Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-04-2016, 10:36 AM   #41
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by temple5 View Post
Alot of good notes in this thread.

If you want your item sold the number one thing to do is price it to sell. Dont knock $50 off your $500 3 year old item. No one will buy it for that.

Price it to sell, then wait, keep re-posting the add or changing the amount slightly and it will sell if its priced well.

I price items at the value I would be willing to drive somewhere to pick up and pay cash for.

The worst as a seller is when you have posted honest pictures and description and negotiated a price and the guy or gal comes and tries to lowball you on site.

I have had that happen 3 times, twice it was at a neutral location and I just told the guy, this is the price, I told you all the flaws/defects etc and sent you pictures via the phone in case you thought they were old pictures. Take it or leave it, I dont need your $150 that bad to be fkd like I am in prison.

The other time a woman came to my house to buy a used central vac hose and brush etc. She knew the model, age, and pictures and wanted 1/2 of what we originally agreed on which wasnt the list price. I told her no and closed the garage door. She knocked on the door and upped her price to 3/4 of what we agreed on and I ranted on her for a while until she left.
I did that to a guy for hockey tickets. I was already selling below face value and we had agreed to a price. He got there and knocked $20 off his offer. So I countered with face value. He offered me the original agreed upon price. I said no and countered with $10 more.

After much arguing and feeling stupid for doing the exchange at my house I got the $10 extra. It felt good but wasn't really worth it.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #42
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Has anyone used the IM option on the Kijiji App?
yeah, i've noticed that emails sent to me about my ads get sent immediately to the IM feature, so I respond through that.

Seems to work well.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #43
sec304
First Line Centre

Exp:

IM is great.

I do like kijiji even though there's a bunch of crappy people on it.

I just sold a pretty much new item for $60 (originally $100) and when the guy showed up of course he tried to ask if $50 was enough. I told him everything was already agreed upon and he said "ok, worth a try" and still paid the $60.

Tips: I was way too nice when selling or giving stuff away free, if it's free always post "first come, first serve" or prepare to be annoyed with people not getting back to you, or making other arrangements for you to drop it off, etc...
If you get lowball offers just politely say "Thanks but I have already received offers close to my asking amount", they will either f-off or they will actually offer you a decent offer.
sec304 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sec304 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whenever I have stuff I need to sell I pile t up on my driveway and advertise a 'Yard-Sale' and then when enough people arrive and show interest I just set everything on fire and burn it before their eyes!

As if they think they're good enough to re-use my old crap.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #45
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always price about 20% higher than my bottom line. I almost always get offers under what I ask, so then we are both happy, and they think they "won" so they are excited to grab it ASAP.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:01 AM   #46
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Kijiji is Swahili for Village. Owned by eBay.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 11:06 AM   #47
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Appreciate the post by "4x4" but for security reasons i would not recommend putting your exact location in the add, particularly if its an expensive item. My recommendation is to put in an address of a public location(eg, Market Mall) near your place.

I actually like your idea. I'll probably use that in the future for more expensive items that could possibly get stolen out of the garage. But for the old PS3, using your postal code puts you on a street. It applies to probably 30-50 houses.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:13 AM   #48
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always use the postal code for the school nearby. People see where they're going (roughly) and that's good enough. I also use my email only because I don't want phone calls.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:14 AM   #49
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I often use a postal code a couple of streets over. It gets the person close enough to know if it is worth the drive, but saves people cruising your own street looking for what you are selling. Especially good if you are selling before a move.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:19 AM   #50
darklord700
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kijiji is great but I do have some pet peeves.

1. No price on the ad
2. No model number on the ad
3. Asking an old used item for more than the price of a brand new one
4. Saying "I'm in no hurry to sell"
5. Selling with an attitude that he's doing you a favor to sell you his item
6. Wait three days to reply to email
darklord700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:23 AM   #51
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklord700 View Post
Kijiji is great but I do have some pet peeves.

1. No price on the ad
2. No model number on the ad
3. Asking an old used item for more than the price of a brand new one
4. Saying "I'm in no hurry to sell"
5. Selling with an attitude that he's doing you a favor to sell you his item
6. Wait three days to reply to email
Yup, for the sellers, you absolutely need to be prepared. For goodness sake, clean the item, take a decent picture, post the correct item number and be prepared to be inundated with e-mails/calls if priced appropriately. It is unbelievable how much interest there is for all sorts of crap.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #52
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Kijiji is absolutely fantastic as a free junk removal service. It's amazing to me how quickly people reply/show up to grab anything that's free.

Buying/selling is very hit & miss, and depends on what your selling. I've sold (and bought) guitars/camera gear with little trouble. Just ignore the low balls.

On the other hand I had a junker car with a set of snow tires I was trying to upload that was a nightmare. "I'll give $300, can you deliver it to high river?"

I've had similar experiences with TV's & Computers. It's hard to get a fair price when you need to overprice things by at least $50 so the buyer can feel they haggled you down.

Although my favourite Kijiji thing is coming across sellers with terrible photos of expensive camera gear. Just makes me laugh that some one with a photography hobby can't take the 15 minutes to snap decent photos of their $2500 Leica.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #53
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forget Kijiji, the Buy/Sell thread on CP is where it's at. Never had a problem buying or selling anything off this forum.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 AM   #54
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've sold many tickets through kijiji and craigslist. About a third of them I didn't even have to meet, and they transferred me money electronically once I showed them my online profile. I would not have transferred money without meeting, but I'm glad there are some people who are trustworthy out there.

When I was moving I sold a couch that was from IKEA, that I had listed for $300. A guy shows up, likes it, and says he'll give me $200. I say $300. His big thing was that he could take it off my hands that day. I was moving in a month, and I thought it would sell much quicker than 5 hours after I put the ad up, so I wasn't in too big of a hurry. He said he told his wife he wouldn't spend more than $225. I told him he could stop at IKEA on the way home, buy it new for $600 + tax, or give me $300 for a couch that was 6 months old. He gave me the $300, and I helped him move it down to his car. That's about the worst experience I've had on kijiji, and it went fairly smoothly.

I sold a PS3 game once and the guy was shocked I didn't raise my price once he showed up. He said I was the fourth guy he'd gone to buy off of, and each one increased it. Why would people do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:48 AM   #55
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

DoubleF's anecdote.

Spoiler!

I'll use Kijiji, but I'll be more aware of being careful how I do transactions there from now on. The wording tricks some of you use sound super helpful.

I've acquired a few items from buy sell on this forum. Good guys and experiences thus far.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:51 AM   #56
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Nothing is sold until the money is in your hand.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #57
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

What the hell, why would he start insulting and wishing you ill? Interesting people on kijiji haha.

Used Kijiji a bunch of times to buy/sell. Just have to have patience and know the general tips outlined in this thread.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:32 PM   #58
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I did that to a guy for hockey tickets. I was already selling below face value and we had agreed to a price. He got there and knocked $20 off his offer. So I countered with face value. He offered me the original agreed upon price. I said no and countered with $10 more.

After much arguing and feeling stupid for doing the exchange at my house I got the $10 extra. It felt good but wasn't really worth it.
I probably would've just went with the original agreed price rather than trying to make a point, but I can see why you did. If someone comes to my house to buy something, it's usually at a time when I'm not busy. If they offer less than the original agreed price, I'll just say no. It took me 5 minutes to come outside to talk to them, it probably took them much longer to drive over. If they want to invest that much time and go home empty handed, have at 'er.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:34 PM   #59
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've started venturing into Kijiji more and more.

Often times for cheaper items, we agree to a price and then tell people it will be in our mailbox or on our front steps for you to pick up. We ask them to leave the agreed upon money in our mail box. That way we don't have to sit around and wait for the doorbell to ring for some kid toys or whatever.

We always add in some line of "don't be the one to destroy our faith in humanity and not leave the money". I'm sure we'll get taken one of these days, but so far so good - people have left the correct amount of money every time. We've had a few no-shows, as usual, but no biggie as at least we didn't have to sit around waiting for them not to come...
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 12:41 PM   #60
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
DoubleF's anecdote.

Spoiler!

I'll use Kijiji, but I'll be more aware of being careful how I do transactions there from now on. The wording tricks some of you use sound super helpful.

I've acquired a few items from buy sell on this forum. Good guys and experiences thus far.
For the most part, I have stopped being courteous to Kijiji buyers. I'll usually put in the ad "first come, first serve" or something similar. I've had waaay to many times when someone says they're going to come over and buy something or look at something, so I tell others that it's spoken for, but I'll let them know. I end up waiting for the buyer to arrive and eventually send them a text that gets a reply like "hey sorry, we found something better".
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post: