Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2020, 10:19 PM   #1881
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everyone else here watching Dark Side of the Ring?

So good.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:37 PM   #1882
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Everyone else here watching Dark Side of the Ring?

So good.
The Brawl for All one was a great watch. What a trainwreck. Bart Gunn was one of my fave wrestlers back then, too. Glad he had an awesome career in Japan after that.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:59 PM   #1883
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah and Cornette is making mileage over Russo's role in it. Gunn was lucky he wasn't brain damaged in that fight with Butterbean, I remember watching it live and cringing through it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #1884
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's amazing how much Butterbean, in that episode, was like... this really wasn't a good idea to fight me. Sounds like he was sympathetic to how much of a trainwreck this tournament was and didn't want to see Bart Gunn get hurt at all. But he still had a job to do. He basically put Gunn out of his misery with that last punch for mercy purposes.

#### WWE for burying Bart Gunn like that. Dude won that tournament fair and square, and wasn't even given a chance to start an angle with Austin as promised. How do you know what you have if you don't give them the ball to run with? That's classic WWE for you.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 08:43 AM   #1885
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I happened to watch the Jimmy Snuka one yesterday. The guy was the Carole Baskin of wrestling.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:42 AM   #1886
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
It's amazing how much Butterbean, in that episode, was like... this really wasn't a good idea to fight me. Sounds like he was sympathetic to how much of a trainwreck this tournament was and didn't want to see Bart Gunn get hurt at all. But he still had a job to do. He basically put Gunn out of his misery with that last punch for mercy purposes.

#### WWE for burying Bart Gunn like that. Dude won that tournament fair and square, and wasn't even given a chance to start an angle with Austin as promised. How do you know what you have if you don't give them the ball to run with? That's classic WWE for you.

I don't think there was ever a real promise of a winner vs Austin program, the bottom line was Dr Death was being built for that program and it was expected that he would win the tournament because he was considered to be that tough. Instead all that happened is a bunch of Wrestlers got hurt.

Here's the fight between JBL and Gunn, you can see that Bart had a whole other level of punching power then anyone else in that stupid tournmanet, and JBL realized that after the first knock down, and he was clearly out cold in the second one

It was a stupid tournament and a typical Russo disaster. Wrestlers ain't fighters. Butterbean and we can make fun of a lot of things with him, legitimately was a trained fighter with a vicious knockout power punch, and yeah it was a mercy kill

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2020, 04:37 PM   #1887
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Taynara Conti has been released, according to PWI Insider.

I think after her tiff with management earlier this year, the writing was on the wall.

Also, I called that one
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 04:56 PM   #1888
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

You did, its a shame, I actually liked her a lot.

Old 04-18-2020, 03:59 PM   #1889
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1251530927232167938

Old 04-21-2020, 09:03 PM   #1890
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well it didn't take long for Nia Jax to come back and hurt somebody. You can hear Sane screaming at her that she wasn't set, and Nia didn't care, that could have been far worse.

The only reason why she's still wrestling is that she's part of the Somoa clan, and that she'd whine to the Rock like she did a couple of years ago.

Old 04-21-2020, 09:55 PM   #1891
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I don't think there was ever a real promise of a winner vs Austin program, the bottom line was Dr Death was being built for that program and it was expected that he would win the tournament because he was considered to be that tough. Instead all that happened is a bunch of Wrestlers got hurt.

Here's the fight between JBL and Gunn, you can see that Bart had a whole other level of punching power then anyone else in that stupid tournmanet, and JBL realized that after the first knock down, and he was clearly out cold in the second one

It was a stupid tournament and a typical Russo disaster. Wrestlers ain't fighters. Butterbean and we can make fun of a lot of things with him, legitimately was a trained fighter with a vicious knockout power punch, and yeah it was a mercy kill

Watching those two clips almost made my physically ill. A fighter basically out on his feet, unable to defend himself and the fight continues in both cases.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 10:19 PM   #1892
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

JBL should have thrown in the towel after he was knocked down the first time, when you look at him staring at Gunn you could see him going "Oh shyte" He suddenly realized that it was for real.

I took boxing in my teen years and even though we had to wear the amateur head gear and all of that, I remember fighting a kid just a sparring match, but he had legit punching power, and the first time he tagged me, I went, nope not ready for this.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 01:45 AM   #1893
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well it didn't take long for Nia Jax to come back and hurt somebody. You can hear Sane screaming at her that she wasn't set, and Nia didn't care, that could have been far worse.

The only reason why she's still wrestling is that she's part of the Somoa clan, and that she'd whine to the Rock like she did a couple of years ago.

Yikes... How could any professional organization let someone screw up this much and this often?

https://twitter.com/user/status/1252683942819438594
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 01:47 AM   #1894
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
JBL should have thrown in the towel after he was knocked down the first time, when you look at him staring at Gunn you could see him going "Oh shyte" He suddenly realized that it was for real.
Couldn’t happen to a nicer guy than JBL
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #1895
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah true enough, except that the story Russo told about him doing this and JBL being a backstage bully at the time was bullshyte. At that time JBL was still relatively junior in the business and hadn't gone to his bullying ways til much later.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:58 PM   #1896
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

My god. It's like he got shot. What a knock out.
White Out 403 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:36 PM   #1897
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Its always scary when someone goes down like that and they convulse.

When you look at JBL after the first knockdown and the ref is asking if he was ok, JBL didn't answer and looked dazed, the Ref really should have stopped it right there.

Old 04-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #1898
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

No WWE 2K21 this year which isn't really a bad thing with how much of a mess 2K20 ended up being.

I wish they would do what EA did with UFC and only release a new game every 2-3 years, have free roster updates, and only do paid DLC for legends and fantasy characters.

https://www.ign.com/articles/wwe-2k21-canceled-2k-games
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:41 AM   #1899
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I took boxing in my teen years and even though we had to wear the amateur head gear and all of that, I remember fighting a kid just a sparring match, but he had legit punching power, and the first time he tagged me, I went, nope not ready for this.
This was actually me with amateur wrestling. I was actually pretty decent but I was short and fat, so I got tossed into a weight class I didn't belong in and got my head slammed into the mat a bunch.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:14 AM   #1900
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Cap and others - if you haven't watched this match between Samoa Joe and Kenta Kobashi in 2005 in ROH, you're missing out. This has to be one of the best documented Hoss fights available, and one of the marked point in wrestling history that brought the new era of athletic strong style to North America to a new audience.

The crowd is wild hot all night, and some of the back story from this is that Kobashi was asking Joe before the match if he should do the "heel Japanese invader" thing and didn't think anyone would know who he was. Joe just chuckled and reminded him to do this thing, the crowd will know he is and let him know.

Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: