Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default September 17, 2015

Flames goalie Joni Ortio likely to stay around when club resolves crowded crease issue
http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/16...d-crease-issue

Quote:
As a child in Turku, Finland, Joni Ortio grew up watching hometown hero Miikka Kiprusoff live out a dream that took him from TPS to the Calgary Flames.
Now, Ortio has a chance to do exactly the same thing.
And the reality is he is the early favourite to finish the season just as ol’ Kipper did for so many years — as the Flames No. 1 goalie.
“That’s exactly what I’ve been working toward ever since I got drafted,” said the well-spoken 24-year-old who was selected in the sixth round of the 2009 NHL Draft.
“Back then it was more of a dream than a goal and now it’s vice versa. It’s definitely a goal for this year to get that spot. It’s kind of ironic to be drafted by the same team Kipper played for and then getting to know him, skating with him in the summer and a couple training camps with him. It’s funny how it turned out.”
Quote:
This embarrassment of riches is certainly a feather in Treliving’s cap as the competition this three-goalie race creates should spur each on to be at his best — something head coach Bob Hartley got the most out of last year.
“Obviously, it was surprising to see (Ramo) get re-signed — a situation like this doesn’t happen very much,” said Ortio, who missed a large chunk of the second half due to a high ankle sprain of which he insists he feels no effects.
“But still it doesn’t change anything — every one of us wants to be the best goalie in camp. There’s so much that can happen, but to be honest, I haven’t really sacrificed many thoughts on that. When you start going through all the different scenarios, your focus isn’t where it’s supposed to be. Doing well in camp is the only thing that matters now. I don’t see any reason why I can’t pick up were I left off last year.”
Ryan Wilson in Calgary Flames camp with professional tryout

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/17...ssional-tryout

Quote:
Ryan Wilson is job-hunting, not head-hunting.
You get the feeling, though, that the hard-hitting defenceman — invited to Calgary Flames’ training camp on a tryout basis — can hardly wait until the exhibition season to lay a lick on an opponent.
“You control your own fate, and you just have to go out there and play your own game and do what made you successful in the past,” Wilson said. “I play with a lot of confidence and I do some things that you have to be pretty confident to do. I just have to work hard and show them that I’m completely healthy and ready to go.”
Quote:
Wilson was originally signed by the Flames as an undrafted free agent in 2008 and is now aiming to earn another contract offer from the Saddledome brass.
“I’m glad that they’re giving me the opportunity to come here and show ‘em what I got,” Wilson said.
Flames forward Josh Jooris enters work-out world of captain Mark Giordano

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/17...-mark-giordano

Quote:
Josh Jooris has typically trained on his own, and since it seemed to be working, that was the plan again this summer.
That is, until his cousin spotted Calgary Flames captain and fitness buff Mark Giordano pushing weights at another gym not far from Jooris’ off-season home-base in Burlington, Ont.
“I just texted Mark and said, ‘Hey, my cousin saw you today. Do you mind if I join you? I’m looking for a training partner,’ ” Jooris said.
“I thought if Mark was only 20 minutes down the road, why not? Obviously, that’d be a good guy to train with.
“I think it was good for both of us. We both pushed each other hard, and hopefully it pays off.”
Quote:
"He’s known around the league for his physique and his fitness and for being in good shape,” Jooris said of the 31-year-old Giordano.
“There were a couple of days when I was kind of behind the eight-ball, but I tried keeping up with him for the whole summer. I think I did a good job of it.
“You can see why he just signed his big contract and why he’s played so long in this league and done so well, because his off
season training is intense. He’s still going hard, and it’s fun to watch.”
Quote:
“It’s nice coming back in familiar territory and knowing all of the guys and not kind of being wide-eyed to the NHL players, which I was the past couple of years,” Jooris said.
“In the past, I was coming in here trying to prove myself and trying basically to put myself on the map. I was unknown. Nobody really knew who I was. Now, with the fact that I’ve played here, the mentality can’t really change.
“Obviously, we have a great team here, great talent, and nothing is set in stone. You need to kind of keep the same mentality you have — try to prove yourself and get myself here.”
Is Jonas Hiller the odd man out in the Calgary Flames goaltender situation?

http://www.calgarysun.com/2015/09/16...nder-situation

Quote:
For Calgary Flames netminder Jonas Hiller, one of the highlights of summer was reuniting his daughter with relatives back in Switzerland.
Noelia was just weeks old when the Hillers — Jonas, Karolina and their baby bundle of joy — headed to Calgary last fall.
And kids grow up fast.
“They hadn’t seen her for, like, nine months,” Hiller said. “When we got back, she was almost walking and everything, so it was quite an adventure.
“They didn’t want to see us anymore, just our daughter. But I guess that’s part of it.”
Quote:
It’s worth noting this isn’t uncharted territory for Hiller, one of three masked men on the Anaheim Ducks’ roster late in the 2013-14 campaign.
“I’ve stopped worrying about it a long time ago because at the end, all I can do is just come in and play as well as I can,” Hiller said of the Flames’ puck-stopping pileup. “That’s what I did in the summer — prepare myself that I’ll be able to play at the same level as last year or even better. There is always competition, and having three guys on one-ways is certainly not an easy thing. You have to probably work even harder, but I’m not worried. I know what I’m capable of and I just have to be able to show it.
“You have always somebody wanting your job — that’s part of playing in the best league in the world.”
Quote:
However, Hiller couldn’t write a fairytale ending against his old team — he was yanked in Game 1 of a second-round series against the Ducks and relegated to backup duties as Ramo started the rest of the way.
“It was a little frustrating at the end, how it ended,” Hiller said. “But at the same time, looking back, I thought I had a great year and we had a great year as a team, and I think that was something to build on and see the positive out of it.
“If somebody would have told us from the beginning that we would go all way to the second round in playoffs, I would say, ‘I’ll take it’ anytime, no matter if I’m first guy, second guy or not even playing. It was great to be a part of that.
“Now, definitely, the expectations this season are a little higher.”

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

The three goalie situation obviously can't last. I would hate to see HIller go, but I'd hate more to see Ortio go.

My gut tells me Hiller is the odd man out. You never know with BT tthough.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:53 AM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Hiller is the only one that doesn't have any surprises left, you know exactly what you're going to get with him. Ramo has improved every year and if that continues he could be a legitimate #1 this season, and Ortio has all sorts of potential. Hopefully Treliving can find someone to take Hiller, otherwise I could see him ending up on waivers
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

also somewhat muddied by the Flames speed of rebuild. if they are 27th last year there wouldn't be a second thought about retaining the young guy and moving the vet. Now though, can you move your best goaltender when you have the pieces to be a contender in the west (playoff contender, not cup)?

I hope so.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think all goaltenders are equal coming into camp, and I would suspect that management would prefer that Ortio takes one of the spots so they can move one of the more expensive guys. I don't think you'll have a problem moving a not-to-expensive 1 year contract on a proven goaltender, which I believe both Hiller and Ramo are (Hiller more so). I think it'll be Hiller because he's more well recognized as having starter ability.
Old 09-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #6
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Have to think Pittsburgh is an option if you eat half of Hiller's contract
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 11:35 AM   #7
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary Flames@NHLFlames3m3 minutes ago

"In the last few weeks, I feel like I really turned a corner." - Colborne on his wrist surgery & the recovery period.

Calgary Flames@NHLFlames14s14 seconds ago

"It is going to continue to approve." - Colborne on his wrist, noting that he is ready to go into camp.

Calgary Flames@NHLFlames2m2 minutes ago

"He's only been here for a week and he's already fitting in with the guys," - Colborne on Dougie Hamilton.

Last edited by MissTeeks; 09-17-2015 at 11:39 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news that Colborne's wrist is approving.

What is the wrist approving though?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
FBI
Old 09-17-2015, 11:46 AM   #9
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Derek Wills@Fan960Wills2m2 minutes ago

#Flames Joe Colborne weighs in at 224, up from 211 at end of last season. Feels stronger, especially in his legs, than he's ever been.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:48 AM   #10
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post

#Flames Joe Colborne weighs in at 224, up from 211 at end of last season. Feels stronger, especially in his legs, than he's ever been.
Now use the size Joe!
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 12:55 PM   #11
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I, too, continue to approve Colborne's wrist getting healthier.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTeeks View Post

Wow that's huge. If he hasn't slowed down because of the weight, he could be in for a big season.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:55 PM   #13
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Joe started using that size last year towards the end of the season. Took a few penalties but that is bound to happen. This could be a massive year for him
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I recall it being mentioned (by him?) last year that last summer was the first time he was able to put on weight and keep it on, which is often the case for body types like his. I was hoping for more of the same this summer but was concerned how the wrist injury would affect his training. Sounds like my worries were unwarranted.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #15
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Joe started using that size last year towards the end of the season. Took a few penalties but that is bound to happen. This could be a massive year for him
Agreed, he definitely started to effortlessly rub people off the puck along the boards near the end of the season. It was very effective and I hope to see more of it!
Bandwagon In Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #16
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Aaron Vickers @AAVickers
Gaudreau said he's added five pounds of 'good' weight this summer. #Flames
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #17
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 04:04 PM   #18
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Have to think Pittsburgh is an option if you eat half of Hiller's contract
Tampa might be as well with Vasilevski being out for 3-4 months. They don't really have a backup. They'd probably be more interested in Ramo though.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:06 PM   #19
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Tampa might be as well with Vasilevski being out for 3-4 months. They don't really have a backup. They'd probably be more interested in Ramo though.
They have Emery in camp and Gudlevskis. Although Gudlevskis is hurt now too. But should be back around the middle of camp.

TB I think rolls with Emery on a cheap deal because of a lack of cap flexibility if Gudlevskis isn't up to the job of warming the bench.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 05:25 PM   #20
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When you're adding pure muscle all while training primarily type 2 muscle fibers which NHL athletes do, you're not going to slow down. It's not fat, it's functional weight, not passenger weight. You're going to be faster and more explosive, never the opposite. You will always hit a certain size threshold in this type of training unless you're on PED's. That threshold in almost all cases will be hit before you see any negative effects on speed or acceleration. You can always get faster or more explosive but you won't always get bigger.

If I had to bet, I'd go with Colborne to have a breakout season if his wrist is 100%. He's got all the tools to do it and I think he seen what a force he can be if he plays physically even with a injury.

Last edited by FiveSeven; 09-17-2015 at 05:29 PM.
FiveSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveSeven For This Useful Post: