Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2022, 10:53 AM   #61
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Mike Fisher is a moron, and has been for a long time. The only difference now is he is saying the quiet parts out loud, like most of his religiously-motivated nutjob cohorts.

I would disagree with this. I have all my shots, behaved myself during the pandemic, and think the anti-vaxxer/freedumb/QAnoner-types are malignantly stupid. But the last two-and-a-bit years have really made me re-evaluate friendships and familial relationships. It's made me rethink what I spend my time doing, who I spend that time with, and what we talk about.

Say I'm sitting in a pub with some friends... do I want to talk politics, whether or not I agree with theirs? Yeah, the UCP is a goddamned dumpster fire, the Federal Liberals are an unaccountable mess and the only party seemingly capable of challenging them are... well, malignantly stupid.

But we're all friends and we're together; we could talk about anything. Surely we can find something more fun, entertaining, and less depressing to talk about than f--king politics?
But what if I'm really interested in the secret Lizard-man plot drilling for Oil on the Moon?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:56 AM   #62
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Mike Fisher is a moron, and has been for a long time. The only difference now is he is saying the quiet parts out loud, like most of his religiously-motivated nutjob cohorts.

I would disagree with this. I have all my shots, behaved myself during the pandemic, and think the anti-vaxxer/freedumb/QAnoner-types are malignantly stupid. But the last two-and-a-bit years have really made me re-evaluate friendships and familial relationships. It's made me rethink what I spend my time doing, who I spend that time with, and what we talk about.

Say I'm sitting in a pub with some friends... do I want to talk politics, whether or not I agree with theirs? Yeah, the UCP is a goddamned dumpster fire, the Federal Liberals are an unaccountable mess and the only party seemingly capable of challenging them are... well, malignantly stupid.

But we're all friends and we're together; we could talk about anything. Surely we can find something more fun, entertaining, and less depressing to talk about than f--king politics?
My dad had a stroke few months ago. It was scary, but he lived and was relatively unscathed.

There were obviously the exiting physical health conditions that led to it, but I think his daily consumption of outrage politics had a big part to play too. Always angry at someone or something and we'd always argue about stupid ass ####.

I am in the same boat as you - life is too short to (at best) waste time with politics or (at worst) have it adversely affect your health. I hate the pandemic for so many different reasons.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 10:57 AM   #63
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Remember the days when you used to talk about each others accomplishments like yard/house projects, future goals, cars, reminisce about previous times you spent together, have a laugh, watch a hockey game? Now it's all just complaints about how "screwed we are" and politics, yet if you really look at it, most people have never had it better.

A good amount of people are really lacking some perspective these days.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:58 AM   #64
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We hosted a BBQ last weekend and told the people we invited that political talk would be unwelcome. With people having strong opinions and living in different media realities, it’s pretty much impossible to have a useful discussion across political-cultural lines these days.

It was fine. Lots of things friends can talk about besides Trudeau, Kenney, Biden, and vaccination.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #65
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but were you social distancing? If not, you're as bad as Mike Fisher.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:14 AM   #66
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
We hosted a BBQ last weekend and told the people we invited that political talk would be unwelcome. With people having strong opinions and living in different media realities, it’s pretty much impossible to have a useful discussion across political-cultural lines these days.

It was fine. Lots of things friends can talk about besides Trudeau, Kenney, Biden, and vaccination.
People who talk about current events at parties suck. Even if I agree with you its awful. Tell me what projects you have on the go instead.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:23 AM   #67
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
People who talk about current events at parties suck. Even if I agree with you its awful. Tell me what projects you have on the go instead.
Why talk about politics when you can talk about those who are not there or who have not arrived yet? or those who left early? The other night I had the group in stiches ragging about projects and how I don't care if I ever take on another project around the house/ yard ever again.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #68
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:

Well sitting in a pub with your friends is quite a bit different than you choosing to actively and intentionally engage in a topic on a forum where the thread is clearly labelled or where you can simply ignore the posts in question. So that’s not really a good example.

It’s be more akin to hearing a table across the pub talking covid and sitting down with them and demanding they change the topic because “who cares about Mike fisher?!?”
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:40 PM   #69
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was referring specifically to the underlined in your post which I quoted, which has not happened in this thread. So expecting that everyone automatically assume the context of "on an internet forum" is not really reasonable.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #70
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
I was referring specifically to the underlined in your post which I quoted, which has not happened in this thread. So expecting that everyone automatically assume the context of "on an internet forum" is not really reasonable.
Actually it’s quite reasonable considering the context of the discussion.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:22 PM   #71
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
They don't want real freedom, they want their own specific needs to be free, and #### anyone else who thinks differently.

It’s like the Brexiters in the UK. “I wanted to restrict freedom of movement for THEM, not ME!
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Barnet Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 05:24 PM   #72
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
My dad had a stroke few months ago. It was scary, but he lived and was relatively unscathed.

There were obviously the exiting physical health conditions that led to it, but I think his daily consumption of outrage politics had a big part to play too. Always angry at someone or something and we'd always argue about stupid ass ####.

I am in the same boat as you - life is too short to (at best) waste time with politics or (at worst) have it adversely affect your health. I hate the pandemic for so many different reasons.
My mother was diagnosed with breast cancer during the pandemic. She then chose to spend what might have been her last moments getting really into outrage politics....it was absolutely baffling to me. She pulled through and is doing better....but why?

I chose not to engage her in any political debates. Firstly, I don't want to justify many of these positions by actively engaging them. I also didn't want some vulture political pundit to let their profiteering put a wedge withing my family, although they did as other family members engaged my mother on multiple topics.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 06:07 PM   #73
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I knew what Cecil was referencing, which does happen often here (always the same types) and is very true. I also totally agreed with what you said.

My friends and I avoid politics and pandemic convos like the plague (lol) now.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 08:58 PM   #74
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I don't mind mind talking politics and Covid with rational, normal people. Problem is sometimes people sneak up on you with their views. You think they seem normal and reasonable and next thing you know you've kicked open the portal to hell and they're ranting away on the pandemic, pedophile liberal politicians and celebrities, and going off on transgender people.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 09:31 PM   #75
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Talk politics and covid all you want. Or don’t, it is totally up to you.

What I don’t understand is why care about opinions of athletes, actors, and other famous people…. They can have their opinions, like everyone else. I just don’t see why their opinion is so important that we should all care what they think.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:29 PM   #76
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

And why celebrities, athletes and former athletes think their celebrity status qualifies them for political office. There are lots of them in the States.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:54 PM   #77
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
And why celebrities, athletes and former athletes think their celebrity status qualifies them for political office. There are lots of them in the States.
Because politics, unfortunately, is a popularity contest and famous people already have brand awareness in the general population.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #78
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Because politics, unfortunately, is a popularity contest and famous people already have brand awareness in the general population.
I realize that, but it should not be the case. Evidence: Hershel Walker. His opponent has more substance and is much smarter.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote