Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2021, 02:48 PM   #1
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:
Default What is your company's return to the office policy?

I'm curious what is going on out there for everyone that's been working remotely for the last while.

Are you back in the office full time, or with more flexible arrangements?
Are vaccines mandatory, encouraged, or other?

My work is letting things be flexible for the next little bit, and is considering offering cash bonuses to those that submit proof of vaccination, but won't have mandatory vaccinations.

A number of family members are going back in October full time, and vaccinations are mandatory to return to the office (those who won't get vaccinated can work from home if able to, however). Another friend's company offered cash bonuses to the folks who work in close quarters if they got vaccinated as well.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #2
DoubleF
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but technically in Alberta, the vast majority of companies cannot mandate vaccination (except very narrow circumstances where you work with a large population of high risk individuals like working at a hospital or retirement home). I don't even think the company can officially ask about vaccinations (but most people easily volunteer that info anyways) especially in an interview situation.

Back in office full time but we split the office in half during the waves. Everyone in my office has had an opportunity to work remotely multiple times, but we all agree that for our specific work, it's not as productive as being in the office and working together.

We still mask as much as possible in our office (especially with clients), sanitize after clients come in and use transparent barriers between ourselves and the clients (ie: Plexiglass etc.) etc.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:32 PM   #3
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We initially had a back to the office date of mid Sept and thatís been pushed back to early October. Sounds like we will be wfh on Monday and Friday and in the office Tuesday to Thursday. We will not have a mandatory vaccine policy at this time, but there is a chance that the government mandates it for us as some employees are considered as essential. It also sounds like we will not be going back to the office if a mask mandate is implemented in Calgary. It definitely feels like our execs are getting a little antsy to get everyone back in the option ASAP, so that has been an interesting shift in approach.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bagofpucks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 03:37 PM   #4
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

My company's going to implement a permanent hybrid model. The office was supposed to open early September and slowly integrating the people who being in the office was essential, while the hybrid guys like me were going to go later at an undeterminded date, but now that September date been pushed back pending how this 4th wave goes. I don't foresee myself going back to the office till at least near end of the year, if I had to guess.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 03:42 PM   #5
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We were due back next week but its been pushed to early October. I'm somewhat skeptical that things will improve enough by then, have a feeling we could still be out until Nov or 2022. Vaccines aren't mandatory but there has been some discussion of rapid testing.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Supposed to go in next week, been pushed back to end of September.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:03 PM   #7
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

My company has been back in the office since July. Spaced out and distanced open workstations though. Unsure of what happens if cases get worse, but as it stands, we're fully back in. Would like an optional hybrid model (of which I would still work from the office anyways), but don't see that happening.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:20 PM   #8
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Company's going to full hybrid model in the future w/ at least two days on the office weekly. This was supposed to be in mid-September but is getting delayed till November now pending some discussions w/ legal on a proof of vaccination requirement.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #9
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary office opened on August 3rd with required mandatory masking irrespective of vaccination status, ability to distance, or if you were seated at a desk. If you're in the office, you wore a mask.

Needless to say, I'm still working from home.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:26 PM   #10
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Right now I go in once or twice a week as needed. Some people are in the office more regularly because their job needs them to be there. Some people haven't been in the office since March 2020.

Next week we start working part time in the office. 3 days in and 2 days out, alternating weeks. They've come up with a schedule to avoid having too many in the building at once.

Some areas where workers are in a shared work space will seem them work one week in the office and one week from home to alternate time in the building.

It starts next week but I'm on holidays in September. I'm hoping it gets reversed due to rising cases before I return from vacation.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but technically in Alberta, the vast majority of companies cannot mandate vaccination (except very narrow circumstances where you work with a large population of high risk individuals like working at a hospital or retirement home).
Care homes cannot mandate vaccination of staff.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #12
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Care homes cannot mandate vaccination of staff.
Umm…

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canad...date-1.6154297

Others use AHS staff and they also announced a vaccine mandate.

Also, OP is mistaken, any employer, service provider or landlord can mandate vaccines if they want. They just have to provide reasonable accommodation for religious beliefs and disabilities.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 09-01-2021 at 06:03 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:18 PM   #13
Krovikan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

My work is about to open the office up to staff, staff choice if you go in. Limited capacity, desks 2m apart, masks must be worn when you are away from your desk. Limited capacity though due to new seating plans, so if too many people want to come in, some won't be allowed to.

All employees must show proof of double-vacation to go into the office.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:23 PM   #14
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
UmmÖ

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/canad...date-1.6154297

Others use AHS staff and they also announced a vaccine mandate.

Also, OP is mistaken, any employer, service provider or landlord can mandate vaccines if they want. They just have to provide reasonable accommodation for religious beliefs and disabilities.
Many of the larger law firms in town are mandating vaccines if you are going into the office as well. I highly doubt they'd be doing that if they thought it wouldn't pass a challenge.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:26 PM   #15
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

We were mandatory return to office in early July although the majority of us had returned prior to that. Mask mandate was dropped when Calgary rescinded the bylaw. No option for WFH unless authorized my management, which they wonít do.
Lubicon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 07:43 PM   #16
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still flexible. I work from the office almost exclusively though.

Wife has the option but her office is mandating vaccinations to go to the office starting October 1. Big 4 firm.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:42 PM   #17
edslunch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My return to work policy is early retirement at the end of the year and hoping to dodge business travel until then. Used to travel internationally 25-50% and havenít missed it since COVID.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2021, 09:22 PM   #18
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
We were mandatory return to office in early July although the majority of us had returned prior to that. Mask mandate was dropped when Calgary rescinded the bylaw. No option for WFH unless authorized my management, which they wonít do.
That's crazy. Even my terrible stone aged executives are going to allow a hybrid in October when we plan to go back.

GirlySports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:14 AM   #19
Goriders
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We’re going back next week. Many are already in on voluntary basis.

No vaccine requirement.

Was going to be no masks but has shifted back to masks in common spaces and limited people in meeting rooms.

Used to have temp scanners to get in but I think those are gone now.

Modified schedule. Wed and fri option to work at home.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:41 AM   #20
MacFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

We're a small office. We opened our doors in early August. However, people have the option of working remotely whenever they want. We've invested heavily in creating an environment (software and equipment) where people can do their job 100% remotely.

Usually, there are between 3-4 people in the office at any given time, except on one day of the week where we've had up to 7-8. Everyone has their own office, so separation is quite easy.

I've refrained from being preachy about vaccines, but I did send out an email yesterday to all staff indicating my belief that vaccine passports (in whatever name or form you want to call them) are likely coming very soon (not just at my company but everywhere) and to be prepared for fairly extensive hurdles if someone chooses not be vaccinated.
MacFlame is offline   Reply With Quote