Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2022, 06:14 PM   #1
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:
Default The Future of Streaming Services

We have a bunch of threads to discuss content but given the recent news, I thought it might be worth a thread to discuss how all streaming services are going to ####. And fast.

Quote:
Netflix adds “extra home” fee, will block usage in other homes if you don’t pay.
https://arstechnica.com/information-...xtra-home-fee/

Quote:
Netflix Aims to Launch Cheaper, Ad-Supported Plan in Early 2023
https://variety.com/2022/digital/new...ch-1235320040/

Quote:
Disney+ With Ads Sets U.S. Launch Date & Pricing, Fee Hike For Premium Service
https://deadline.com/2022/08/disneyp...pn-1235089168/

So how long until pirating becomes the hands down best option again? Or are we already past the breaking point?

I only have Netflix and Prime because of password sharing. When that ends, I won’t care. I have a 1 year plan with Disney but won’t renew if it keeps going up. Crave is included with my cable and it has by far the best content so I’m fine keepin it. For now.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 06:19 PM   #2
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was predictable that streaming would get ruined. Now to get some shows you need certain bundles or to pay for extra channels, soon cable companies will offer bundles of multiple streaming services for way too much money, and it'll just be like paying the ol' cable bill again.

Then it'll be back to pirating I go
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:39 PM   #3
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Yep, predicted this years ago. They weren't going to let us pay less than cable for long.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:46 PM   #4
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If only there was a streaming service that had the content all the other streaming services plus endless movies for a fraction of the price of just Netflix alone.

Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 08:55 PM   #5
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
If only there was a streaming service that had the content all the other streaming services plus endless movies for a fraction of the price of just Netflix alone.

Are you referring to an actual option?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:01 PM   #6
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking as someone in the US, and no idea what the Canadian landscape looks like...

So far the bundling is not egregious at all. If Disney wants to bundle espn with their Disney plus at a discount, I have no issue with that. It's still all their content and I can choose to business with them at their price or not.

Cable got egregious when I had to buy an $80 bundle plus $15 per set top box and a bunch of other ridiculous fees to watch a couple channels and the baseball team I cared about. Or on the other hand, the poor people who had to pay that same $100+ to watch a few junky reality shows when $50 of those dollars went to sports cable shows they never watched.

Cheaper ad supported options are not really a bad thing for anyone. And if you'll stop subscribing because you can't use someone elses password, well, I guess you weren't paying anyway?

So far the streamers are having to be competitive and as long as the content owners keep competing and don't collude, it is a far, far better environment for the consumer than cable was.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:19 PM   #7
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Are you referring to an actual option?
Yes
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:27 PM   #8
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

And what would that be...?
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:29 PM   #9
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have started a new thread about cord cutting and accessing Flames games. I am about to finally get out of an internet+TV contract and I don't think I will get TV package from the cable company anymore.

Can anyone help me?

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=189127
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:52 PM   #10
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
And what would that be...?
Probably just referring to illegal streaming which isn't really a viable or desirable option for the vast majority of TV/movie watching households.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 10:38 PM   #11
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Well a little quick math here.

Telus internet and Cable Bundle: $162/month, includes Netflix and Crave, and a Sportsnet Package - $1944.00 for the year.

My Telus internet is $55 a month - not sure what others are paying.
Netflix Sub - Standard - $16.49/month - $197.99 / year
Prime - $99.00/year
Crave - $200.00/year
Disney - $120.00/year
S-Now Premium (Jays + Mostly every Flames game for someone in Vancouver) - $250.00/year
DAZN(NFL Games) - $200/year
Fubo (EPL + other domestic leagues) - $200.00/year
total = $1925.00/year

The Telus bundle package likely doesn't get me any EPL games, or all NFL games either, Disney plus etc.

Still makes more sense to go without any cable package IMO.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:52 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

For me with Telus

$104/mth

-internet
-medium TV, including all sports that I need between TSN and Sportsnet
- Crave/HBO for duration of contract
- $20 netflix separate

Just guessing based on shopping awhile ago so others can correct my numbers on the alternative for what I need.

- internet $60/mth?
- sportsnet GO with ****ty as **** lag that would probably have me skipping out on games that I used to watch $30/mth?
- crave HBO $20/mth
- netflix $20/mth
- F1 and CFL on TSN $20/mth
- PGA streaming $10/mth

So it looks like about $160/mth with cord cutting vs $124/mth with Telus plus netflix sub to have internet, netflix, HBO/crave plus be able to watch Flames/playoff hockey/F1/golf/CFL/blue jays/raptors.

Maybe the devide in cord cutting vs cable is sports? Seems to me if you follow a lot of major sports than you're either going illegal (which really shouldn't factor into a cost analysis discussion) or your costs go waaaay up. If you just watch TV shows and movies than it seems you can come in under cable budget by cutting the cord. Although even that doesn't seem like huge savings with that Telus $104 deal with HBO/crave.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-10-2022 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:58 PM   #13
jayswin

Exp:

If internet, Crave/HBO and netflix are $100 on their own without a cable package, that only leaves $24 for anything else you want or need and you haven't even touched sports yet.

Last edited by jayswin; 08-10-2022 at 11:00 PM.
Old 08-11-2022, 12:54 AM   #14
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's insane. In Australia for example Star Trek shows are split across Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount. Also I feel for soccer fans here. If you want to follow the top European leagues, the Champions League, and the local A-league you will require 4 different streaming services.
Old 08-11-2022, 06:20 AM   #15
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
If internet, Crave/HBO and netflix are $100 on their own without a cable package, that only leaves $24 for anything else you want or need and you haven't even touched sports yet.
To save money you could just have Crave and Prime you will get nearly every major movie home release and most of the top television series. I find I use Netflix the least out of all the services now and may just pull the pin now that Stranger Things is done for a while.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 07:27 AM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
It's insane. In Australia for example Star Trek shows are split across Netflix, Amazon, and Paramount. Also I feel for soccer fans here. If you want to follow the top European leagues, the Champions League, and the local A-league you will require 4 different streaming services.
That's kind of the position for fans here. For me to follow a club this year, I need Fubo for the regular Premier League, DAZN for Champions League or Europa League and then Sportsnet for FA Cup. We do get some overlap with Fubo because you can watch Canadian Premier League there as well, but it's annoying, pretty fast. Sportsnet for the FA Cup is also a shot in the dark, in the sense that some games are on and some aren't (or maybe across different channels or streams with Sportsnet). As the competition moves along, the games are all there though.

Anyway...streaming is kind of annoying and probably saves $0 if you're staying above board.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #17
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The way things are going, it is simply unsustainable to have all these streaming services. It’s basically cable all over again, I’m paying for tons of crap I don’t use but can’t cut a bunch of them because of the one or two things in each that I DO watch.

I picked up an NVIDIA Shield TV Pro a few weeks ago; great little unit, it handled a 4K HDR Dolby Atmos-encoded MKV I threw at it with no problems. Time to pick out a nice big storage drive for it.
TorqueDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 08:43 AM   #18
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I get the sentiment that you if you have a whole bunch of these things together, then it’s basically the same as cable, but that still ignores the fact that you don’t actually need all of these things together.

Cord cutting (legally) has always centered around paying for what you want, and not what you don’t. It was the ability to avoid paying for “everything” with cable when you only wanted a few things. But if you want everything… then you end up paying for everything again.

Any one of Netflix, Disney+, Crave, or even (well, maybe not) Prime contains enough content to entertain someone on it’s own. You just have to give up something you might have liked to watch by not having them all. But that’s no different than giving up cable.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2022, 08:47 AM   #19
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Glad that other's are feeling this way. I just got the email from Disney about their add free service and the price hike.

It did seem like we were getting way to good of content for way to cheap. But it makes sense, typical business model, bring them in for cheap then once we are hooked raise the prices.

Right now I've got a lot of streaming services, Netflix, Disney+, Amazon Prime, Paramount+, Crave (HBO) and we flip flop a Nickelodeon package for the kids.

On top of that we are always swapping the channel package through Amazon Prime on and off I forget what it is called, for shows like Survivor.

Then when hockey season starts I'll have Sportsnet NOW.

I can't see Disney+ or Amazon Prime going away. We don't watch a ton of shows on Prime but really enjoy the quick free shipping, the show content that comes along seems just like a nice bonus. Disney+ has all my favourite shows. Paramount+ I can toggle for South Park content, that's all I really watch.

Crave has the new ASOFAI show coming so that will stay. Oh and AppleTV will be back on as well once the new Ted Lasso season starts... lol

It is also super annoying trying to keep track of what you have, where you have it, and when to cancel or renew for a show. But I really don't know what else to do.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #20
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I get the sentiment that you if you have a whole bunch of these things together, then it’s basically the same as cable, but that still ignores the fact that you don’t actually need all of these things together.

Cord cutting (legally) has always centered around paying for what you want, and not what you don’t. It was the ability to avoid paying for “everything” with cable when you only wanted a few things. But if you want everything… then you end up paying for everything again.

Any one of Netflix, Disney+, Crave, or even (well, maybe not) Prime contains enough content to entertain someone on it’s own. You just have to give up something you might have liked to watch by not having them all. But that’s no different than giving up cable.
Agreed. We have a lot more control in who we choose to do business with. If Disney wants to increase their price, then I get to make the decision if I think it is worth it or not.

It's a much better situation than Cable where if I want to watch my local baseball team, I need to pay for all the expensive cable channels I don't watch like Disney/Fox News/Turner channels/ESPN/etc. and all their behind the scenes price increases that get passed to me.

There is a lot more market pressure on prices for the streaming services, as they are a lot easier to quit than cable.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote