Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-01-2022, 07:06 AM   #21
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

The reason I think Arsenal will have problems is because they're playing Thursday/Sunday this year and I just don't think they've got a deep enough squad to handle that. They'll probably start out fine, but as the fixtures stack up it gets hard to see how they compete with the larger squads.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 08:50 AM   #22
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is a fair point. But it depends also on where the team’s priorities lie.

Unfortunately, I don’t have much say in determining them, but I’d be happy to play a “Cup Team” on Thursdays.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #23
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cristiano Ronaldo left the stadium before the end of Manchester United's 1-1 draw with Rayo Vallecano after being substituted at half-time.

He started the game before being replaced after the first 45 minutes. He was pictured leaving Old Trafford before the final whistle, with United sources afterward refusing to comment on whether his early exit was sanctioned by manager Erik ten Hag.
https://global.espn.com/football/man...er-united-draw

Is he still looking for another team? He might need to take a haircut on his wages if he wants to play in the Champions' League.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:04 PM   #24
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
While they won’t trouble 1st place, I think Arsenal and Spuds will be the two teams to watch this season. Both teams have bought well and had plenty of time to integrate their signings.
I'd have arsenal in top 4 right now as well.

I do think they bought well this summer, and early too, and arteta seems to have a team he wants with some.huge salarys gone and some fresh blood

I know it's.only pre season but the few games I've watched they look really good

Depth is strong everywhere except right back and maybe 1 more forward would be great, but not everyone's an oil club

I don't think the Thursday/Sunday is as much of a factor as.it used to be
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 02:05 PM   #25
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
I'd have arsenal in top 4 right now as well.

I do think they bought well this summer, and early too, and arteta seems to have a team he wants with some.huge salarys gone and some fresh blood

I know it's.only pre season but the few games I've watched they look really good

Depth is strong everywhere except right back and maybe 1 more forward would be great, but not everyone's an oil club

I don't think the Thursday/Sunday is as much of a factor as.it used to be
Especially not with the introduction of 5 subs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 08-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #26
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of which, I am really interested in keeping an eye on the difference 5 subs is going to make over the course of the season and whether that Top 4 gap gets even wider.

You've got teams like Spurs who long have had notoriously thin squads, now they seem to be taking the effort to beef that up with some depth because they'll be competing EPL and CL equally pretty hard.

Its going to be interesting to see the shift in tactics and what results from that.

Old 08-02-2022, 08:04 AM   #27
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Especially not with the introduction of 5 subs.
I think that could be a factor working against Arsenal in at least half of the games against Top 4 contenders.

Not that it matters a great deal against Liverpool and City. Those two teams are light years ahead of the rest at most levels throughout their squads. Any points from those four games are gravy.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #28
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have 3 spots available in PL fantasy league. It's an online auction draft that goes live at 5:30 PM PT time tomorrow. $50 entry fee and pays to the top 3. PM me if interested.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 10:43 AM   #29
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as it looks like another City title on paper, I think the midseason World Cup will cause havoc through both injuries, the emotional reaction to post-World Cup, and the unique post-World Cup January window that will happen. And I suspect Bernardo Silva will leave City, which is a massive loss for them. Or maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into thinking it'll be an interesting title race instead of a procession.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:32 PM   #30
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, after Henderson put United on blast a week ago, over how they handled him.. I was thinking he was the dressing room leak last season.

After his latest outburst, blasting United over the handling of Lingard, I’m convinced. Fine the hell out of him.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 02:40 PM   #31
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
As much as it looks like another City title on paper, I think the midseason World Cup will cause havoc through both injuries, the emotional reaction to post-World Cup, and the unique post-World Cup January window that will happen. And I suspect Bernardo Silva will leave City, which is a massive loss for them. Or maybe I'm just trying to talk myself into thinking it'll be an interesting title race instead of a procession.
Even if Barca shed FdJ, and activate a 5th “financial lever”, of selling more tv/marketing rights, how do they afford Silva??

They still have 5 new players (Lewandowski, Kounde, Raphinha, Andreas Christensen, Franck Kessie), and 2 players (Dembele and Roberto) on higher earnings to register, before start of season in 10 days.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 03:40 PM   #32
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Marc Cucurella quite a bit, but Chelsea shelling out £55m plus £7m in add-ons is bat#### crazy.

good on Brighton. £52m for Ben White last year, now £55m for Cucurella ... they are taking PL teams to the cleaners. I wonder what the asking price for Tariq Lamptey would be if they ever agreed to sell him.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:20 PM   #33
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I like Marc Cucurella quite a bit, but Chelsea shelling out £55m plus £7m in add-ons is bat#### crazy.

good on Brighton. £52m for Ben White last year, now £55m for Cucurella ... they are taking PL teams to the cleaners. I wonder what the asking price for Tariq Lamptey would be if they ever agreed to sell him.
Probably afraid of being beaten out by Barcelona!
Old 08-05-2022, 07:06 AM   #34
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Even if Barca shed FdJ, and activate a 5th “financial lever”, of selling more tv/marketing rights, how do they afford Silva??

They still have 5 new players (Lewandowski, Kounde, Raphinha, Andreas Christensen, Franck Kessie), and 2 players (Dembele and Roberto) on higher earnings to register, before start of season in 10 days.
I think we're all very much hoping the disaster scenario materializes and they can't register anyone. Would be the funniest #### ever after presenting all of the new signings already.
Old 08-05-2022, 08:19 AM   #35
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That cucurella price is absolutely insane
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:10 AM   #36
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
That cucurella price is absolutely insane
They do know that they're not funded by a Russian Oligarch anymore right?

Old 08-05-2022, 10:10 AM   #37
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Cucurella deal kinda feels like a deal to try and alleviate fan concerns more than wise business. After getting punked all summer by a broke Barcelona, gotta show the fans we can still get deals done, even if they are overpays. The funny thing too is even if Cucurella lives up to the price, he's gone to Barcelona in two years max lol.
Old 08-05-2022, 10:58 AM   #38
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited for this season to get going.

Have a cautious optimism for this season and my 2 month old son is in his onesie ready to watch his first Arsenal match today.
Here begins a life-long journey of joy, misery, disappointment, triumph and his first lesson in hatred (Spurs).
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #39
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess at that age he can be forgiven because he doesn’t know any better.

I’m also excited about this season and can’t wait to get it going!
Old 08-05-2022, 11:19 AM   #40
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was cussing something something Slava under his drool this morning; most angry I've seen him
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote