Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2019, 02:47 PM   #141
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Axford signs 1.65M minor league deal

https://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/ml...r-league-deal/
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:33 AM   #142
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Stroman no happy.

John Lott@LottOnBaseball
In a 21-minute media scrum, Marcus Stroman criticized the #BlueJays front office for not signing more veterans and not offering him a long-term deal. His commitment, he said, is to Toronto and Canada, pointedly omitting a mention of the club he works for.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 11:35 AM   #143
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Loup gone......signs 1 year deal with Padres.
Old 02-17-2019, 12:01 PM   #144
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Stroman no happy.

John Lott@LottOnBaseball
In a 21-minute media scrum, Marcus Stroman criticized the #BlueJays front office for not signing more veterans and not offering him a long-term deal. His commitment, he said, is to Toronto and Canada, pointedly omitting a mention of the club he works for.
Could see this coming from a mile (or two plus years) away. First, he came into the league with a hot team, a contending one, so he got a taste of being close...had a guy like Price come in and mentor him and all was well. The Jays are 4 years away if all goes well, even with proper roster management (which I am not so sure in with this group) from being able to get there again, barring something totally unforseeen, and that doesn’t jive with him at this stage of his career.

Second, he’s got an ego and swagger. Nothing wrong with that to a point, but his expectations given the above, doesn’t mesh with the penny pinching financial approach, and the vague, two faced executives that are in place now.

Commitment to Toronto and Canada, while I believe he likes it,is a nice way of saying to fans, as he exits, it’s not you, it’s them.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 12:10 PM   #145
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Loup gone......signs 1 year deal with Padres.
Loup was traded at the deadline so he was already gone.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 12:37 PM   #146
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Brain cramp, you are correct.

But I guess now he’s really gone!
Old 02-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #147
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Where does the time go. Spring training starts in a few weeks. So many FA stars still available including some great pitchers. Toronto could sure use a front end starter and outfielder with pop & average.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 01:53 PM   #148
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The jays should sign Kimbrel to a two year deal and just trade him for a kings ransom at the deadline.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:53 PM   #149
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I were the Jays, I'd try and lock up some FA's on 2 or 3 year deals and just deal a few of them at the deadline to desperate playoff teams for prospects. No point of playing a D-grade prospect hoping he catches lightning in a bottle. Pay the veteran and deal him at the deadline for a legit prospect.

As for Stroman, I guess with so many FA's out there, the trade market is terrible. It's pretty obvious they want little of him, but can't do a deal at this time. Stroman should STFU though (to be crude about it). His big mouth, entitlement and lack of consistency has put him in a position to be on his way out, so there's little love on my end for him too. On the Jays front office, I certainly feel they have the corporate snake-culture going on at the highest levels (IMO).
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2019, 07:47 PM   #150
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is being on his way out a real threat to him?

The Jays are going nowhere.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 08:12 PM   #151
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
Where does the time go. Spring training starts in a few weeks. So many FA stars still available including some great pitchers. Toronto could sure use a front end starter and outfielder with pop & average.
Already underway....first game is Saturday.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 PM   #152
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Stro should absolutely be on his way out. He puts his foot in his mouth sometimes for sure. But Browna's right, the Jays and Stroman are no match.

Stro is a fierce competitor that fights to win with everything he has. It worked when the Jays stumbled into contender status for a couple seasons, but in general they're lackadaisical attitude towards building a winner with complete reluctance to do what it takes to get to the top, combined with their transparent bull**** in explaining why the did or didn't do things just won't keep a player like him quiet and content.

Move on.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 AM   #153
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Anytime a Toronto player gets the Toronto skyline tattooed across his stomach he's good in my books. Stro just wants to win and he has no filter. I wish more professional athletes were like him.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to savemedrzaius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #154
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Stro should absolutely be on his way out. He puts his foot in his mouth sometimes for sure. But Browna's right, the Jays and Stroman are no match.

Stro is a fierce competitor that fights to win with everything he has. It worked when the Jays stumbled into contender status for a couple seasons, but in general they're lackadaisical attitude towards building a winner with complete reluctance to do what it takes to get to the top, combined with their transparent bull**** in explaining why the did or didn't do things just won't keep a player like him quiet and content.

Move on.
I am with you on this. I like Stroman and I like how he wears his emotions on his sleeve and speaks his mind. It's got him this far why change anything. I think Stroman should get an extension somewhere though, likely not with this regime in charge who seem reluctant to offer anyone except Kendrys Morales (???) a long term deal.

Stroman is smart and knows he should get paid. Since Stroman came into the league in 2014 he has been worth 11.9 WAR which is right around Jordan Zimmerman (11.5 WAR, 22 million/season average), Sonny Gray (12.1 WAR, 10 million/season average), Patrick Corbin (11.4 WAR, 23 million/season average).
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:30 PM   #155
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently Stroman has been liking tweets that rip the current Blue Jays management group, mainly Atkins and Shapiro.

Haha
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2019, 05:01 AM   #156
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Haha, this is awesome and so deserved. I've always loved the fire and passion of Stroman.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 AM   #157
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

You guys can fawn over Stroman all you like but the bottom line is that he isn't happy and very much is bringing his malcontent attitude with him.

Firstly....he just hasn't been that good the last few years.

Secondly....You really want that kind of attitude around a group of players this young and impressionable? Guys just learning the ropes at the MLB level?

Fire Stromans ass out ASAP I say.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #158
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw an interview with Vladdy Jr this weekend. He was born in Canada and needs an interpreter? WTF? You'd think Sr. would have had him learn the language here.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 09:29 AM   #159
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
You guys can fawn over Stroman all you like but the bottom line is that he isn't happy and very much is bringing his malcontent attitude with him.

Firstly....he just hasn't been that good the last few years.

Secondly....You really want that kind of attitude around a group of players this young and impressionable? Guys just learning the ropes at the MLB level?

Fire Stromans ass out ASAP I say.
I'm not fawning over him, I just thought it was funny and typical Stroman.

I happen to like the Jays management group, and I'm just hoping Stroman builds value in the first half so he can be dealt for something good instead of being off loaded for whatever peanuts they can get because he's pitching like ass.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 05:40 PM   #160
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like Jays management, though I as a fan have no choice but to hope they're doing the right thing. Very little have I seen them get fair value back, or trade the player at the right time, so I do think the management team has shown very little by way of capability.

I also don't like Stroman's attitude. What obligation does management have to give him a contract extension, or coddle him when he's feeling cold? This guy has a millennial sense of entitlement and "look at me" all the time. It's frankly tiring. When he isn't pitching well he should be putting his tail between his legs and working hard to get back to where he needs to be. Instead, he's all about the sulking and that's aggravating more than refreshing because of how he does it in tweets and passive-aggressive means.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post: