Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 01-30-2019, 08:26 AM   #61
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The last time that I can remember a number one goalie being traded as a rental was Roloson. And there, I think the notion was just to get into the POs (not ease their way into the finals after the top 4 western teams shat the bed). Edmonton finished with 95 points, behind the Flames, Stars, Sharks, Ducks, Preds and Wings and tied with the Avs. I doubt the finals were a serious thought.

Usually a team in a position to rent is in good enough PO shape that they already have a decent number one.

Then you had the Ben Bishop situation, who was a number one when the Kings acquired him but was clearly meant to backup/be insurance for Quick.

No one is acquiring Bob to be their insurance, though.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #62
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ped View Post
Then you had the Ben Bishop situation, who was a number one when the Kings acquired him but was clearly meant to backup/be insurance for Quick.

No one is acquiring Bob to be their insurance, though.
Oh, yeah, that was a pretty weird situation to me. Budaj had been more than capable in Quick's absence that year, and Quick was back. And Bishop played in only 7 games (!) for LA, and LA didn't make the POs.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #63
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The last time that I can remember a number one goalie being traded as a rental was Roloson

Buffalo sending Ryan Miller to St. Louis
MrMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:43 AM   #64
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Buffalo sending Ryan Miller to St. Louis
Right. That sure didn't work out either.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:44 AM   #65
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel bad for Columbus having to deal with the pair of Russian circus clowns they have. It’s hard to understand why anyone in their right mind would want to bring this gong show to Calgary. I don’t care how great they are. They’re a cancer to any team that gets them.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:47 AM   #66
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
I feel bad for Columbus having to deal with the pair of Russian circus clowns they have. It’s hard to understand why anyone in their right mind would want to bring this gong show to Calgary. I don’t care how great they are. They’re a cancer to any team that gets them.
Circus yes, but it's not like they are bolting to go to KHL. They have earned the right to go to free agency and been up front about it. Columbus is like the Winnipeg of the US. It's not shocking players don't want to sign long term deals to play there.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2019, 08:48 AM   #67
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper_3434 View Post
Bishop has won in the playoffs
My guess is Bobrovsky will be signed by a team just desperate to get to the playoffs.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:27 AM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
My guess is Bobrovsky will be signed by a team just desperate to get to the playoffs.
Like Columbus?

Thing is, looking at a lot of the bubble teams, goaltending isn't the main issue. In the west the Ducks, Stars, Yotes, Wild and Avs all have good goalies. I even think Markstrom is decent in Vancouver (plus they are in a rebuild and won't give up prospects or picks).

In the east those teams are Columbus' direct rivals for a spot. Plus, Pittsburgh is set and so are Montreal, Boston, Washington and even Buffalo. Maybe Carolina, but they are a little farther back and probably in sell mode?
Old 01-30-2019, 09:31 AM   #69
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking Florida may be an ideal location for him but Luongo's deal runs into 2021/22 season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 09:46 AM   #70
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Circus yes, but it's not like they are bolting to go to KHL. They have earned the right to go to free agency and been up front about it. Columbus is like the Winnipeg of the US. It's not shocking players don't want to sign long term deals to play there.
I highly doubt either of them would play in Calgary either. They want big cities or destination hot spots. For some reason, Swedes and Finns don't seem to have a problem integrating anywhere in North America, but Russians like to be surrounded by expats. This fussiness about where they'll play is part of the Russian factor in the NHL.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-30-2019 at 09:49 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #71
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, yeah, that was a pretty weird situation to me. Budaj had been more than capable in Quick's absence that year, and Quick was back. And Bishop played in only 7 games (!) for LA, and LA didn't make the POs.
Budaj is actually terrible, as the Kings had to play a huge defensive game to help protect him, really hurting their offense. He had what looks like a career year based on goals against and save %, but it was more the team than him. His year was certain an outlier for him.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:06 AM   #72
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Budaj is actually terrible, as the Kings had to play a huge defensive game to help protect him, really hurting their offense. He had what looks like a career year based on goals against and save %, but it was more the team than him. His year was certain an outlier for him.
Fair enough, though 7 regular season games (2-3-2) by Bishop and way out of the POs hardly seems to be worth the price paid for a rental.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:25 AM   #73
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough, though 7 regular season games (2-3-2) by Bishop and way out of the POs hardly seems to be worth the price paid for a rental.
That's the way it turned out for sure.

I believe that with Quick coming back, but likely not able to assume a full load, the thought was to bring in a stellar back up, and hope that they could go back to playing a more offensive style, relying on elite goaltending to make the playoffs.

Their plan failed miserably.

But I think it was about making a last chance effort for a team that was close to its expiration date. Remember, the Kings parlayed an 8th place finish and won the Cup previously. I assume they hoped to do it again.

Teams on their last legs of contention sometimes make all sorts of trades at the deadline and hope it's enough. Chicago did it with success as they won their last Cup when they were not even close to the best team in the league by any measure.

Last edited by The Cobra; 02-08-2019 at 09:53 AM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 12:18 PM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
That's the way it turned out for sure.

I believe that with Quick coming back, but likely not able to assume a full load, the thought was to bring in a stellar back up, and hope that they could go back to playing a more offensive style, relying on elite goaltending to make the playoffs.

Their plan failed miserably.

But I think it was about making a last chance effort for a team that was close to its expiration date. Remember, the Kings parlayed an 8th place finish and won the Cup previously. I assume they hoped to do it again.

Teams on their last legs of contention sometimes make all sorts of trades at the deadline and hope it's enough. Chicago did it with success as they won their last Cup when they were likely the best team in the league by any measure.
I forget where exactly LA was at the deadline. But by the end they were something like 6-8 points out, with teams in between. If they thought theyw ere contenders they were dumb.

The previous 8th place to Cup win was mostly due to a horrific start to the season, and not their trend at the end.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #75
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Kevin Weekes reporting Panarin has changed agents today. Wonder if this changes his negotiating stance?

News Update

Kevin Weekes @KevinWeekes
*Breaking News *
@BlueJacketsNHL Panarin has made a change in his Agent representation .
@NHL @NHLNetwork #HockeyTwitter
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:37 AM   #76
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Okay Friedman says he is now represented by Bobrovsky's agent. Looks like they will be a package deal in free agency.

News Update

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC
There is word today Artemis Panarin has joined teammate Sergei Bobrovsky’s agent, Paul Theofanous. This is going to lead to plenty of speculation they could be a package deal in free agency. We will see how it plays out.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:42 AM   #77
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

So don't bother wasting assets on one if you can't or won't sign them both in the summer.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #78
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are Bob and Panarin buddies a la Richards/Carter?
Old 02-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #79
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Them ending up in Florida is just so inevitable

Put me down for a rental Panarin though even for a first and prospect. I think he is the best player available. I would even say he is roughly as good as Gaudreau even which is insanely high praise.

Might as well push the chips all in
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #80
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo45 View Post
Them ending up in Florida is just so inevitable
Sure feels that way....

wonder if CBJ sewers their season to trade them before the deadline so they at least get something. seems like they're both out the door...
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote