Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-14-2019, 01:33 AM   #1
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Amazon Prime The Boys

Unless i mised it, I'm quite surprised there isn't already a thread promoting this show. The Boys completely transcends the superhero genre, it's dark, gritty while also being hilariously side splitting. The genius minds of producers Seth Rogan & Evan Goldberg have adapted the show from a graphic novel of the same name by Garth Ennis and Darick Robertson. The show has amazing writing, dialogue and acting, stars Karl Urban & Elisabeth Shue are absolutely brilliant. The less you know the better but whether you've tired of all the comic book movies or are craving more hero's this series has enough to fill both needs while being ultraviolent & super entertaining. I've personally watched the series twice now and found it even more enjoyable the second viewing, I highly recommend it.

Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was a lot of talk in the Prime thread.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I just started episode 1 earlier this morning based largely on the positive reviews here at CP. Did not disappoint!
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #4
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I loved it. It was way better than I'd thought it would be. The humor was great, the violence was shocking, and the characters are interesting.

I'm glad I didn't watch any trailers though; they give away some pretty intense parts, namely the catalyst for the series, which takes place ~10 minutes into the first episode.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:11 PM   #5
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I loved it. It was way better than I'd thought it would be. The humor was great, the violence was shocking, and the characters are interesting.

I'm glad I didn't watch any trailers though; they give away some pretty intense parts, namely the catalyst for the series, which takes place ~10 minutes into the first episode.
Right, lol. When *that* happened I was like "oh ok, it's that kind of show" lol. The humour is so subversive and is really the strength of the show plus the way they wrote the dialogue was so true. There was nothing cliche or forced which kept me completely immersed in the world they built. One of my favorite scenes was between Annie and her mother after she finds stuff out, the acting & writing was pure genius, true raw emotion and so very entertaining.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 11:27 PM   #6
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There is more depth to it than I'd anticipated. When I first saw Frenchie, I thought he was going to be a completely predictable, boring character. His encounters with Hughie, and especially Kimiko, proved me wrong.

A big shout out to the music, too. The Iggy Pop song at the end of episode one really made the scene more chilling as one of the "holy crap" moments that I feel happened at least once per episode.

I'm considering reading the comics but I don't know if that will ruin the show or enhance it for me.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 08:43 AM   #7
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does the comedy aspect pick up? I'm only 2 episodes in but I wouldn't say its been very funny.

However, its been really good so far and I like the way the story is going. I also love hour long episodes. It seems like the perfect amount of time.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:32 AM   #8
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The praise for this show is over the top, yes it's very good but not the brilliant bit of TV some are saying it is. Around about episode 5 things start to drag and get muddy. Also almost every character is a terrible person that works for awhile but at some point you want to like the characters and very few are likable.

I still recommend it though, there is not much humour per say but I still laughed a lot so maybe you have to have a perverse sense of humour.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Does the comedy aspect pick up? I'm only 2 episodes in but I wouldn't say its been very funny.
If you didn’t find any humour in the first 2, you likely won’t in the rest
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
The praise for this show is over the top, yes it's very good but not the brilliant bit of TV some are saying it is. Around about episode 5 things start to drag and get muddy. Also almost every character is a terrible person that works for awhile but at some point you want to like the characters and very few are likable.

I still recommend it though, there is not much humour per say but I still laughed a lot so maybe you have to have a perverse sense of humour.
Philistine! Get him!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2019, 11:40 PM   #11
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

Disagree,

I think word of mouth will turn this into the hit Prime needed to be recognized as a real competitor of Netflix. This was a rare show that had something new and different to contribute, and every single character had so much depth. Almost everyone of them was a pitiable, motivated and terrible at the same time. The only well intentioned character in the whole show was starlight, and I think the story reviled she had to become more morally ambiguous to become an effective participant in this world, everyone else had good reasons to absolute scum.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Disagree,

I think word of mouth will turn this into the hit Prime needed to be recognized as a real competitor of Netflix.
What a strange thing to open with, I said nothing about this or even hinted at it. I'm sure it will be a big hit and deserves to be especially seeing how almost every show with superpower characters is exactly the same and BORING. But why did you feel the need to make this pitch? Odd.
Quote:
This was a rare show that had something new and different to contribute, and every single character had so much depth. Almost everyone of them was a pitiable, motivated and terrible at the same time. The only well intentioned character in the whole show was starlight, and I think the story reviled she had to become more morally ambiguous to become an effective participant in this world, everyone else had good reasons to absolute scum.
Disagree, it starts out making you think that but by the end, not so much.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #13
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
I'm considering reading the comics but I don't know if that will ruin the show or enhance it for me.
I picked up the first dozen issues when the comic was released. It's about 3x more ridiculous and over-the-top with the violence than the show is. It's too much for me and seemed to be done for shock value instead of satire.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've read the full series, and have watched the TV show.

The two are very different from each other in plot and direction. They share character names and the general concept (superheros are bad and must be monitored), and that's about it. The tv show takes a pretty quick left turn from the comics, and keeps on going. Reading one is not LIKELY to spoil the other, given the very different changes in overall direction
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

How does this show compared to "Preacher", which is also a Rogan/Goldberg comic adaptation.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #16
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I much prefer this to preacher. I like Preacher but it has struggled to live up to the comics for me.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 03:28 PM   #17
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

If you don't laugh (while cringing) at the dolphin scene, you are simultaneously a better person than me, and not someone I want to know.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #18
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
If you don't laugh (while cringing) at the dolphin scene, you are simultaneously a better person than me, and not someone I want to know.
That was one of the funniest scenes I've seen on TV in a longtime.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 04:11 PM   #19
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Watched it, thought it was great. didn't read the comics and don't plan to.

I felt like the woman playing Madlyn Stillwell looked familiar the whole season, finally I decided to check IMDB and my mind was blown..

She is none other than..

Spoiler!
Old 09-17-2019, 07:51 PM   #20
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
How does this show compared to "Preacher", which is also a Rogan/Goldberg comic adaptation.
The style of over the top violence and humour is similar but The Boys is superior.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote