Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2019, 04:12 PM   #21
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what to think of Mangipane. I know lots of posters here think highly of him but I've never really gotten the jist of why. He makes some really nice plays but nothing ever comes of it and I think his staking from a stand still is wonky. I guess I mean his acceleration. And he's not overly fast for a guy his size. I think he has some great attributes but really lacking in others.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 04:14 PM   #22
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Or having NHL quality defence play in front of him.
Schneider hasn't had an NHL-quality defence in front of him either.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:16 PM   #23
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Schneider hasn't had an NHL-quality defence in front of him either.
Bring him up. I highly doubt either Gillies or Schneider are worse than Smith right now.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 04:36 PM   #24
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Bring him up. I highly doubt either Gillies or Schneider are worse than Smith right now.
There goes that old-time religion again. Some people can't wrap their heads around the idea that there are actually worse goalies than Mike Smith.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:41 PM   #25
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
There goes that old-time religion again. Some people can't wrap their heads around the idea that there are actually worse goalies than Mike Smith.
Did you actually see the montage that was shown when Loubo was talking?

Smith is not stopping shots he should.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 04:43 PM   #26
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Did you actually see the montage that was shown when Loubo was talking?

Smith is not stopping shots he should.
So that makes him the worst goalie in the entire world? No.

I repeat: There are worse options out there. Bringing up a guy who is stinking up the minors is one of them.
Old 01-06-2019, 04:50 PM   #27
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
So that makes him the worst goalie in the entire world? No.

I repeat: There are worse options out there. Bringing up a guy who is stinking up the minors is one of them.
Repeat that all you want.

And I will say this.

Save percentage can be as close to a useless stat as there is, without context. It is a team stat, first, then a goalie stat next.

There are shots that goalies should stop, shots they could stop, and shots they can’t reasonably stop. Team play gives you the proportion.

Then goalie works with that. Smith is failing too often with group 1.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It makes sense to bring Lazar up now.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:18 PM   #29
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Repeat that all you want.

And I will say this.

Save percentage can be as close to a useless stat as there is, without context. It is a team stat, first, then a goalie stat next.

There are shots that goalies should stop, shots they could stop, and shots they can’t reasonably stop. Team play gives you the proportion.

Then goalie works with that. Smith is failing too often with group 1.
Jay doesn't mention save percentage once in his post. The fact is the goalies in Stockton aren't getting things done. Do you really want to hitch your wagon to a well below average AHL goalie?
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey-and_stuff For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #30
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

If only we still had Klimchuk to call up, he's on fire right now. 2 points in 13 games for the Marlies.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:27 PM   #31
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Jay doesn't mention save percentage once in his post. The fact is the goalies in Stockton aren't getting things done. Do you really want to hitch your wagon to a well below average AHL goalie?
From the reports Stocktons finest over on FlamesNation has given Giles often starts out okay but then falls to pieces once a goal goes in and then usually lets in a bunch more. It doesn’t sound like a guy who is ready to be thrust into NHL action. Schneider might be better than Smith but hard to say.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:34 PM   #32
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

You really can't predict goalies until you see them in the NHL though. Last year Gillies and Rittichs both didn't look great. Iirc correctly Gillies looked better than Rittichs in the pre season too. There's no way to say for sure Gillies would suck here until we try. I'm not saying he's any answer for sure but who knows
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 05:48 PM   #33
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
Below average by what measure?
Old 01-06-2019, 05:55 PM   #34
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Below average by what measure?
Well you don't get a GAA over 4.00 by stopping all the shots that you should, which you seem to think Gillies does and Smith can't.

I'm not really here to argue. I think you have your mind made up about Smith and I don't think I have anything to say that will change your mind. I won't be commenting further.
Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 PM   #35
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to say. The Flames have all the good Heat d-men. Looks like the Heat's current D roster is nothing but journeymen.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #36
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
Hard to say. The Flames have all the good Heat d-men. Looks like the Heat's current D roster is nothing but journeymen.
I'll admit that it doesn't look like the Heat can defend anything this season. But when you're giving up 4+ on the regular the goalies are a part of the problem.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:04 PM   #37
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we trying to pretend that the Flames are only assessing Gillies on his stats? I’m sure they are evaluating his stats, the actual goals he’s given up, his work in practice. All of it. And based on that they haven’t seemed him to be a guy they are prepared to give a start to
Do we have any evidence or reports that his stats and play don’t align to the same conclusion that he simply hasn’t been good enough?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #38
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wanting to see what a few of our younger goaltenders have, while our BACKUP is struggling is not "hitching your wagon" to anything. Our wagon is hitched to Rittich. It's putting a young player into a no-lose scenario. Yes there are worse goaltenders tahn Smith, of course. In the NHL? Debatable. So, you have a scenario where if Mike Smith plays, he is bad. If an AHL call up plays he could also be bad. He could also be NOT AS BAD. But there's no way that Mike Smith can be not as bad as Mike Smith. As he is Mike Smith.

I don't understand how this is so difficult to grasp.
Old 01-06-2019, 06:07 PM   #39
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Wanting to see what a few of our younger goaltenders have, while our BACKUP is struggling is not "hitching your wagon" to anything. Our wagon is hitched to Rittich. It's putting a young player into a no-lose scenario. Yes there are worse goaltenders tahn Smith, of course. In the NHL? Debatable. So, if you have a scenario where if Mike Smith plays, he is bad. If an AHL call up plays he could also be bad. He could also be NOT AS BAD.

I don't understand how this is so difficult to grasp.
Because you don’t just hand an nhl start to a young goalie playing poorly out of hope
Hope is not a plan
Bottom line is the team seems to believe that Smith gives them a better chance to win compared to Gillies
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #40
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Because you don’t just hand an nhl start to a young goalie playing poorly out of hope
Hope is not a plan
Bottom line is the team seems to believe that Smith gives them a better chance to win compared to Gillies
Isn't hope the plan every night with Smith in net?

It's not hope. It's giving a young player a test when you can. January games, the team is in the class of the league and our back up sucks. Whats the harm? You lose a game mid-season you were in tough to win anyways because again, your back up sucks. Try another back up? What if Smith was hurt? He's not a viable option, he might as well be. Thats when we would be hoping because we have no clue.