Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #61
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
yeah...that invitation just screamed white van with "Free Candy" spray painted on the side. he promised 97% synchronized, doesn't mean there aren't some big bombs in that remaining 3%.

They're not that big.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #62
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really?

I'm sorry if it did.

If you want a "pure" tv viewing experience then don't go in there.

Those 2 that you mention - if they are who I think you mean then - seriously?

But once again, I didn't mean to imply that everything was in sync, and I apologize if anyone took it that way.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 03:41 PM   #63
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

My take is Stanis is dead dead... Jon is only mostly dead... Miracle Max... errr I mean the Red Woman will resurrect the most dead Jon or try to like Thoros of Myr did. From there its anyone's guess.

I used to think the mind of Stephen King was messed up, GRRM has taken things to a new level.
underGRADFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 03:55 PM   #64
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Here's something we can all agree on:

The most cringe worthy scene in the entire episode and/or season...when Tyene leans into Bronn and whispers "you want a good girl, but you need the bad #####".
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #65
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Here's something we can all agree on:

The most cringe worthy scene in the entire episode and/or season...when Tyene leans into Bronn and whispers "you want a good girl, but you need the bad #####".
The only cringe was the one, in my pants.

(from my erection)
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 04:31 PM   #66
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was reading another analysis of the episode and it brought up an interesting point.

At the Wall, they burn the bodies of the dead to avoid any white walker resurrections. This would lead you to expect the burning of Jon Snow's body which could get interesting.

If the well known theory about his parents is true, and with the red women around, I could easily see some sort of fire resurrection.

The more I think about it, the less and less likely it is that Jon is dead dead.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 PM   #67
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
They're not that big.
I'm only 3/4 through the 4th book and there are some fairly significant plot points that haven't occurred in the TV series.

Relax not and fret still, my friends, there is still enough of the books already published that could possibly be used as spoilers for season 6.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for the episode itself, it felt super-rushed up until the atonement scene. They sure didn't mind dragging out a nude Lena Headey marching through the streets. Just a lot of stuff jammed into a single hour that I feel may have been better served stretched out or at least separated a bit.

I'm not sure if Jon lives or dies. Melissandre returning to the Wall abruptly leads you to believe it's a possibility, but her demeanor after returning screams 'I've lost faith'. Stannis' execution wasn't shown on screen, so that could go either way.

Gotta admit, as Jon was getting the full Caesar I was pretty pissed off. Pangs of "that's it, I'm done" coursed through me. He's one of only 2 characters I have any emotional investiture in (the other being Tyrion), so to see him slaughtered at the hands of his own men after defeating a Whitewalker in single combat was infuriating on a number of levels.

On a side note, and acknowledging that everyone is entitled to their opinion, I just don't understand how anyone, having not seen the entire series to its conclusion, can declare that any sub-story/plot is pointless or a waste of time. There is still a large portion of the narrative to go, and anything and everything that happens could have large repercussions going forward. Hell, Meryn Trant's murder is a direct result of his off-screen actions in the eighth episode of season 1.

Not the best episode of the series in my view, but it has me pretty-well hooked for the premier of season 6.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 06-15-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #68
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Was reading another analysis of the episode and it brought up an interesting point.

At the Wall, they burn the bodies of the dead to avoid any white walker resurrections. This would lead you to expect the burning of Jon Snow's body which could get interesting.

If the well known theory about his parents is true, and with the red women around, I could easily see some sort of fire resurrection.

The more I think about it, the less and less likely it is that Jon is dead dead.
Jon burning his hand on the lantern he threw at the wight to save Commander Mormont would indicate he isn't immune to fire in the vein of those special Targaryens.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-15-2015, 07:11 PM   #69
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Jon burning his hand on the lantern he threw at the wight to save Commander Mormont would indicate he isn't immune to fire in the vein of those special Targaryens.
Dany's brother also died when he got the gold "crown" poured over his head. He was a full Targaryen.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #70
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Dany's brother also died when he got the gold "crown" poured over his head. He was a full Targaryen.
Yep. I guess he could be of the Targaryen line, but not imbued with the same power as Dany.

Not buying into the theory, personally.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 06-15-2015, 07:21 PM   #71
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Yep. I guess he could be of the Targaryen line, but not imbued with the same power as Dany.

Not buying into the theory, personally.
Agree. I think Jon is dead, but will be resurrected as something evil.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:38 PM   #72
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what happened in the Arya scene? Who drank the poison and died? And why were Arya's eyes all weird??
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 07:42 PM   #73
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
So what happened in the Arya scene? Who drank the poison and died? And why were Arya's eyes all weird??
Everyone ... and no one.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #74
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whaaaaat???
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #75
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best part of the episode is when Reek pushed what's her face off the skywalk. Such a satisfying splat. And Arya blinding Trant before killing him... awesome.

I do think that Melissandre resurrects Jon Snow using blood magic. It's just way too convenient that she is there as Jon was assassinated. I am not sure that it will be Jon as we know him though. Although apparently the director was lamenting today how much they are going to miss having Kit Harington around for filming... I am hoping they are just playing it up though, especially how after last season the producers were upset when Kristian Nairn spilled the beans about the Brann story line being on hold. They like to keep their cards close.

Not sure if this needs to be in spoiler tags, probably not since I am going out on a limb, but just in case:

Spoiler!

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 06-15-2015 at 10:28 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #76
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Season was pretty poor in my opinion. Relying on cheap shocks now, mostly pretty telegraphed. Most plot lines dragged and became uninteresting too. Way too much useless filler as well. Huge drop in quality this season. I don't wanna say jumped the shark, but close.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:28 PM   #77
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find the complaints that people's story lines are wasted ignores the complexity of the world.

At a high level GoT is a relationship drama where Martin moves charactors around to put them together and watch them react. The hound and Arya, Brienne and her Squire, Sansa and Little finger etc. The events of the world cause the movements in charactors.

For example Stannis smoke baby used to kill his brother causes the Tyrells to have to ally with Lannisyers which moves old lady tyrel to kings landing setting up her amazing scenes. It also frees Brienne to become Catelyn Starks guard which allows Catelyn to set Jaimie free which partly leads to Robs death. It also sets up the great Brienne road trips.

And that smoke baby eventually is the final nail in Stannis.

So unless another plot device was used the Stannis smoke baby was necessary. I find Martin very efficient at using key events to move people where they need to be for the next series of events.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 PM   #78
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Season was pretty poor in my opinion. Relying on cheap shocks now, mostly pretty telegraphed. Most plot lines dragged and became uninteresting too. Way too much useless filler as well. Huge drop in quality this season. I don't wanna say jumped the shark, but close.
They concluded the first war in season 4, this season was a "shift all the pieces into place" series of episodes and next year will be the beginning of the second war with the white walkers.

This season was going to be not as good because it was all a transition from point A to point B.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2015, 10:39 PM   #79
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 PM   #80
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Instead of telegraphed you could say well foreshadowed. I thought Jon Snows death if he is really dead was handled very well.

Mereen was good

The sparrow was good.

The battle was the best yet.

Arya was great.

Drone was poor
Stannis was okay
Ramsey was poor

All in a good season.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote