Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2019, 07:33 AM   #101
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Hes getting up there hopefully we keep him as long as Jarome
Well, maybe not quite as long as Jarome. Would be nice to get a good return on an asset for the future instead of a bag of magic beans
(I know what you mean't though, it just had to be said).
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:25 AM   #102
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
When did Iggy win MVP? division title and western title don't mean much to me.

Scoring title I will give you but JG will likely pass Iggy's single season high this year.

All this being said they are both in my top 3

He won the Pearson which is the MVP voted by the players, and that's the one that counts.

Johnny needs longevity with this club to be considered one of the greats. Flames have had some incredible players make stops here i.e.: Brett Hull, but that doesn't make Brett Hull one of the greatest Flames. Both Johnny's and Brett's body of work with the Flames so far do not put them near the greats.

We probably just have different definition of a Flames great, hence the disagreement.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2019, 08:28 AM   #103
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
When did Iggy win MVP? division title and western title don't mean much to me.

Scoring title I will give you but JG will likely pass Iggy's single season high this year.

All this being said they are both in my top 3
Pearson aside Iggy won the MVP in 2002, similar to how the Flames won the Cup in 2004. Robbery doesn't count.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #104
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
I'm old enough to have watched the entire careers of Theo and Iginla, and Johnny isn't there yet. If you were around to watch what those two did in their prime, you would know that what they did was equally if not greater that what Johnny is doing now.

Theo was unreal in a time where the little guys didn't have a chance. It just didn't make sense that he was able to survive out there, nevermind dominate the game and put up the points he did.

Iggy in his prime owned the game. Sure his point totals where lower for an MVP, but he put up the points in 03 while dragging around guys like Pronger and Hatcher on his back. Iggy was a one man wrecking ball and did it without anyone to support him.

I want to put Johnny up there behind them, but right now he's in the mix with Roberts, Nieuwy, Mullen and Lanny. They all were amazing, but played on a stacked team and didn't have the length of GP with the Flames. Right now I think we all need to hope Johnny stays long term and then we can anoint him up with Iggy and Theo.
Gaudreau=Makarov They are both so similar. I thought Makarov had the better shot but in the past 3 months Johnny has upped his game.

Also Roberts will never be in the mix. He was an awesome plugger. He won't be in the top 25 of most talented Flames ever.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #105
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Okay people......... Backlund? I had to re-read those posts to figure out if people were joking.

And then Huselius as one of the top 3 most talented in franchise history? What?

Jesus. Anyway, but what this thread does reveal, again, quite clearly and as has been mentioned so many times in the past- is that it’s a disgrace to the Flames franchise to not have properly retired Fleury.
The #1 reason that Fleury's number hasn't be retired is Fleury.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #106
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The #1 reason that Fleury's number hasn't be retired is Fleury.

Expand on this.

Was it his substance abuse while playing? Did he disparage the club? I know he loves to self aggrandize, but that's not a reason to not retire a deserving jersey.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #107
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Expand on this.

Was it his substance abuse while playing? Did he disparage the club? I know he loves to self aggrandize, but that's not a reason to not retire a deserving jersey.
My view is that it likely has to do with him disparaging the club.
Which he hasn't done lately so perhaps it will happen soon
This year is Iginla though.
So perhaps next year
I imagine when it happens it won't be a retirement but rather a Forever a Flame.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:47 AM   #108
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Considering Johnny is only 4 1/2 seasons into his NHL career, I think it goes without saying the actual title of this thread should be, Where WILL Gaudreau rank among all time Flames forwards?
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #109
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather they just not retire jerseys at all than Forever a Flame people.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote