Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-04-2017, 11:10 AM   #21
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stringer Bell in the Wire was shocking. Same with Lane in Mad Men.

Biggest shocking death to me though was Spock in Wrath if Khan. I was a kid at the time and didn’t see it coming.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:19 AM   #22
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would have to say Jay Thomas' Eddie Lebec write-off was one of the most memorable for me.

Walking Dead had a lot of shocking deaths early on with a lot of the main cast getting killed off early in those first few seasons. It really slowed quite a bit after that.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:21 AM   #23
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Ned Stark losing his head.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 12:57 PM   #24
Cuz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Optimus Prime in the Transformers movie (Animated). I was 5 at the time and it devastated me
Cuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:11 PM   #25
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Agree on this one. Ned was the main face of a lot of the marketing, and the obvious hero of the story. GRRM killing him off at the end of the first book/season was hugely shocking.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:31 PM   #26
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I remember watching this scene from L.A. Law.

I loved how you didn't see it coming. She was a pretty polarizing character on that show as I recall. Not everyone was sad to see her go.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 03:15 PM   #27
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Henry Blake on MASH.
Rita on Dexter crushed my soul.

Glenn on The Walking Dead not so much. We knew someone was getting it and almost everyone dies on that show.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #28
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuz View Post
Optimus Prime in the Transformers movie (Animated). I was 5 at the time and it devastated me
I have a friend who ranks this above his parents getting divorced as the most traumatic event of his childhood. He was about the same age (6 I think) when he saw it.

Cap nailed his top 5 in my opinion. Henry in MASH and Joyce in Buffy are the top two for me. "The Body", the episode that deals with Joyce's death, is the most emotionally resonant episode of TV ever for me.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #29
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Most of the Walking Dead and Game of Thrones deaths didn't surprise me at all, because I'd read the books before. Although I'll admit that they faked me out pretty good on the Glen one.

The one death in Walking Dead that did shock me was Sophia. Since she is alive and well in the comic to this day, I definitely did not see her being in that barn! A very well done and impactful death.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 07:16 PM   #30
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not picking from recently popular series:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I have a friend who ranks this above his parents getting divorced as the most traumatic event of his childhood. He was about the same age (6 I think) when he saw it.

Cap nailed his top 5 in my opinion. Henry in MASH and Joyce in Buffy are the top two for me. "The Body", the episode that deals with Joyce's death, is the most emotionally resonant episode of TV ever for me.
Coach

Maude Flanders
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
Seriously. There's nothing that compares. I mean, realistically, Jenny's death is the most savage, particularly given the way Giles finds her.

Spoiler!

But Joyce is far more shocking because it has nothing to do with anything supernatural and comes completely out of nowhere. Probably hundreds of people die in that series but because it's nonsense like getting eaten by demons there's a sense of screen slap. That one's just a gut punch and deliberately scripted to make it as non-TV-like as possible. And no music at all after the opening credits.

Spoiler!

Just brutal.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #32
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lawrence Kutner (Kal Penn) in House. He left the show suddenly to work for Obama and they had his character commit suicide.

It was actually one of the few interesting parts of the latter part of the show, especially because Kutner was often the most light-hearted and comedic of the group which can be a trait of people struggling with those types of demons.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:00 PM   #33
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also from ER, Dr. Green, I was gutted watching that episode.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #34
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
The end of Lem on The Shield.

Can't find the scene unaltered, but Amy Lee provides a nice backdrop in this compilation of the situation.

100% this. One of the best tv scenes I've ever seen.
Old 11-04-2017, 10:51 PM   #35
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
He was played by Sean Bean. What did you expect?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #36
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Seriously. There's nothing that compares. I mean, realistically, Jenny's death is the most savage, particularly given the way Giles finds her.

Spoiler!

But Joyce is far more shocking because it has nothing to do with anything supernatural and comes completely out of nowhere. Probably hundreds of people die in that series but because it's nonsense like getting eaten by demons there's a sense of screen slap. That one's just a gut punch and deliberately scripted to make it as non-TV-like as possible. And no music at all after the opening credits.

Spoiler!

Just brutal.
I had posted the Jenny death in Buffy under a different list. I think the term savage was appropriate, it was one of the most savage deaths that I've seen on TV to this day.

I was reading interviews with David Boreanaz, and he stated that he liked playing Angelus more then Angel because he was allowed to basically improve most of the dialog and he felt really free as that character. Amy Acker said it was tough and fun to work with him because no two takes were ever the same.

But I remember that episode where Jenny died and Angel left her corpse in Giles apartment, the whole thing was just jarring.

But Joyce death was really tough to watch even though we kind of knew it was coming. It was such a detail oriented episode, down to no back ground music, it just came across as raw, and Buffy was convinced that Glory had caused it only to learn that it was something that she couldn't control.

Like I said in the op I didn't even feel the impact until Anya got involved, I loved her character right down to her sarcastic nature and her fear of bunnies, but when she started asking those questions because she'd been immortal for so long that she didn't understand death, even though she had killed many. She was like a 5 year old facing death for the first time and not understanding it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 09:32 AM   #37
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been wracking my brain, but the Buffy deaths and Shield are hard to top. With so many fully planned, long haul series on the air right now, I'm a little surprised that there arn't more of these considering the huge potential impact.

Also, talking about Deadwood just made me more excited about the revival. That is one series, where no character will be safe in the final season.
Old 11-05-2017, 10:59 AM   #38
Guest1

-When the girl on Bridge to Teribithia died made me bawl my eyes out.
-Charlie from Lost gave up his own life
-When Tig's daughter got burned alive in SOA, I thought that was the most screwed up thing I've ever seen on TV.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2017, 11:00 AM   #39
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fight between Dan and The Captain from Deadwood is one of the most brutally violent fights and deaths in TV history.
Not shocking so much - but the sheer violence of it is something I remember I had a hard time shaking.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #40
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puxlut View Post
-When the girl on Bridge to Teribithia died made me bawl my eyes out.
-Charlie from Lost gave up his own life
-When Tig's daughter got burned alive in SOA, I thought that was the most screwed up thing I've ever seen on TV.

Good call on Tig's daughter. That was horrifying.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote