Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2016, 02:18 PM   #201
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Made sous vide eggs benedict for brunch today. I left the eggs in longer than I wanted to because I had to go out in the morning and things took longer than I wanted to..

Turned out amazing. I followed this: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-eggs-benedict

Old 12-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #202
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Wow

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #203
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Made sous vide eggs benedict for brunch today. I left the eggs in longer than I wanted to because I had to go out in the morning and things took longer than I wanted to..

Turned out amazing. I followed this: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities...-eggs-benedict
Damn that looks good (minus the ham...bleh). I made some poached eggs two days back and it came really good as well. Tonight going back to the chicken breast. Now that I'm eating out of this thing 2 or 3 times a week, how safe is sous vide-ing with respect to plastic bag cooking?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #204
kermitology

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
Damn that looks good (minus the ham...bleh). I made some poached eggs two days back and it came really good as well. Tonight going back to the chicken breast. Now that I'm eating out of this thing 2 or 3 times a week, how safe is sous vide-ing with respect to plastic bag cooking?

I don't think the temperatures are high enough for it to be a concern with leeching or anything like that. But I definitely wouldn't reuse the bags.

As for making the eggs and the hollandaise.. that couldn't be any easier. I've got two young kids, and I'll now swear by this method.
Old 12-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #205
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Threw a pork tenderloin in 90 minutes ago.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:33 AM   #206
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

The 24 hour turkey was a massive success. The best compliment came from my father, who said after taking his first bite "Well, I have to admit: I thought you were an idiot."

Legs/thighs were in for 14 hours at 165, while the breasts were in for 4 at 145. Not exactly how I would have configured it, but because we were eating at my parents' house we had to work around their schedule. I'm actually surprised the dark meat wasn't a total disaster at that time, but admittedly it was pretty much perfect.

I pan-seared to finish, and my only warning would be that it's real hard to get them dry, so for the first 5-10 seconds after it hits the oil it spits pretty intensely.
Russic is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2016, 10:13 AM   #207
kermitology

Exp:

I'm considering switching things up with chicken in particular and searing beforehand. I've had a devil of a time getting a decent sear on a piece of chicken after I've cooked it in the bath.

Unless I was to do it on a grill or something. I don't know.. I just can't seem to get something that looks decent.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #208
Flaming Choy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
The 24 hour turkey was a massive success. The best compliment came from my father, who said after taking his first bite "Well, I have to admit: I thought you were an idiot."

Legs/thighs were in for 14 hours at 165, while the breasts were in for 4 at 145. Not exactly how I would have configured it, but because we were eating at my parents' house we had to work around their schedule. I'm actually surprised the dark meat wasn't a total disaster at that time, but admittedly it was pretty much perfect.

I pan-seared to finish, and my only warning would be that it's real hard to get them dry, so for the first 5-10 seconds after it hits the oil it spits pretty intensely.
Did the same thing this weekend. Turned out pretty well. Slightly oversalted the turkey, but otherwise it worked well. I also removed the skin before hand and sandwiched them between cooking sheets to make crispy skin crackers. So good. Also pan seared and butter basted to finish. Will be doing turkey this way for a while now.
Flaming Choy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #209
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I'm considering switching things up with chicken in particular and searing beforehand. I've had a devil of a time getting a decent sear on a piece of chicken after I've cooked it in the bath.

Unless I was to do it on a grill or something. I don't know.. I just can't seem to get something that looks decent.
Don't sear before, it would be pointless. You would lose all the texture/crust that you are supposed to get from searing.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #210
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm trying to get the temp nailed for pan sear. Seems necessary to lowering a couple degrees to account far 1min per side in the skillet. I did a rib eye tonight at 126 for an hour that was delicious, but just a touch rarer than ideal. I have one more, will try at 127 and see how it goes.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:22 PM   #211
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm trying to get the temp nailed for pan sear. Seems necessary to lowering a couple degrees to account far 1min per side in the skillet. I did a rib eye tonight at 126 for an hour that was delicious, but just a touch rarer than ideal. I have one more, will try at 127 and see how it goes.
The other option is to get your pan hotter and the meat drier. 1 minute seams like a long time for a sear. I'm probably around half of that.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 PM   #212
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The other option is to get your pan hotter and the meat drier. 1 minute seams like a long time for a sear. I'm probably around half of that.
I tried less but I like a pretty good sear... almost Chicago. Pan won't get much hotter and to dry the meat more would I think involve just letting it sit. I might just end up getting a better torch. The dessert torch I have gives an awesome result but takes way too long.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 12-19-2016, 11:02 PM   #213
Smartcar
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is the best torch for searing:
https://www.amazon.ca/Iwatani-CB-TC-...2213636&sr=1-1

It attaches directly onto the butane fuel cans that cost $2 at the Asian food stores. A bit more $$ than the micro torches but way cheaper in the long run and much more power.
Smartcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 11:44 PM   #214
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartcar View Post
This is the best torch for searing:
https://www.amazon.ca/Iwatani-CB-TC-...2213636&sr=1-1

It attaches directly onto the butane fuel cans that cost $2 at the Asian food stores. A bit more $$ than the micro torches but way cheaper in the long run and much more power.
I guess you don't find that it inparts any gas flavor on the food? I got a searz all because I was told these types of torches do that. Maybe just a croc to get you to buy their fancy torch.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:55 AM   #215
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forget that one...this is the one I use. It's the bestest in the whole wide world.
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DionTheDman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 10:01 AM   #216
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Actually though? Because I could pretty easily pick that up this afternoon. But that ain't cheap, as torches go.
Old 12-20-2016, 10:18 AM   #217
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Forget that one...this is the one I use. It's the bestest in the whole wide world.
Rookies:

Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Titan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #218
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am joking of course. But what a rush it is to use a Tiger torch to light a campfire. It sounds like a jet engine. So much fun.
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:26 AM   #219
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
I bought the Searzall thinking it would be better heat distribution / faster because of the larger surface area but its not noticeably better and it's a lot more difficult to wield (top heavy with the skinny yellow bottles). Also, the allen screw holding it on the torch nozzle is not very big and it loosened off while I was crusting NY Strips on the week end. I'm just going back to the rig posted here.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:32 AM   #220
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The propane or MAP-Pro gas torches can produce a bit of a taste if used directly. Butane on the other hand is supposed to be odorless and flavorless.

Last edited by ZedMan; 12-20-2016 at 11:34 AM.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote