Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-08-2019, 01:56 PM   #21
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dunno, in light of the full context of what he said prior to the particular statement, I'd give Reinhart the benefit of the doubt. I missspeak and mess up phrasing all the time, even in regular conversation. I can't imagine it being easier when doing it in front of a bunch of reporters.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:47 PM   #22
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Bad reporting. He misspoke but in the context of his full quote he obviously meant they need more "for our goalies", not "from". Criticized the team commitment to defending the front of the net to help the goalies.
https://www.tsn.ca/reinhart-we-need-...lies-1.1254320

"That's not what I meant at all," Reinhart said, per the Buffalo News. "I think if you follow through the interview a little bit and - obviously, I was frustrated - but I think if you follow around in the interview near the end, I'm saying we all need to come back and defend more. I was trying to say we need more for our goalies. It doesn't take a hockey genius to know those have been our two best guys all year.

"So I think that's on me. It was lost in translation. I wasn't trying to be hard on them at all. I was trying to be harder on the guys skating around the ice to come back and defend more. I mean, if you guys look at the way I handle myself in the media, I'm probably the most boring guy ever that you guys have come across in your how many years here. That's on me, and that's not what I meant at all. But we're already joking around today, so we're all good."
Always read both sides of the story before passing judgement
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #23
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think this is a league wide problem right now.

I break it down at a high level like:
  • There were rules changes which have made goal-tending harder.
  • As a result, goaltenders are letting in more goals, and conversely players are scoring more goals.
  • Players feel they are doing better than ever because of their higher output.
  • Goaltenders are looking bad because more goals are going in.
Humans are not good at seeing how these big “on average” trends are related, and stem from the rule changes. Especially when trends are obscured at the individual level by the normal year to year variations in performance.

The challenge for teams is to avoid this hurting their locker-rooms.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #24
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Yeah its pretty clear the Sabre PR staff hit defcon 1 after being told of the quote and then had Sam reel it back in as soon as he could.

Smart move.
*defcon 5
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 03:49 PM   #25
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
*defcon 5
Quote:
The United States' DEFCON (short for "defense readiness condition") scale is a measure of the level of alertness of the nation's defense forces. The DEFCON scale uses a minimum of 5 (for normal peacetime status) and a maximum of 1 (for situations of global severity, like nuclear war).
Old 02-08-2019, 04:07 PM   #26
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quoted out of context.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #27
Brewmaster
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
"It's a choice you've got to make, protecting your own net and having respect for it," Housley said. "You look at the game and five of the six goals come right in front of our net. That's an area that players from the opposition should be very wary of going into. We've got to be tougher to play against. We've got to start pushing guys out."
Anyone else find this quote somewhat amusing coming from Phil Housley? Despite putting up good offensive numbers, no one would ever accuse him of being tough to play against.
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote