2021, 10:04 AM   #181
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's one helluva draft
5 picks in total
no 1st
no 3rd
No 4th

And you walk away with Andersson, Kylington and Mangiapane.

Eff me that's fantastic.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:11 AM   #182
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
The thing about Kylington is he has found his confidence. You can see it when he grabs the puck now. The deer in the headlights is gone. He wants the puck and then he makes the smart play. He also recognizes when to jump in the rush and make something happen. He's been a blast to watch and living up to the prediction a couple years ago that we had our Brodie replacement in the system already. Too bad it took this long to see him blossom.
Yup, it's all about confidence. He wants to jump into the rush now, whereas before, he was too hesitant. And when he does, he knows he can get back.

Completely different player, and it's awesome to watch.

He might become our best all around defenseman, before this year is out.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:24 AM   #183
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I stupid for trying to trade Chabot for Oliver in fantasy?

Sure feels like I'm not stupid, considering I'd be pleasantly surprised if the other GM accepted it...
Old 11-07-2021, 10:45 AM   #184
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Acquiring, maintaining and gaining confidence is a major challenge for all of us, as we wind our way through life.

Many younger NHL players, including Kylington, struggle to do things consistently right.

Often times, they are too focused on their bad decisions/ plays, instead of focusing and mentally preparing for their next shift. On the bench, between shifts, is a time to clear your head and burying your negative thoughts , then breathing properly, visualizing and “self talking” your mind with your good moments on the ice.

By eliminating the negative thoughts and living in the good moments/ actions you begin to build layers of confidence. The drop offs and mistakes are less dramatic/ frequent and your consistency of GOOD play(s) becomes the norm.

It’s a tough process for young players. Some move positively through it, lots do not.

Kylington appears to transitioning very well. Good for him. Good for the Flames.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 10:46 AM   #185
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post

Sure feels like I'm not stupid, considering I'd be pleasantly surprised if the other GM accepted it...
I just dropped Rasmus for Kylington in mine - feel quite strongly Oliver is going to seize that #1 PP slot by Christmas.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #186
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Acquiring, maintaining and gaining confidence is a major challenge for all of us, as we wind our way through life.

Many younger NHL players, including Kylington, struggle to do things consistently right.

Often times, they are too focused on their bad decisions/ plays, instead of focusing and mentally preparing for their next shift. On the bench, between shifts, is a time to clear your head and burying your negative thoughts , then breathing properly, visualizing and “self talking” your mind with your good moments on the ice.

By eliminating the negative thoughts and living in the good moments/ actions you begin to build layers of confidence. The drop offs and mistakes are less dramatic/ frequent and your consistency of GOOD play(s) becomes the norm.

It’s a tough process for young players. Some move positively through it, lots do not.

Kylington appears to transitioning very well. Good for him. Good for the Flames.

And honestly, is that not all that should matter to anyone thats a fan of this team?

Its great to see, though I was one who never was sure he had "it".

He does.

I was wrong and am i ever happy I was.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:52 AM   #187
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
That's one helluva draft
5 picks in total
no 1st
no 3rd
No 4th

Eff me that's fantastic.
plus the picks that turned into Dougie, who in turn helped us acquire two more cornerstone players in Hanifin and Lindholm. Meanwhile, Boston pretty much whiffed on those picks ... Senyshyn has played a total of 14 NHL games so far, Forsbacka-Karlsson has been playing in Sweden since 2019 after playing only 29 NHL games. Lauzon was a pretty decent pick, but they lost him for nothing to Seattle.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 10:54 AM   #188
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
plus the picks that turned into Dougie, who in turn helped us acquire two more cornerstone players in Hanifin and Lindholm. Meanwhile, Boston pretty much whiffed on those picks ... Senyshyn has played a total of 14 NHL games so far, Forsbacka-Karlsson has been playing in Sweden since 2019 after playing only 29 NHL games. Lauzon was a pretty decent pick, but they lost him for nothing to Seattle.
The Bruins could have taken Barzal, Chabot and Connor back to back to back.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:55 AM   #189
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post

Not stupid but I think you could get better value for Chabot.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 11:09 AM   #190
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are 30 defenseman with at least 7 points (including Kylington and Andersson).

Of those 30, Kylington has the least amount of ice-time.

He also has the third least amount of PP time.

In 5 on 5 points, he is T-4th (along with Fox), despite having significantly less ice-time than any of the others a the top.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:15 AM   #191
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
That's one helluva draft
5 picks in total
no 1st
no 3rd
No 4th

Eff me that's fantastic.
Just want to point out we also invited Philippe Myers to our development camp that year, and then to our rookie training camp. He came to our dev camp, picked up a lot of key pointers, but ended up going to Philly's training camp instead of ours, where he signed with them.

If Button had another 7th rounder that year I bet he takes Myers.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:32 AM   #192
Dude Where's Makar?
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hope we can get a sneaky longer term deal with Kylington. I fully expect him to get bridged, but it would be nice if we could pull off a 4-5 year deal with a low caphit (2.5-3.5)
Dude Where's Makar? is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dude Where's Makar? For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:53 AM   #193
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Where's Makar? View Post
Hope we can get a sneaky longer term deal with Kylington. I fully expect him to get bridged, but it would be nice if we could pull off a 4-5 year deal with a low caphit (2.5-3.5)
If he keeps putting up the point totals he is, that seems unlikely. The day of young players undervaluing themselves over term seems to be over.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:56 AM   #194
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Treliving is going to have a tough off season at the rate this team is going. Some important pieces that need to be tied up long term.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 12:04 PM   #195
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
If he keeps putting up the point totals he is, that seems unlikely. The day of young players undervaluing themselves over term seems to be over.
I'd rather pay guys for their prime years (22 - 32) than pay guys for their post-apex years.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #196
Ring of Fire
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Interesting breakdown on Kylington’s skating and where he may need some improvements. https://mobile.twitter.com/JhanHky/s...83958387630085
Ring of Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #197
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude Where's Makar? View Post

Obviously depends on how the rest of his season goes, but even if he gets 40-50 points he only has the one good season as a bargaining chip.

Kylington will want to bet on himself and sign a short deal. 3ish would make sense over 2 years, but he’ll be gunning for a lot more than that in the longer term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 03:32 PM   #198
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ring of Fire View Post
Interesting breakdown on Kylington’s skating and where he may need some improvements. https://mobile.twitter.com/JhanHky/s...83958387630085
Yeah would love to see this random jack han skate. Don't think anyone should be giving Kylington skating lessons. He's the best skater on the team.
Old 11-07-2021, 03:35 PM   #199
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Yeah would love to see this random jack han skate. Don't think anyone should be giving Kylington skating lessons. He's the best skater on the team.
Jack Han isn't a random... he's got more credentials than just about everyone on this forum.

Old 11-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #200
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Jack Han isn't a random... he's got more credentials than just about everyone on this forum.
Does he have more credentials than an NHL player? Was he in the NHL? I think his analysis on that play is garbage.

If the rounded glass wasn't there and it was in another part of the ice there wouldn't have been that collision.

He was trying to turn it into a 2 on 1 by taking the hit. Any random fan could see that.