Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #1
Snuffleupagus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default It's almost over folks!

I'm predicting by the Aug long weekend Covid19 will treated in the same manner as a bad flu and no longer a pandemic for N-America.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #2
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

We truly and definitely have this bad boy beat for the summer.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 08:08 PM   #3
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If not for my young children unable to get a vaccine, I would say the same thing without question. For me, this will be over by late fall when they will likely have access to a shot. Until then, it feels like half measures.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 08:20 PM   #4
Snuffleupagus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
If not for my young children unable to get a vaccine, I would say the same thing without question. For me, this will be over by late fall when they will likely have access to a shot. Until then, it feels like half measures.
Nah, don't worry man, young kids already kick this thing like a minor cold and if it can't spread their chances of contact are very small anyway.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:29 PM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we need to get through November to January to see how the US with low vaccination rates handles winter if that goes well than I agree it’s the fully with annual boosters.

But functionally with 70% 2 dose vaccinated Canada should be in a position to not overwhelm hospitals.

We also have at least a year of worrying about variants until the world is vaccinated.

Last edited by GGG; 05-29-2021 at 08:31 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #6
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Vaccination rates worldwide will not reach a high enough level to snuff out the variants. New variants will continue to pop up that are more infectious and with ever increasing hospitalization and death rates. Vaccines won’t keep pace and economic focus will prevent all but a few countries from avoiding the umpteen waves we face from the various variants. Political and economic upheaval follow. Death rates eventually skyrocket when the bleak reality that we can’t develop new vaccines fast enough to handle the variants finally dons on the population worldwide. By 2030 the human species is all but extinct with only a sporadic group of post apocalyptic survivors living in the Stone Age on a few islands around the world.

Or whatever, all good by August long. One of the two. Either way, I’m good with it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #7
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

lol, that was awesome, Cecil.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2021, 10:43 PM   #8
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Vaccination rates worldwide will not reach a high enough level to snuff out the variants. New variants will continue to pop up that are more infectious and with ever increasing hospitalization and death rates. Vaccines wonít keep pace and economic focus will prevent all but a few countries from avoiding the umpteen waves we face from the various variants. Political and economic upheaval follow. Death rates eventually skyrocket when the bleak reality that we canít develop new vaccines fast enough to handle the variants finally dons on the population worldwide. By 2030 the human species is all but extinct with only a sporadic group of post apocalyptic survivors living in the Stone Age on a few islands around the world.

Or whatever, all good by August long. One of the two. Either way, Iím good with it.

That's Gold Jerry!
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 11:48 AM   #9
Macman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hate to say it but I think we'll be back to a shutdown or at least some restrictions by September. I just think there's enough people not getting vaccinated that will keep covid going.

I hope I'm wrong but I've been right about quite a bit of this since the beginning. I think where the government messed up is on the mask wearing advocacy and enforcing the rules they did put in place. I also don't think full shutdowns are effective and we've seen it now. Yes the numbers go down but spike right after even partial re-openings!
Partial shutdowns with slow and gradual re-openings with enforcement is how to properly do this.

And why mention things like the Calgary Stampede, let these organizers run their own affairs and have them follow the guidelines set in place for all!
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #10
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
I hate to say it but I think we'll be back to a shutdown or at least some restrictions by September. I just think there's enough people not getting vaccinated that will keep covid going.

I hope I'm wrong but I've been right about quite a bit of this since the beginning. I think where the government messed up is on the mask wearing advocacy and enforcing the rules they did put in place. I also don't think full shutdowns are effective and we've seen it now. Yes the numbers go down but spike right after even partial re-openings!
Partial shutdowns with slow and gradual re-openings with enforcement is how to properly do this.

And why mention things like the Calgary Stampede, let these organizers run their own affairs and have them follow the guidelines set in place for all!
You think there will be a shutdown with 50%+ full vaccinated? Not a chance.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 12:32 PM   #11
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just think there's enough people not getting vaccinated that will keep covid going.
Our vaccination tracjectory seems to suggest otherwise.

https://www.alberta.ca/stats/covid-1...m#vaccinations

Vaccine uptake hits a spurt every time we open a new eligibility because we were slowing down and running out of takers in the previous group, and we aren't going to see those big bursts now that vaccination is open for everyone except 11 and under. We will probably start slowing down by the time we hit 70% eligible, but that's almost a given when you consider some contingent of the currently eligible population doesn't want it.

Quote:
I also don't think full shutdowns are effective and we've seen it now. Yes the numbers go down but spike right after even partial re-openings!
Australia and New Zealand would disagree with you. Alberta has never had a real 'shutdown', we've never even tried to. Everything we've done has been some weird half-measure.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 01:04 PM   #12
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can say, with 100% certainty, that if any future measures to curb covid are directly caused by enough people not getting vaccinated, I won’t be following them. It’s been 15 months of not seeing our friends and our families. I’ve missed watching my friends kids grow up and 95% of my friends haven’t even met my kid. We’ve been breaking the law for weeks now so our (fully vaccinated) parents can meet their grandchild.

If 70% of people are vaccinated and the 30% who aren’t are causing another wave, then maybe the government needs a more creative solution than another shutdown. Force those people to get vaccinated if they want to attend public buildings or send their kids to public schools.

I am not isolating myself any more after my friends and I have two doses of vaccine. I’m done with Covid and when restrictions are lifted at the beginning of July I’m going to see my friends and family members at their houses and mine. I’m sure I’m not the only person who feels that way.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #13
Macman
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hope everything goes well as well because I'm also fed up and want to get back to normal life.
I suppose we weren't in a full shutdown like Australia and New Zealand cause we still had air traffic open to an extent.

Even 25% not vaccinated is quite a few people. I've just been getting a little frustrated with some people that I know despite trying to explain things to them and not getting anywhere, it's time to move on and people should be able to figure things out by now you would think.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:15 PM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I can say, with 100% certainty, that if any future measures to curb covid are directly caused by enough people not getting vaccinated, I wonít be following them. Itís been 15 months of not seeing our friends and our families. Iíve missed watching my friends kids grow up and 95% of my friends havenít even met my kid. Weíve been breaking the law for weeks now so our (fully vaccinated) parents can meet their grandchild.

If 70% of people are vaccinated and the 30% who arenít are causing another wave, then maybe the government needs a more creative solution than another shutdown. Force those people to get vaccinated if they want to attend public buildings or send their kids to public schools.

I am not isolating myself any more after my friends and I have two doses of vaccine. Iím done with Covid and when restrictions are lifted at the beginning of July Iím going to see my friends and family members at their houses and mine. Iím sure Iím not the only person who feels that way.
I dont doubt it.

COVID Fatigue was always going to be an issue, and yeah, a year+ is thoroughly pushing it.

Vaccines arent magic, they're just better than the alternative.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 01:53 PM   #15
Snuffleupagus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I dont doubt it.

COVID Fatigue was always going to be an issue, and yeah, a year+ is thoroughly pushing it.

Vaccines arent magic, they're just better than the alternative.
I suppose it's not proven yet but if true that the vaccine eradicates the virus so much that the likelihood of spreading it is near nil that's magic to me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 02:17 PM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vaccines aren’t magic
They are science
Science is better than magic
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #17
Snuffleupagus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Vaccines arenít magic
They are science
Science is better than magic
Science is as close as you can get to magic.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #18
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
I can say, with 100% certainty, that if any future measures to curb covid are directly caused by enough people not getting vaccinated, I wonít be following them. Itís been 15 months of not seeing our friends and our families. Iíve missed watching my friends kids grow up and 95% of my friends havenít even met my kid. Weíve been breaking the law for weeks now so our (fully vaccinated) parents can meet their grandchild.

If 70% of people are vaccinated and the 30% who arenít are causing another wave, then maybe the government needs a more creative solution than another shutdown. Force those people to get vaccinated if they want to attend public buildings or send their kids to public schools.

I am not isolating myself any more after my friends and I have two doses of vaccine. Iím done with Covid and when restrictions are lifted at the beginning of July Iím going to see my friends and family members at their houses and mine. Iím sure Iím not the only person who feels that way.
Iíve had July 1st as the day I am no longer compliant with anything bu mask wearing. Everyone who wants to protect themselves will have had that opportunity. If India variant comes on strong and our single doses arenít enough I would go back to rule following.

But you are not the only one and I think a good portion of the people who have been compliant will be the same.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2021, 03:46 PM   #19
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There will always be variants as long as there are second rate vaccines handed out in poorer countries. Canada can get ahead by being quick to restrict travel when a new variant is discovered. I have no faith in Trudeau to be quick.

I think that Canada reopens and it's all roses until the vaccine resilient Malaysian variant rolls out, and Canada forgets to restrict travel for a good three weeks afterward. Canada is reinfected, and the rest of the first world restricts travel from Canada, destroying our economy. Malaysia and Canada are nuked into oblivion by China, while Biden claps and says that's good for America. Kenney crawls out of his bunker one week too early to stop radiation poisoning, and immediately starts strip mining the Rockies for some reason.
Old 05-30-2021, 03:59 PM   #20
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I’ve had July 1st as the day I am no longer compliant with anything bu mask wearing. Everyone who wants to protect themselves will have had that opportunity. If India variant comes on strong and our single doses aren’t enough I would go back to rule following.
I think for me it comes down to, like they said, "is this problem impacting the people who refused vaccination in the first place (not unable to)?" Because if it was, f-ck them, I'm going to do as I please. I'll wear my mask when obligated to, but I am living like a normal person again. They are in no small part the reason that we've seen higher cases and hospitalizations, vaccine hestitancy, and extended restrictions. I am happy to let them receive their 2021 Darwin Awards for "Least likely to recognize a threat when they see or hear one".
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post: