Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #41
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Two cars both fairly recent, only one car payment which is about 350 a month. Its zero interest so not in a rush paying it down.

The housing costs are mostly the deck, painted a few rooms during covid, needed a door fixed and then some random garden and diy projects.

Obviously it is the food budget we need to look at. Restaurants is nothing fancy, it would be like earls. But basically are house is pretty much no red meat besides the odd steak i get myself. Many chicken and salmon, it doesnt seem like we buy expensive stuff trying to get a lot of bulk-ish superstore stuff. One thing we noticed that we are working on is buying too much produce at one time and having waste.
This one I have a tip for that works in my house. We cut up all of our vegetables when we get home from the store and put them in Tupperware in the fridge. It's so much more convenient to eat vegetables once they're already in snack form. Because of this, we go through them faster and never have waste. If say the cauliflower is on its last legs, just dump it into the pot to steam it for a side with supper. If it was still in the head you may not bother, but as it's already prepped it's so easy.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 07:32 AM   #42
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A simple trick not mentioned: make mortgage Payment Weekly or at least bi-weekly rather than monthly. It makes a big difference in the amount of interest paid.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geraldsh For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #43
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last edited by GordonBlue; 09-30-2020 at 07:13 AM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:41 AM   #44
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

House 16.5 seems high. That doesn't include mortgage or utilities, so is that all renos and furniture?

Travel 4.25 seems high as well. If you're looking to reduce costs, cutting airplane vacations is low hanging fruit.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:37 AM   #45
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
House 16.5 seems high. That doesn't include mortgage or utilities, so is that all renos and furniture?

Travel 4.25 seems high as well. If you're looking to reduce costs, cutting airplane vacations is low hanging fruit.
Once Tiger said the "house" included things like a new deck and since other household costs are accounted for elsewhere, I read that it was so high due to large one-time expenditures and could be trimmed to near zero if needed...

If you're looking to save, I'd defer anything that isn't a definite "need" (sounds like the new deck was more of a want).
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #46
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
don't forget to add your cable bill and phone plan costs in there, unless that's under entertainment.

Cables is in there, phones luckily are paid by work.

Just some background never been too concerned about money hence why it is likely high spending. But with all going on just wanted to do a deep dive. I am really in a position of being fortunate with having a good paying job, but currently hate it and am willing to take a job I like for less but would need to cut costs if I take in less, on top of the cuts to salary now.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:55 AM   #47
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you say this is just a break down of 100% of your costs... What % of income are you saving already? Or is it none?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:15 AM   #48
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So you say this is just a break down of 100% of your costs... What % of income are you saving already? Or is it none?
Currently about the size of the mortgage or grocery pie per month
Old 09-29-2020, 09:16 AM   #49
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Currently about the size of the mortgage or grocery pie per month
So then none of these numbers really make any sense. You should be including savings and your %'s should be based on income.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:25 AM   #50
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
So then none of these numbers really make any sense. You should be including savings and your %'s should be based on income.
It is just expenses I am looking at
Old 09-29-2020, 09:30 AM   #51
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Cables is in there, phones luckily are paid by work.

Just some background never been too concerned about money hence why it is likely high spending. But with all going on just wanted to do a deep dive. I am really in a position of being fortunate with having a good paying job, but currently hate it and am willing to take a job I like for less but would need to cut costs if I take in less, on top of the cuts to salary now.
Not the advice you're asking for, but with how things are right now, I would buckle down and wring out everything I could from a higher paying job while I could... Make hay and all that... It might be a good opportunity to budget for lower income and you could try to live off that lower amount, while saving the balance for investments, rainy day fund, etc.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:58 AM   #52
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Not the advice you're asking for, but with how things are right now, I would buckle down and wring out everything I could from a higher paying job while I could... Make hay and all that... It might be a good opportunity to budget for lower income and you could try to live off that lower amount, while saving the balance for investments, rainy day fund, etc.
That advice is well worth repeating- a quick trip to retirement.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #53
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Easy areas to cut costs this week that pay forward:
- home internet / phone / cable. Many options to reduce this. Highly negotiable.

- Cell bills... don't go with a primary provider, go with a secondary, and take advantage of promotions and such. No reason to always have latest phone, nor mega gig plans
- insurance... re-examine what you actually need for home, vehicle (driving much since Covid), personal, health, etc...

- Consumables... (excluding food stuffs). Can do well watching for sales and appropriate stocking up
- Clothing... don't need latest/greatest, nor trendy. plus majority of clothing lasts a long time. Kids go through stuff so fast no point buying lots of good stuff, just buy 2-3 favorites. Oddly enough Value Village and Goodwill often have brand new clothing/never worn for fraction of new costs. My kids like nothing more than to be given a $20 and told to go buy what they want there... plus it's entertaining as heck.
- Prioritize savings / investments. Don't invest in stupid stuff, high MER, or GIC's.

- Vacations... don't need to always have deluxe ones, often a fun domestic road trip can be 1/5 of that trip to Hawaii or even Mexico. Or camping.

- Use coupons, groupon, and deals whenever/wherever possible.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #54
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Semi-related question: how has the pandemic impacted your spending? Working from home means a lot less money spent on lunches, no eating out, and we generally haven't ordered takeout as much either. Also haven't taken a trip since this all started, which means our travel expenses have basically been zero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geraldsh View Post
A simple trick not mentioned: make mortgage Payment Weekly or at least bi-weekly rather than monthly. It makes a big difference in the amount of interest paid.
Not a bad tip, but if the OP is concerned with where his money is going, this doesn't help in terms of monthly cashflow. Agreed it will cut down on total interest paid though.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:49 AM   #55
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Cut out coffee and alcohol.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 11:50 AM   #56
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Cut out coffee and alcohol.
I know that's tried and true, but in the case of the OP, did you even look at the numbers? Alcohol is his smallest expense - he barely drinks?
Old 09-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:19 PM   #58
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Semi-related question: how has the pandemic impacted your spending? Working from home means a lot less money spent on lunches, no eating out, and we generally haven't ordered takeout as much either. Also haven't taken a trip since this all started, which means our travel expenses have basically been zero.

Not a bad tip, but if the OP is concerned with where his money is going, this doesn't help in terms of monthly cashflow. Agreed it will cut down on total interest paid though.
For the Pandemic, it has definitely affected certain areas

Groceries: home more and trying new recipes and likely leading to increases
Fast food: probably a little more just to get out.
Resturants: Felt like there was a duty to order in from restaurants more because we were more fortunate
Gas/Car payments: Did have a vehicle allowance and gas allowance... now I don't
Online shopping: definitely up with all this, hand sanitizers and masks way up year over year
Books: way up because of libraries being closed
Jogging pants: slightly up
Travel: is way down, plus some of that budget is prepaying a hotel for an upincoming trip (that is fully cancellable)

The data is definitely changed because of 2020, it would be interesting to look at 2019 and see how it changed but that would be a lot of work.

As for the mortgage already accelerated biweekly, but unfortunately recently renewed last summer for 5 years which is too bad... should have stayed open

Last edited by Tiger; 09-29-2020 at 12:22 PM.
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #59
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
I know that's tried and true, but in the case of the OP, did you even look at the numbers? Alcohol is his smallest expense - he barely drinks?
barely drinks and it is tea instead of coffee that is killing that budget!
Old 09-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #60
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post

- Use coupons, groupon, and deals whenever/wherever possible.
does anyone here use coupons?