Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-02-2019, 08:57 PM   #41
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kreider could be an intriguing target. He brings a ton of speed and has decent size. Signed for another season and one of Johnny’s buddies. I would rather give up our 1st+ for him than Hayes.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #42
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really hope this is true. We're 5/1 to win the cup according to betting sites. No reason to not go for it.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:01 PM   #43
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
TB is both one of the smallest and lightest teams in the league...

Paywalled, but for those with a subscription

https://theathletic.com/210035/2018/...ht-and-weight/

somewhat surprising, Calgary is the 4 tallest team...tied for 20th heaviest, but only 0.7 lbs per player more from being ranked 15th...
Yeah. Let's not tear a page from the Chiarelli/Oilers playbook and start going back to heavy hockey.
Please
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2019, 09:04 PM   #44
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thirty View Post
Couturier (wishful thinking) or Schenn would be ideal targets for me.
Both would be 1st +, but have term and reasonable cap hits.
They would be crazy to trade Couturier. He's young, he's good, and he's tough. He's part of the answer, not the problem in Philadelphia.
Old 02-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #45
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Couturier would be incredible, but the cost is probably sky high
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #46
Kybb79
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Zadorov
Kybb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:46 PM   #47
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudreau4Life View Post
One Mark Stone please
For Neil and 1st please
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 11:55 PM   #48
Phagoof
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
Couturier would be incredible, but the cost is probably sky high
1st, Kylington, Dube, Jankowski, Czarnik

for

Couturier and Raffl

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Couturier-Neal
Bennett-Backlund-Frolik
Raffl-Ryan-Hathaway

Giordano-Brodie
Hanifin-Hamonic
Valimaki-Andersson

Rittich
Not terrible backup

If Neal can't produce with Tkachuk and Couts who the hell knows. But that line-up is god tier. Line-up slotting is absolutely perfect.

Last edited by Phagoof; 02-03-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Phagoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 12:13 AM   #49
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still am hoping for Kreider or Toffoli. Kreider would definitely cost more, but they both have a year left on their deals. Toffoli could be a great buy low opportunity.
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tbull8 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 01:06 AM   #50
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luder View Post
Kypreos has taken too many shots to the head
Or not enough..
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 01:20 AM   #51
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sureloss reminding us that Connie and Tree both said the 1st won’t be moved for a rental is just about the most caring thing I’ve ever seen a news bot do.

He (“they”) care enough about the CP community that they reminded us to take a step back from the ledge and remember that if we move our 1st, it won’t be for a 2-4 month hired gun.

(Random way to say thank you Sureloss. You’re one of the many posters that make CP as much fun as it is!)

I’m excited! This is exciting!
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 04:45 AM   #52
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post

somewhat surprising, Calgary is the 4 tallest team...tied for 20th heaviest, but only 0.7 lbs per player more from being ranked 15th...
That's likely a result of us having a rather young team, with lots of guys that aren't done building themselves up physically.

That, or it's a deliberate training choice to be leaner.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 06:03 AM   #53
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Watching CHI v MINN.

Both Dallas and Minn seem like they are much bigger than we are.

I’m on board with adding some toughness for the playoffs.
Yeah but both Minnesota and Chicago are mediocre teams. They're probably looking at us, 2nd in the league, and how they'd like to emulate things that we have.

By all means add a little toughness but for the most part we have a good thing going. It's pretty comical how one game after a 9 day break twisted people's undergarments.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 09:59 AM   #54
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Sureloss reminding us that Connie and Tree both said the 1st won’t be moved for a rental is just about the most caring thing I’ve ever seen a news bot do.

He (“they”) care enough about the CP community that they reminded us to take a step back from the ledge and remember that if we move our 1st, it won’t be for a 2-4 month hired gun.

(Random way to say thank you Sureloss. You’re one of the many posters that make CP as much fun as it is!)

I’m excited! This is exciting!
It’s also a subtle reminder from sureloss that Kypreos often likes to hear the sound of his own voice to sound important at the best of times, but people get hyper sensitive to any talking heads saying anything, no matter how casually or as pure personal conjecture, this time of year.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 10:32 AM   #55
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winnipeg and Nashville will likely load up. Luckily the Sharks have spent multiple future 1sts on Kane and Karlsson so they could be in tough to get one of the big boys but Vegas is also a team we should be worried about as they likely will have a good shot to sign whoever they trade for so could be willing to spend big on a Stone or Panarin.

Flames should be willing to be aggressive but hoping that of our 1st is in play that it is for more than a rental so Panarin and Duchene do not make sense imo.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:41 AM   #56
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The sharks are going to be one of the worst teams in the NHL in 3 or 4 years. They have one of their last 3 1st rounders in the organization... Have traded their next 2 and lose a 3rd consecutive 1st rounder if the resign Karlsson. Plus they've dealt tons of other prospects and picks. As their core guys age out they are going to be God awful

If you ever think Tre deals too many picks just console yourself by looking at Wilson. How you deal firsts in 5 outta 6 years is crazy. (though I guess they picked Norris before they dealt him at least)
Matty81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:45 AM   #57
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
The sharks are going to be one of the worst teams in the NHL in 3 or 4 years. They have one of their last 3 1st rounders in the organization... Have traded their next 2 and lose a 3rd consecutive 1st rounder if the resign Karlsson. Plus they've dealt tons of other prospects and picks. As their core guys age out they are going to be God awful

If you ever think Tre deals too many picks just console yourself by looking at Wilson. How you deal firsts in 5 outta 6 years is crazy. (though I guess they picked Norris before they dealt him at least)

That’s generally the cost of trying to extend your competing window.

Then it’s the rebuild with high draft picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 10:51 AM   #58
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Yeah. Let's not tear a page from the Chiarelli/Oilers playbook and start going back to heavy hockey.
Please
Why is Tampa the model then? Or do you prefer a team that puts up big numbers in the regular season and then gets beat down and chokes every playoffs?

We don’t need to be a team of thugs, but having a couple guys who intimidate the other team AND can play is almost a given on every cup winning team. Anyone who’s played competitive sports can back up the fact that if the other team has someone who’s in your head and your aware of when they are on or off the field/ice they are already a factor in the game even if they don’t score. And when they are a player who can also put up points that’s what makes them a must for a winning team.

Guys like: Ferland, Simmonds, Wilson, Maroon etc. Having one of these guys is something that I’d definetely be in favor of losing our likely at least late 20’s first round pick in the draft ( hopefully it’s # 31 )
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2019, 11:03 AM   #59
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That’s generally the cost of trying to extend your competing window.

Then it’s the rebuild with high draft picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I agree but personally think they should have reloaded a bit instead of going all in. They had the one run but have not been a real threat in the playoffs otherwise.. Burns Pavelski and Thornton are about to turn 34, 35 and 40. I think they would have been better off in the long run gutting their future to add Kane and Karlsson. I think it will take a good 4 or 5 years to get back up when they go down, will be interesting to see if they keep the fans.

But who knows maybe it pays off this year for them... West feels wide open.
Matty81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:10 AM   #60
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
Why is Tampa the model then? Or do you prefer a team that puts up big numbers in the regular season and then gets beat down and chokes every playoffs?

We don’t need to be a team of thugs, but having a couple guys who intimidate the other team AND can play is almost a given on every cup winning team. Anyone who’s played competitive sports can back up the fact that if the other team has someone who’s in your head and your aware of when they are on or off the field/ice they are already a factor in the game even if they don’t score. And when they are a player who can also put up points that’s what makes them a must for a winning team.

Guys like: Ferland, Simmonds, Wilson, Maroon etc. Having one of these guys is something that I’d definetely be in favor of losing our likely at least late 20’s first round pick in the draft ( hopefully it’s # 31 )
i was on board with Reeves, as i think he's really a solid player.

however, the reaction after the washington game was perplexing to me... yeah, washington intimidated calgary to the point they needed a last minute PP goal past the backup goalie to win over a calgary team that hasn't played a game in 12 days...?

it sure didn't seem like Calgary was intimidated at all to me... they fought back after getting behind early in the game and fought off a parade to the penalty box to even up the game late in the third after being down 3-1 on the road to the defending SC champs...

Calgary is only 0.5 lbs per person lighter than vegas while pittsburgh is 0.7 lbs heavily than calgary... Calgary is right in the middle 0.7 pounds off from being 15th in the league in weight.

the difference in that game wasn't a "reeves type" player, it was goaltending.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote