Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #41
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
I don't know about other cities or carriers but being on channel 177 in Calgary (Shaw) does not help.
I helps me to avoid that drivel.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:36 PM   #42
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I helps me to avoid that drivel.
Unfortunately it's harder for me to avoid the CBC drivel.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #43
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really want to enjoy Sun News Network, but the poor quality of the programming makes it hard to do so. I feel like I'm watching Shaw Cable news.

Here's a really detailed analysis of the network on its first anniversary. It's LONG, but it is comprehensive.

http://bit.ly/HSmFGM
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #44
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy_eoj View Post
Heres at least one good reason to watch!!

http://www.torontosun.com/sunshinegirl/#next
nm - quoted a post over a year old.

Last edited by Barnet Flame; 04-20-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:31 AM   #45
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
be very very careful what you write on the internet about this fella.

trust me on this.....

Yes. Yes, I would.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM   #46
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post

Yes. Yes, I would.
Run a court search for Eva Levant.

I have said too much already.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #47
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know I am in the extreme minority but I find Ezra Levant entertaining, in a good way.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:33 PM   #48
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I asked in the funnhy pictures thread, but it's probably more apt here.

I wonder how Sun TV is doing. About 3 or 4 months in, they were bragging almost daily in their paper about how it was going well, and were posting (stupidly misleading) polls and data showing how they were taking canada by storm and it was only a matter of time before they were the most watched news channel in Canada.

Now you never hear a peep from them about it, and I don't know about Telus and Bell, but on Shaw there isn't even an HD feed. Me and most people I know don't even bother watching non-HD channels anymore.

Anyone know what's up?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #49
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'll check it out because of mercedes Stephenson

She's no Marcia McMillen but damn
Damn indeed!

Old 12-27-2012, 07:50 PM   #50
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Damn indeed!

And she's now on CTV Newsnet. Probably the same thing as with Andrea Slobodian, who went from being a morning anchor @ Sun News to being a late night anchor on local TV in Winnipeg. I imagine Sun News is like the Score, pay nothing and then lose all their on air talent except for the 'lifers'.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #51
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 AM   #52
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
I asked in the funnhy pictures thread, but it's probably more apt here.

I wonder how Sun TV is doing. About 3 or 4 months in, they were bragging almost daily in their paper about how it was going well, and were posting (stupidly misleading) polls and data showing how they were taking canada by storm and it was only a matter of time before they were the most watched news channel in Canada.

Now you never hear a peep from them about it, and I don't know about Telus and Bell, but on Shaw there isn't even an HD feed. Me and most people I know don't even bother watching non-HD channels anymore.

Anyone know what's up?
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle5215962/

In the ratings last month they were getting a .1 rating. CBC New Network gets a 1.4 and CTV News Channel gets a .8.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:46 AM   #53
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle5215962/

In the ratings last month they were getting a .1 rating. CBC New Network gets a 1.4 and CTV News Channel gets a .8.
But, isn’t Sun News anti-mandatory on everything? Watching Sun News doesn’t bring many surprises; you’re more likely to get variations on a theme watching the Fireplace Channel. So, mere minutes spent watching its continuing hilarity confirm that it’s against folks being obliged to do anything they don’t wanna do. Like, you’d think, pay for a TV channel they don’t want to watch. On the day Sun News went on the air, Levant declared, “We’re talking about truth and freedom. If you love freedom like I do, it’s a pretty happy day.” Well, sunshine, “freedom,” also means freedom from not having to pay for your channel.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #54
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Say what you want about Sun TV, but they sure got it right with Chief Spence and her spending.

I think Sun TV invites much of their criticism, but they do swing for the fences and occasionally make contact.

Im on Telus so i dont get access to the channel unless online, but id pay to have access. I actually enjoy the variety of perspectives that different news providers provide.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:03 AM   #55
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Say what you want about Sun TV, but they sure got it right with Chief Spence and her spending.

I think Sun TV invites much of their criticism, but they do swing for the fences and occasionally make contact.

Im on Telus so i dont get access to the channel unless online, but id pay to have access. I actually enjoy the variety of perspectives that different news providers provide.
They got it right, but distorted the facts. That's the issue with the Sun; the question isn't who can read the documents and tell everyone what it says, the question is are they providing the information in a balanced way so that people can form their own opinions?

Pundits like Ezra Levant bandied about figures from the reserve and gave a completely different spin than what was actually going on. Issues like the $9M stock portfolio that he ranted and railed against. Its a travesty alright...because its only $9M. That money amounts to nearly nothing for a town.

Then he talks about the "profits" the reserve shows for last year and makes it sound like this is all totally unnecessary help from the federal government. Here we have a classic issue of taking the accounting value of properties and assets and saying that is the same as a cash flow surplus. Would he recommend that they simply peel off some siding or eavestroughing from a building to cover things? Its ridiculous.

Lastly, and probably most important is we should absolve the federal government here either. They've sent our tax dollars to these reserves for decades and both helped create this mess and have done nothing to actually resolve any of the difficulties. How many years have we known of these kinds of concerns? How many millions have been sent to line the pockets of chiefs and their relatives will others live in abject poverty? It's not entirely a problem creates by and on the reserves...but you sure don't hear that from Sun media. Maybe if we had a Liberal government you would, but they won't criticize the CPC.

Lest anyone thinks I am letting the reserves off the hook here, I do think that there are obvious improprieties or at least what appear to be improprieties. The thing is that the issues that Levant pointed to before the release of the audit and the results of that audit are markedly different. So to suggest that he somehow had this pegged from the start is a little misleading; he was right, but not in the way he was expecting or on the actual points he was pontificating about.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote