Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2020, 04:39 PM   #2821
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I thought I pre-installed Flight Simulator but I'm waiting for it to download over 90GB before I can play. I know it's going to be worth the wait but it's still annoying.
Having the downloader/installer be in game is annoying as all hell too. I thought that was the whole point of these annoying launcher programs?

And it doesn't save progress either. If you exit, you have to start over
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 05:58 PM   #2822
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I'm not sure buying and playing Fall Guys would bring me $20 worth more enjoyment than watching someone play Fall Guys on YouTube.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #2823
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fall Guys does look fun, but I'm also questioning its replayability.

Maybe they'll add more stages over time. But then maybe the price will go up.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 06:10 PM   #2824
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Having the downloader/installer be in game is annoying as all hell too. I thought that was the whole point of these annoying launcher programs?

And it doesn't save progress either. If you exit, you have to start over
Wait, so if you want to try a long-haul flight you have to do it all in one sitting? That sucks.

It does look as beautiful as promised. I have everything on Ultra and I'm getting about 30fps which is playable for a flight sim. I will be upgrading this fall to get that higher though.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 06:53 PM   #2825
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wait, so if you want to try a long-haul flight you have to do it all in one sitting? That sucks.

It does look as beautiful as promised. I have everything on Ultra and I'm getting about 30fps which is playable for a flight sim. I will be upgrading this fall to get that higher though.
No sorry I meant download progress
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2020, 10:33 PM   #2826
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Is there a marketplace for mods yet? I thought I'd read that that was going to be a thing but I don't know if it's available yet. Or if an SDK is available yet.

EDIT: Oh man even the deluxe and premium deluxe bundles are aircraft and airports, they're probably going to try and make huge $$ on new aircraft. $160 for the premium deluxe?!?!?

And of course the game pass version is the standard version.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:00 PM   #2827
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Is there a marketplace for mods yet? I thought I'd read that that was going to be a thing but I don't know if it's available yet. Or if an SDK is available yet.

EDIT: Oh man even the deluxe and premium deluxe bundles are aircraft and airports, they're probably going to try and make huge $$ on new aircraft. $160 for the premium deluxe?!?!?

And of course the game pass version is the standard version.
Mods are possible although it doesn’t seem like the SDK is finished.

https://www.pcgamer.com/hopefully-no...tter-airports/

There will be a mod shop, which kinda sucks but I can see creators wanting to get paid for their work, but I’m sure we’ll get plenty of free stuff. I’d like to see Calgary assets get improved. I flew over McMahon stadium and it looked even worse than it does in real life!
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 11:09 PM   #2828
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

The mod shop is already live and accessible from within the sim. As of this writing, there's one new aircraft (Cessna 182), a scenery pack for London, and a few new hand-crafted airports.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #2829
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I thought I pre-installed Flight Simulator but I'm waiting for it to download over 90GB before I can play. I know it's going to be worth the wait but it's still annoying.
It's a lot more 'beta' than I thought it would be. Oh well, it's a pretty big endeavor and am sure it will be changing / improving.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #2830
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone playing Microsoft Flight Simulator, here are all the cities that have 3D geometric data in Bing Maps and thus will have the most accurate scenery in the sim. Looks like there's nothing outside of North America, Europe, and Australia.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/vi...7656342003&z=3
Old 08-19-2020, 09:30 AM   #2831
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I have emerged from my Witcher 3 cave into the sunlight, I am un sure what day, time, year, century it is... but I am sure of one thing, that game is beyond epic. Like just wow, some of those story line quests, especially The One (you know what im talking about) were very, very fun and among the best singe player experiences I've ever had.

Tough act to follow, but next up I've got the new Avengers game pre ordered, there was an open beta this past weekend but I missed it. Looking forward to trying it during the open beta. Anyone else tried this game or going to try it out?

I figure it will keep me busy until Squadrons comes out and consumes my life.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:38 AM   #2832
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I have emerged from my Witcher 3 cave into the sunlight, I am un sure what day, time, year, century it is... but I am sure of one thing, that game is beyond epic. Like just wow, some of those story line quests, especially The One (you know what im talking about) were very, very fun and among the best singe player experiences I've ever had.

Tough act to follow, but next up I've got the new Avengers game pre ordered, there was an open beta this past weekend but I missed it. Looking forward to trying it during the open beta. Anyone else tried this game or going to try it out?

I tried out the Avengers beta and found it extremely mediocre. It was fun playing as Thor and Cap but I thought the game felt sort of off. Hulk felt really floaty to play and I thought Iron Man should be more agile in the air. Never got a chance to try out multiplayer. I am still pretty sour about the whole Spider-Man thing too.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:48 AM   #2833
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I LOVED The Witcher 3 and have found that Ghost of Tsushima kinda scratches that same itch. It's a more simplistic game, but I find them similar in some regards. I just got into Act 2 in the game and am enjoying the ride.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2020, 12:06 PM   #2834
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I tried out the Avengers beta and found it extremely mediocre. It was fun playing as Thor and Cap but I thought the game felt sort of off. Hulk felt really floaty to play and I thought Iron Man should be more agile in the air. Never got a chance to try out multiplayer. I am still pretty sour about the whole Spider-Man thing too.
Hmm interesting. One thing I've read is that the single player is short, like 15-20 hours short if you want to stretch it even, similar to Fallen Order, which is good. Because even a mediocre game can feel great if the mediocoreness is limited

Given how avid of a comic book fan I am, I'm excited to play it, looks like I'll be able to burn through it quick and if its good, play some multiplayer.
Old 08-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #2835
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Baldur's gate 3 will be my next plunge. Sept 30th!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 12:29 AM   #2836
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

The greatest of all Calgary landmarks (or at least its shadow) is visible in Microsoft Flight Simulator:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 08:07 AM   #2837
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Baldur's gate 3 will be my next plunge. Sept 30th!
Hrmm so it seems like the edition coming out on Sept 30th is limited, with limited races/classes/story etc.. available.

But then they say that the limited edition could last up to a year? How did this work with Divinity 2?
Old 08-20-2020, 08:43 AM   #2838
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hrmm so it seems like the edition coming out on Sept 30th is limited, with limited races/classes/story etc.. available.

But then they say that the limited edition could last up to a year? How did this work with Divinity 2?
The Early Access D2 was the same, only a few races/classes and a stunted story. Additionally it did not have the VO for dialogue.

It was better to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #2839
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
The greatest of all Calgary landmarks (or at least its shadow) is visible in Microsoft Flight Simulator
[snip]
I kept critically damaging the ICON with my reckless flight maneuvers, so I've switched to the Diamond.

Unrelated, they have the Extra 330L that I flew in Vegas in the game, which is kick ass. You can fly like a lunatic in that thing.

For anyone wanting to play FS2020, you're gonna want to run through a guide like this, the game has basically been designed for hardware that doesn't exist yet. It is a beast on CPU (all the livestreaming of world data, flight data, etc.) and GPU (it's a gorgeous game).

I have a mix of high and medium settings, and I'm still getting in the mid-40 FPS range @ 1440p. I might try scaling to 1080p and see if it makes that big of a difference, but I think having a VRR display is really making the game quite playable even at low FPS.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:17 AM   #2840
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya I am planning to wait on BG3 and I am sure it's going to be amazing when it's out of early access. Plus, I still have to run through Pillars of Eternity 2 and Disco Elysium. Working my way through Horizon Zero Dawn right now on PC. It's a shame the port was so poorly handled because the game has been a lot of fun. Haven't had too many issues myself and I am sure they'll iron out the problems. Going forward, I hope Sony puts a little more effort into this if they plan to port over more games.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote