Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #41
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I think the Wings and that Green deal could be the worst free agent signing of the summer personally. That's a lot to pay for a one dimensional defenseman that tends to be a fire drill in his own zone.

Having said that the Wideman deal in Calgary was similar and that worked out pretty good for the Flames.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #42
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komskies View Post
Not a stats guy, but he clearly knows hockey pretty well, and once you cut through all of the jokes he actually has well-informed hockey analysis.
I agree with this. I was just a bit surprised to see him on a panel of stats guys. And a bit sad to find that I only recognized four names, and one of them for reasons that had nothing to do with his statistical analysis.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:34 PM   #43
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey17 View Post
FYI -contributors to the panel were Clare Austin, Steve Burtch, Matt Cane, Scott Cullen, John Fischer, Iain Fyffe, Domenic Galamini, Garik16, David Johnson, Cam Lawrence, Dom Luszczyszyn, Jen Lute Costella, Alexandra Mandrycky, Micah Blake McCurdy, Sean McIndoe, Nick Mercadante, Allan "Lowetide" Mitchell, Phil Myrland, Arik Parnass, Christophe Perreault, Megan Richardson, Alan Ryder, Michael Schuckers, Timo Seppa, Greg Sinclair, Dawson Sprigings, Ryan Stimson, Craig Tabita, Andrew Thomas, Robb Tufts, Josh Weissbock, Carolyn Wilke, Kent Wilson.
That list is a real Who's Who. As I read it, I just kept repeating "Who?"

Old 09-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #44
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Garik16, sounds like something out of Seinfeld?

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:36 PM   #45
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm pretty sure Vollman is the analytics guy that Kerr had on last year who kept pronouncing Matt Carle's name as 'Matt CARLY'. The guy obviously only looks at spreadsheets if he doesn't even know how a 10 year NHL vet pronounces his name. There was no way I could take anything he had to say seriously after that.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #46
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Yeah, but I see the point... spending 3.8M on your second goalie isn't very efficient spending. So taken in a vacumn it makes perfect sense...
I would say that this way of thinking also does not factor into the equation how the Flames are built. The thing is that Ramo is not a backup goaltender—he and Hiller are pretty much a tandem. In this sort of a structure in which the goalies are on a truly balanced rotation, both are likely going to make ALOT more than a second goalie from a team that also has a clear starter.

This is dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #47
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most of the time, the only reason a 1 year deal is bad for the team is when they should have locked him in for longer term.

Ramo's deal does not hurt the Flames at all.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 07:08 AM   #48
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The best coaches and GM's in history can't figure out goalies yet this analytics guy think he can use a spreadsheet to come to a conclusion.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:21 AM   #49
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on this, he didn't even use a spreadsheet - he looked at one single number. Save Percentage. That's it. Not games played, not wins, not GAA. Just save percentage. Based on that, and only that, he determined Ramo's deal is bad because there are other goalies, who played and won less than Ramo, who make less.

Vollman is a tool. I too either laugh, or change the channel when he comes on the Fan.

With respect to Bouma - is there anyone who thinks that if the Flames put Bouma on waivers that he would clear? He would be snapped up, even with his "bad contract" in a New York Minute by every single team that had enough cap space to do so. Because NHL GMs use more than a spreadsheet or, in the case of Vollman's goalie analysis, a BBQ sauce stained napkin from Burger King.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:18 PM   #50
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

any UFA, just by being a UFA signed the first day gets overpaid. Very few work out.

Frolik is getting paid top-6 money for a long time where he hasn't been a solid top-6 guy for the last 4 years. Money and term for potential, when the risk was not required.

Frolik signing puts the Flames in a bind to sign Hudler.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #51
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
any UFA, just by being a UFA signed the first day gets overpaid. Very few work out.

Frolik is getting paid top-6 money for a long time where he hasn't been a solid top-6 guy for the last 4 years. Money and term for potential, when the risk was not required.

Frolik signing puts the Flames in a bind to sign Hudler.
What did you say when Hudler was signed?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

His points, 113th among forwards, would argue your point
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote