Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2019, 02:35 PM   #281
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
Great Post!!! This is one of the many reasons that CP is awesome. Good knowledge based and diversity leading to good discussion!!!

Based on the article you provided, it looks like whenever the puck is in the faceoff circle, you should not be using the move. Minor adjustment, but let's keep in mind that the 3 goals scored yesterday that beat Rittich, were shot into an opening no bigger than 4" x 4". These are pretty close to perfect shots.
On second look, there's a few more things that add some layers to this:
  • Rittich is on the PK, difficult to challenge in that situation
  • Two forecheckers standing right in front of him. He shouldn't be hedging his bets like that and should trust his dmen, but it's tough
  • Saad is very far away and it likely looked from Rittich's POV that dman wouldn't allow the shot through so he's getting set early for when Saad skates behind the net

Anyways, goalie-ing is weird. Arguments and counter-arguments to every situation. Make a teeny tiny mistake and the worst can happen. Even if he stayed up in that situation and challenged the shot, the whole play unfolds differently and maybe that winds up a goal too.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #282
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
With Czarnik staring three straight and being somewhat noticeable has he turned the corner and in the lineup to stay? Seemed to have some chemistry with Ryan on the fourth line and didn't look out of place on the second line for a stint.
He’s been visually a lot better. Still isn’t producing though. I’m torn on him. He has the skill where he could explode, but he just isn’t getting it done. Reminds me a bit of St. Louis when he was here. Small, skilled guy that just doesn’t produce. I haven’t liked Czarnik for most of the year but I will acknowledge that hockey is such a confidence game. Wouldn’t surprise me if he ever gains confidence that he could start producing more regularly.
Flames Draft Watcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:39 PM   #283
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
On second look, there's a few more things that add some layers to this:
  • Rittich is on the PK, difficult to challenge in that situation
  • Two forecheckers standing right in front of him. He shouldn't be hedging his bets like that and should trust his dmen, but it's tough
  • Saad is very far away and it likely looked from Rittich's POV that dman wouldn't allow the shot through so he's getting set early for when Saad skates behind the net

Anyways, goalie-ing is weird. Arguments and counter-arguments to every situation. Make a teeny tiny mistake and the worst can happen. Even if he stayed up in that situation and challenged the shot, the whole play unfolds differently and maybe that winds up a goal too.
Thanks for posting this.

To me, Kane’s timing was perfect. Rittich moves in to RVH as Kane is coming in to the spot where it is probably the correct selection, and if he comes any closer, Rittich can use his glove for the vertical angle.

With Saad, you’re right, looks like not a great selection given distance/timing and location.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #284
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I did my part!

Last edited by AC; 01-08-2019 at 03:55 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 07:06 PM   #285
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Excellent. Please help me understand what you have noticed about the latest changes and their impact on five hole as more vulnerable.

Pad height rule change was 2011. Pants Feb 2017. Chest protectors this year.

I am so interested. Maybe point out some specific goalies and feel free to grab some YouTube highlights. You are on to something very interesting.
OK, goodbye all. Deleting my account now. You win, I'm an idiot.

But for some reason or other, goalies do seem to me to be giving up more on the five-hole this year.

Last edited by Jay Random; 01-08-2019 at 07:10 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 01-08-2019, 08:24 PM   #286
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Yeah I'm not too worried about the Kane goal, but the Saad goal seems to be caused by going into reverse VH when he's too high in the zone. Found this article that explains it pretty well:

https://ingoalmag.com/technique/reve...per-execution/
Quote:
HABITUAL USAGE OF REVERSE-VH
The next main issue is when reverse-VH becomes a “resting position” for a goaltender. It is important to remember that reverse-VH is a very active position, not a position to become frozen or locked into.

Goalies have to recognize when the puck is carried too high in the zone, then they become susceptible to getting beat over the shoulder. Coaches that are critical of reverse-VH usually point to this as a flaw in the technique, but it is mainly caused by goalies that are unaware that the puck is too high in the zone – or just plain lazy.

Every play on the ice is situational, but as a general rule of thumb, here is a visual example of when to be in the reverse-VH position and when to transition out of it

Kane's goal is from directly inside the blue zone, but Saad's was from well outside.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote