Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2011, 12:58 PM   #21
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hey so this is Calgary Sun TV? why would anyone in the world want to watch this?

Hopefully Eric Francis will only appear here now instead of CBC.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched a couple of hours of SunTV tonight. It wasn't too bad. It's gives you a perspective the other networks are scared to talk about. People with more right-leaning ideals will obvious enjoy it more then left-leaning individuals. The people on the left have the CBC for their left-leaning news.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #23
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Blah, Ezra Levant is one of the most annoying people on TV (On CTV at anyrate) after a while every time I saw him on CTV I'd just hit mute and save myself a headache... all the guy did was interrupt other people while they talked and if the person eventually refused to let him barg into the conversation and try to finish talking he'd just start shouting and drowning them out. I don't know how the people he must deal with everyday resist the urge to break his nose.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:53 AM   #24
NBC
Account closed at user's request.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'll check it out because of mercedes Stephenson

She's no Marcia McMillen but damn
Oh dear.

I have not met a bigger and more shameless self-promoter. I don't think there is anything genuine about her, including her credentials. Not sure how someone with an undergraduate degree and a previous job as a tv personality can pass themselves off as an analyst of any type.

Oh and the look is about 5lbs of make-up and hair extensions. Yuk.
NBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:19 AM   #25
SeeBass
First Line Centre

Exp:

Some of the stumbling and other mistakes makes me think I am watching CKX Brandon when I was a little kid.
SeeBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Krista Erickson Interview Of Margie Gillis On Sun News TV Nets Record Complaints
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/06..._n_886678.html

Canadian Broadcast Standards Council national chairman Ron Cohen says his organization has received more than 4,100 complaints about a June 1 interview between host Krista Erickson and Quebec-born dancer Margie Gillis.

The council typically receives about 2,000 complaints in an entire year.

During the interview in question, Erickson quizzed Gillis about whether it was appropriate that she receive government grants to support her dance work.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 AM   #27
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Ezra is like a clown playing a role and he knows exactly what he's doing. But I don't find him interesting or even have any sort of respect for his opinion considering how ridiculous he is. The channel seems to be over sensationalized and boring IMO. Not something I would watch for factual news or intelligent discussion.
I was told by an insider last week that Ezra gets paid $10K + per speaking engagement.
Old 06-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #28
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Krista Erickson Interview Of Margie Gillis On Sun News TV Nets Record Complaints
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/06..._n_886678.html

Canadian Broadcast Standards Council national chairman Ron Cohen says his organization has received more than 4,100 complaints about a June 1 interview between host Krista Erickson and Quebec-born dancer Margie Gillis.

The council typically receives about 2,000 complaints in an entire year.

During the interview in question, Erickson quizzed Gillis about whether it was appropriate that she receive government grants to support her dance work.
I can't watch the video right now, what is the issue that is generating all the complaints?
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #29
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
I can't watch the video right now, what is the issue that is generating all the complaints?
Basically the interview is a Canadian equivalent of a typical Fox news style Bill O'Reilly interview with someone he disagrees with. Krista Erickson initially raised valid points in her questioning of Gillis with regards to the government grants recieved, but proceeded to berate her to death about how little she thinks of 'interpretive dance' and how illigitimate she thinks the government funding provided for it. It was pretty much a set-up attack Fox news style to make a point. Completely offside as far coming from a network that calls itself a 'news network,' but then again probably not deserving of sensorship or the 'outrage' from artists it generated.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #30
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Basically the interview is a Canadian equivalent of a typical Fox news style Bill O'Reilly interview with someone he disagrees with. Krista Erickson initially raised valid points in her questioning of Gillis with regards to the government grants recieved, but proceeded to berate her to death about how little she thinks of 'interpretive dance' and how illigitimate she thinks the government funding provided for it. It was pretty much a set-up attack Fox news style to make a point. Completely offside as far coming from a network that calls itself a 'news network,' but then again probably not deserving of sensorship or the 'outrage' from artists it generated.
personally i don't care what the issue is, anyone who takes a Fox style approach to "news" should be lambasted. we don't need that kind of garbage up here
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:12 PM   #31
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Great points in the interview - drilling an entitled freeloader who's lived off the public purse her whole life - and terrible technique that left the interviewer, unbelievably, as the bad guy.

That's the Readers Digest version.

Cowperson
Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 AM   #32
HOZ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What a God-Awful interview. Especially considering that the "topic" was great. Gillis is the typical "entitlement" parasite that thinks they have the "right" to suck a fantastic living off of others.
HOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #33
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowperson View Post
Great points in the interview - drilling an entitled freeloader who's lived off the public purse her whole life - and terrible technique that left the interviewer, unbelievably, as the bad guy.

That's the Readers Digest version.

Cowperson
Well if you're going to go after someone, it should be the person handing out the money. I don't think many are going to turn down free grants.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:23 AM   #34
Calgaryborn
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Well if you're going to go after someone, it should be the person handing out the money. I don't think many are going to turn down free grants.
She was being interviewed as a spokesman for government funding so I have no problem with the field of questioning.

The reporter just didn't do a good job. She got repetitive. Just growing pains for the new network. Krista will either improve or be replaced.

The Sun news network does pose a challenge to the CBC and other traditional news outlets. I think it is healthy. Questions are being asked that the more politically left news outlets avoid.
Calgaryborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:42 PM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Sun News Network Viewership Lags On First Anniversary, Controversies Continue

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/04...tml?ref=canada

CBC News Network drew 1.4 per cent of viewers, U.S. news network CNN took 0.9 per cent, CTV News Channel attracted 0.8 per cent and Sun News brought in 0.1 per cent.

But why is Sun News, once dubbed "Fox News North" bringing up the rear? A look at the core audience it strives to attract might offer part of the answer.

"There is always in every audience, whether it's in the U.S., Canada or any other country, a core of older white males who are chronically pissed off. That's who Fox News appeals to and I assume that Sun Media was looking to tap into that as well,” said Dvorkin.

"But we may not have that same demographic journalistically and in broadcasting terms in Canada as in the United States. I guess we're just not that angry."

Last edited by troutman; 04-18-2012 at 12:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #36
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

be very very careful what you write on the internet about this fella.

trust me on this.....
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #37
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

It just leaves me desperately wanting something better than Ezra.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
It just leaves me desperately wanting something better than Ezra.
i came in here to make a similar observation.......
Northendzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:19 PM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Norm MacDonald :

“Today, Better Than Ezra reached number one on the Billboard Top 100. Number two: Ezra.”
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #40
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know about other cities or carriers but being on channel 177 in Calgary (Shaw) does not help.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote