Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 09:59 PM   #4581
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I'm hitting the halfway point of Manhunt on Apple, and having a hell of a time.

It's following the War Secretary chasing down John Wilks Booth, with lots of flashbacks to late civil war Lincoln, and dabbling it's toes in the impacts of emancipation. Tobias Menzies always seemed somewhat type cast as a friend who would heel turn on the protagonist, really enjoying him carrying the mantle himself, and gotta love anything with Patton Oswald in it.

Also currently caught up on Franklin, it's OK but I can't get over the Michael Douglas of it. He is just too distinctive of an individual to play such a well document historic figure. Every time he speaks I can't hear Ben Franklin. Also needed someone a little fatter and a little balder to really feel right. But great production quality, as one would expect with an Apple history piece.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:07 PM   #4582
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I'm perplexed by the ratings, to be honest. Here and elsewhere. To say "it stalls a little too long" is incredibly kind. What has happened?
It is an intriguing story. Costumes are fabulous, cinematography as well. I keep thinking something is about to happen, then it doesn't. Unless you count an earthquake as something, or bashing your head on a rock. They just talk endlessly, unfortunately. I really want to see what these other people do..

Like the book (which was also long) it's paced and deliberate. Rather like playing Go. The Japanese - and this series shows it well - are quite happy to take their time getting to a point or to accomplish something (even - and maybe especially with - pouring tea), with care and design. Love it! Just watched Ep 9 and...oh my!

The casting is superb, the subtitles are a fixture and Anna Sawai is phenomenal...for me, easily the best of the cast, though each member has a moment or two where they simply shine. Add to that some fantastic cinematography and the entire series is a nuanced and wonderful wander into the past.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:09 PM   #4583
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
King Rat would be a good one.

King Rat is one of my favourite old-time POW films.
Old 04-21-2024, 10:10 PM   #4584
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
The real life guy that John Blackthorne is based off lived for 20 years in Japan and became highly influential. There's lots of material they could draw from not in the novel if they wanted to extend it, and it wouldn't surprise me if FX did that given how much the show has exploded in popularity. I'd just be worried about further comparisons to Game of Thrones and what happened to it when they had to write without a book to guide them

Just move on to Tai Pan?
Old 04-21-2024, 11:45 PM   #4585
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Anyone watching Baby Reindeer?

This show is well a ride.
I'm having trouble getting into it.

Its so...awkward and creepy...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote