Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2014, 12:33 PM   #141
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Pseudo-intellectual arrogance spotted?
Apologies, I wasn't under the impression that it required a PHD and peer-reviewed dissertation to come to the conclusion that the people most likely to assume that hard-work and a can-do attitude can solve all of lifes money woes are white, middle-class folk who had a pretty sweet starting point in the game of life.

Success has many varying degrees of luck involved, and while boot-strapping yourself out of the gutter can be done, 99.999% of people who achieve some form of success do so in part because of circumstantial luck and human kindness (which is not always acknowledged).

The universe is far more random than most would like to believe. Being born into a support system helps mitigate bad luck to a dizzying degree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-27-2014 at 12:36 PM.
PsYcNeT is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #142
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I'm still signed up for RentFaster alerts from when I was looking for the place we are in now. In the last few weeks I've seen a few properties come in cheaper than what I'm paying now. It does leave me with a "could-have, would-have, should-have" frame of mind. However I do have to keep in mind that the place I'm in was the best that was available at the time.

So is it possible rental prices have come down in recent months? Sure. That shouldn't make any difference to what I agreed to in the spring. I'd tell your tenants that you will be more than happy to look at their monthly rent again when the lease comes up for renewal. Doesn't mean you have to, just keep them from doing anything silly.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 12:46 PM   #143
The Ditch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
No.. But i am sure they could find a place for cheaper that is maybe a littler further out or not quite as nice.

What gives the tenant the right to try and demand a cheaper rent part way through their lease ? If they do not want to pay the rent they can leave after the lease is up.
he posted a couple of sentences purposely to make these people look bad I highly doubt that's how it went down and I also doubt that forums user "moustache ride" will actually provide an unbiased description of the events, I mean if you want to believe what he said as truth then good on you.
The Ditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 01:12 PM   #144
Knut

Exp:

^ Regardless of whether it happened or not, you are taking the position that he, and other landlords, are forcing people to be homeless.

I currently rent out a two-bedroom condo in Mission for $1800/Month Furnished. Are you saying that i should be giving people a break and put people in there for much cheaper than market value ? My renters are happy with the value they receive.

Would you consider this gouging or forcing people to the streets ? If they want to pay less there are tonnes of options further out from downtown.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 04:51 PM   #145
Swarly
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesla View Post
^ Regardless of whether it happened or not, you are taking the position that he, and other landlords, are forcing people to be homeless.

I currently rent out a two-bedroom condo in Mission for $1800/Month Furnished. Are you saying that i should be giving people a break and put people in there for much cheaper than market value ? My renters are happy with the value they receive.

Would you consider this gouging or forcing people to the streets ? If they want to pay less there are tonnes of options further out from downtown.
Depending on the size/condition of the place that sounds like one heck of a deal. Could raise rent by probably $400 and that still wouldn't be gouging, that would be fair market value.
Swarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 PM   #146
mustache ride
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Before I agree, care to share the terms of the lease?
It's 1750 per month and I let the lease roll over into a month to month. I could get more but they take care of the place well enough.
mustache ride is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mustache ride For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2014, 03:54 PM   #147
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Apologies, I wasn't under the impression that it required a PHD and peer-reviewed dissertation to come to the conclusion that the people most likely to assume that hard-work and a can-do attitude can solve all of lifes money woes are white, middle-class folk who had a pretty sweet starting point in the game of life.

Success has many varying degrees of luck involved, and while boot-strapping yourself out of the gutter can be done, 99.999% of people who achieve some form of success do so in part because of circumstantial luck and human kindness (which is not always acknowledged).

The universe is far more random than most would like to believe. Being born into a support system helps mitigate bad luck to a dizzying degree.
A peer reviewed dissertation would certainly help your argument, rather than making it up on the fly. I don't argue with your conclusion above; you are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I am arguing with your drive-by dismissal of the poster. He/she is equally entitled to his or her opinion.

Frankly, I agree with your opinion for the most part. However, as part of the gouging discussion, I don't think it is relevant. A person could own a rental by virtue of saving and scraping by with hard work, have daddy buy the place or use the award for winning the Nobel Prize to buy it, it doesn't matter. Any of those people can and should charge what they are able. They would then deal with the consequences of their own behaviour.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.

Last edited by Fighting Banana Slug; 10-28-2014 at 03:56 PM.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fighting Banana Slug For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #148
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustache ride View Post
It's 1750 per month and I let the lease roll over into a month to month. I could get more but they take care of the place well enough.
Beltline? 2 Bedrooms?
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:24 PM   #149
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Calgary is a mess, even if I wanted to move back it'd be tough to find a home where I grew up and I make good money in my profession. I don't know how low income folks are making it by.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #150
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
Calgary is a mess, even if I wanted to move back it'd be tough to find a home where I grew up and I make good money in my profession. I don't know how low income folks are making it by.
They live in a garage in the NE.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote