Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2018, 08:24 AM   #81
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Meh, it wasn't bad, but I'd hate to see this forum if Smith let that shot in.

Palat makes it 5-2.
Every outside shot that goes in against Smith is bad. Every similar shot that goes in against Rittich, or by a Flame, or against another goalie in OOT is a laser.

Thought that with Johnny's short side goal the other night (the one where Ryan got an assist). Posters were all "what a snipe". I wondered where all the "hug the post, dammit" posters were.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #82
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Every outside shot that goes in against Smith is bad. Every similar shot that goes in against Rittich, or by a Flame, or against another goalie in OOT is a laser.

Thought that with Johnny's short side goal the other night (the one where Ryan got an assist). Posters were all "what a snipe". I wondered where all the "hug the post, dammit" posters were.
We get it you like Smith.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #83
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
We get it you like Smith.
That's the thing, I don't like him and I was against getting him from the start. I thought he was too old (I was eating crow in the first half of last year on that). I concur that Smith has cost about 4-6 points at least. I think Rittich should get 60% of the games or more. I agree with posters that this should be a transition (or else they need to look for a goalie pickup). Plus Smith's hats are stupid.

I just dislike "see what you want" commenting. I think it detracts from the overall analysis, and just looks petty.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #84
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by your_dad View Post
Do we want Kings or Jets? Kings are bad bad, but do we care about being on top of the west?
The Kings to win, as we care about being #1 in the conference.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #85
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

You gotta be kidding me...This ticked all the boxes of the type of hit that needs to be eliminated from the game.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1075421273604317184
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:23 AM   #86
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Rittich has played well here and the fans would eat Smith alive if he lets in another softy, which could set Smith’s confidence back even more. That has to be factored into the decision.
That can't be factored into the decision. The solution to the Flames goaltending issues is not to simply eliminate all of Smith's home starts. He has to play, and he has to play—even if occasionally—at the Saddledome. The coaches should never be making decisions on the basis of fan reactions.

I agree with KFF—Rittich should start Thursday and Smith on Saturday. I am quite sure both goalies will get a game before the Christmas break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:28 AM   #87
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final scores and links
For the 3rd straight night, 7 points still separates 1st to 8th place in the west.
The 3 way tie for 1st place in the western conference continues.
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/sco...p?day=20181218
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/news/NHL-R...ate=12-18-2018

The Bhawks did a nice surprise for everyone by beating the Predators 2-1 in reg time. Fiala gave the Predators a 1-0 lead late in the 1st period, after that, Cam Ward stopped everything Nashville fired at him. The Bhawks got 2 goals in the later stages of the 2nd period and hung on in the 3rd period. Ward faced 31 shots and Rinne had 36 shots.

The Rangers woke up in the 3rd period after the Ducks got a fluke goal in the 2nd period. The shots in the final period were 14-1 in favour of the Rangers who won 3-1. The Ducks had Chad Johnson in net and held them in the game until Hayes scored a SHG with 40 seconds left in reg time, that was the winner. Namestnikov had 3 points. The irony is that the Ducks did well on the PK going 5/5.

The Leafs showed their offensive skills as they burned the Devils 7-2. Kinkaid was pulled after letting in 5 goals. McKenzie Blackwood took over in the Devils net for the 3rd period.

The Islanders are playing well right now as they won 3-1 against the Coyotes. Lehner was they key in the win as the Isles were out shot 16-5 in the 3rd period. It's the 2nd road win on consecutive nights for the Isles.

Couture had 2 goals in the Sharks 4-0 win, Jones with the 26 save SHUTOUT.

The Panthers scored 4 goals in the 3rd period as they beat the Sabres 5-2.

Last in the west beats one of the best in the west. Good job by the Kings in their 4-1 win over the Jets. Wagner with 2 goals for the Kings.

The Flyers beat the Red Wings 3-2 in reg time. The big story aside form the interim coach for the Flyers was the rookie goalie for the Flyers. Carter Hart made 20 saves in his 1st NHL game. From the post game links, "Hart became the sixth goalie to start for the Flyers this season, marking the 14th time in league history a team has used six goalies in a season and the only time it has happened within the first 35 games."

Last edited by Tsawwassen; 12-19-2018 at 09:33 AM.
Tsawwassen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:31 AM   #88
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That can't be factored into the decision. The solution to the Flames goaltending issues is not to simply eliminate all of Smith's home starts. He has to play, and he has to play—even if occasionally—at the Saddledome. The coaches should never be making decisions on the basis of fan reactions.

I agree with KFF—Rittich should start Thursday and Smith on Saturday. I am quite sure both goalies will get a game before the Christmas break.
I think home v. away should at least be considered when starting Smith.

I also think whether the team has a dumping style should be considered. Smith's puckhandling is a defensive asset in those games. On the other hand, if they are a cross-crease passing team, Rittich has the advantage.
Old 12-19-2018, 09:48 AM   #89
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

I think for the decision on the Tampa game, it should be factored in. You want to set Smith back up for success. I don't think it's best to start him on a home game after a road trip against the best scoring team in the league. That has the potential to go south real quick. So I do agree with you that he should get the St. Louis game.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #90
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
You gotta be kidding me...This ticked all the boxes of the type of hit that needs to be eliminated from the game.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1075421273604317184

Unfortunately headshots on the Canucks tend to be ignored. He haven't had Sven for almost a month for the exact same type of play.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote