Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-05-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Arrow. Anyone watching this?

Only caught the first episode but it was pretty great for a tv series and for Green Arrow. It's on the 4th episode now.

I've always hated the character but the tv series is totally different from the comic.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm liking it so far
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #3
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After seeing some promos for Arrow on WB, i really wasn't expecting much, I mean they were also advertising Beauty and the Beast which looked completely ridiculous (wife tired watching it and she confirmed that it is awful)

But after watching every episode of Arrow, I'm very happy to say that Arrow is a really good show. Almost all of it has to do with the shows main character, actor Stephen Amell who i first saw in HBO's Hung, he was really funny in that show so again, before actually watching Arrow i wasn't too sure but he is great and the show is really good.

The other main reason the show works is because the hero kills.....yup, thats right, he doesn't preached about justice or that he isn't above the law, if your a bad guy then you're getting an arrow through the eye (that actually happened) plus the show hasn't yet gotten too predictable. While the writing come sometimes be a little cheesy (the one that aired this Saturday because of Halloween wasn't their best showing) you can just laugh it off and watch the Hood kick some ass.

I highly recommend this show if your looking for something to watch on Wednesdays or at the very least, record every episode on the PVR so you can watch it when your home sick or during the holidays when there isn't much on TV.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
normtwofinger
Self-Retirement

Exp:

Wife and I started watching it and we are hooked. I believe the writing could be a bit better, but it's an awesome premise.
normtwofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #5
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Writing was pretty bad last episode. I hope that improves, because I really do like most of this show.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was enjoying this show until they had the evil capitalist that had "faulty smoke alarms" in his property the killed multiple people. "there have been many fires". I get that people want to hate people who have more money than them but there is no way that an evil landowner is going to have people (I assume rent paying people) dying in his properties so he can save $20 on a smoke alarm. Eye roll and delete moment for me.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's ok, but it could so much better.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 01:43 PM   #8
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

The writing would have to get a lot worse before I'd walk away from Katie Cassidy . . .

I've liked the show though. I'm hanging in to see what happens to the evil mother.

Cowperson
Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Was enjoying this show until they had the evil capitalist that had "faulty smoke alarms" in his property the killed multiple people. "there have been many fires". I get that people want to hate people who have more money than them but there is no way that an evil landowner is going to have people (I assume rent paying people) dying in his properties so he can save $20 on a smoke alarm. Eye roll and delete moment for me.
You mean the evil capitalist ripping people off and them dying as a result is what broke your suspension of disbelief, not the super hero dressed like Robin Hood shooting people with arrows?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
You mean the evil capitalist ripping people off and them dying as a result is what broke your suspension of disbelief, not the super hero dressed like Robin Hood shooting people with arrows?
The evil capitalist wasn't ripping them off though, he was opening himself up to multiple lawsuits, criminal charges and insurance claims to save pennies on smoke alarms. That plot was weak, I have no problem with the fantasy angle of the show but they could do much better., lazy writing. They could have said he was renting illegal suites that didn't have any fire alarm and didn't have a fire escape route, then people died in a fire, at least that would be somewhat realistic.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 03:20 PM   #11
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's my guilty pleasure and I'm really enjoying it.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #12
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So far so good, I like how they tried to "TDK" up Green Arrow.

Oliver Queen has always been a very interesting character.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So far so good, I like how they tried to "TDK" up Green Arrow.

Oliver Queen has always been a very interesting character.
You just like green!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to To Be Quite Honest For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 05:59 PM   #14
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

I am really enjoying this - one of the bigger surprises of the new TV year.

It's the CW, so it's hardly a model of sophisticated writing. But it's well-paced with attractive leads, and the fight sequences are pretty good. Definitely worth watching for those that like popcorn action tv/movies.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
fatso is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 06:05 PM   #15
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Just had this recommended by a buddy today, gonna check out the pilot and see how it goes.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:08 PM   #16
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a fun show.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:51 PM   #17
c.t.ner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Of the two shows that I make a note of watching each week, this is one of them and the walking dead is the other.

Sure, it's not up to par with Breaking Bad and the Walking Dead in dialogue, but it's a really impressive show, especially coming from the CW. The fight scenes are really solid and they've done a really good job on developing the back story. It's not going to win any emmys, but it's a great show and a surprising amount of depth.
c.t.ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #18
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Last weeks episode was almost unbearable. I honestly do like the show and i expected this from time to time but it finally felt like a CW show that my girlfriend was making me watch. There is no danger of me giving up or anything but I really hope they pick it up this week.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #19
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That guy's in good shape.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:32 PM   #20
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goon View Post
That guy's in good shape.
He is like a roided-up Canadian Chris O'Donell.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote