Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2022, 02:55 PM   #1
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's talk about the 2022-23 lineup

As everyone knows, this years iteration of the Calgary Flames is going to look unexpectedly different than last years team. Out are the two core pieces of the previous half decade and in with brand new blood.

We lost two 100 point wingers and replaced them with one 100 point winger and a top 4 defenseman. Huberdeau is more comparable to Gaudreau than Tkachuck, so I'd argue that we still need to find a replacement for the grit and scoring that MT brought to the lineup. That won't be an easy task, and I don't know if any player we currently have on this team can step up and fill that role.

Right now this is how I view the lineup, and I'd assume management might as well. If we don't find another top 6 winger before the season starts I think this team is in danger of the floor falling out below them.

Huberdeau-Lindholm- UFA/Trade

Toffoli-Backlund-Mangiapane

Dube-Monahan-Coleman

Lewis-Ruzicka-Lucic

Tanev-Kylington

Andresson-Hanafin

Zadarov-Weegar

Markstrom

Vladar

I'm not opposed to signing Kadri, but that deal would have to be something along the lines of 4 years max which is something I don't believe his camp would go for. If Brad believes in this team maybe we look at hemorrhaging the future with picks and prospects for a top 6 guy.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:03 PM   #2
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know they aren't necessarily tough but Konecny or Necas would fit well on the top line.

Both are available but different.

Konecny is without a doubt a first liner. He has a great shot and would fit in like a glove. The problem is doing the cap circus to fit him in.

Necas is a speedster who is responsible on both ends of the ice. He isn't as feisty as Konecny but would add speed and potential to the lineup. He was likely be easy to fit in cap wise.

Both acquisitions likely cost around the same in term of assets.

Personally, I prefer Konecny and believe that he would light it up alongside Huberdeau and Lindholm.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 03:06 PM   #3
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think maybe we do one more signing of a depth piece to compete in the bottom 6, but otherwise just use remaining cap space this year to sign our RFAs, and promote Pelletier.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Pelletier - Backlund - Toffoli
Dube - Monahan - Coleman
Lucic - Ruzicka - Lewis

Andersson - Weegar
Zadorov - Hanifin
Tanev - Kylington

Would be nice to upgrade Monahan and/or Lucic to players who are more likely to chip in on offense more, I'm just not sure they make that happen.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 03:27 PM   #4
Ragnar
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Monahan should be eating popcorn, healthy or not. We need another center.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 03:30 PM   #5
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

They gave Rooney a two year deal, so I expect he will be in the line up. At this point, I think Monahan's run as a top 6 C is over but he may still have a scoring role to play. Before he was moved off of PP1 he was still leading the team in powerplay points, so if he's healthy I think it's worth a shot to see if he can score.

I am also hoping to see Dube get a real run at C this year. I think he's more effective there and he was able to put a good run of games together in the last quarter of the season.

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Monahan
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Pelletier - Dube - Toffoli
Lucic - Rooney - Lewis
Ruzicka

Hanifin Andersson
Kylington Tanev
Zadorov Weegar
Mackey

Markstrom
Vladar

There is a lot of familiarity here. Backlund line is excellent. Lindholm and Monahan have had success in the past. Top 4 remains the same, although Weegar will get more minuted on PK and PP.

I agee that bribging soneobe in would help, but there isn't much space left and I think this group could compete for home ice.
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #6
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Not the biggest fan of our forwards as a whole..

I like Huberdeau, Lindholm and Mangiapane but the rest leave a lot to be desired.

I feel like we are missing a 2nd line as Toffoli is the only other top 6 forward IMO.

Backlund and Coleman are solid 3rd liners but we shouldn’t need to rely on them for much offence. They top out as 35-40pt guys which isn’t bad but not optimal for 2nd liners.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 03:49 PM   #7
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Not the biggest fan of our forwards as a whole..

I like Huberdeau, Lindholm and Mangiapane but the rest leave a lot to be desired.

I feel like we are missing a 2nd line as Toffoli is the only other top 6 forward IMO.

Backlund and Coleman are solid 3rd liners but we shouldn’t need to rely on them for much offence. They top out as 35-40pt guys which isn’t bad but not optimal for 2nd liners.
Couldnt agree more, expected though when you lose 2/3 of the best line in Hockey. I think there is hope Monahan bounces back, Dube breaks through and they get one more top 6 forward- either proven or someone available that needs more of a chance, playing time elsewhere.

Could use a Lindholm or Conroy situation this year up front where the player excels here.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #8
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Our D and goaltending are great. With some depth.

Our forward group is messy. We lost our top line wingers and only replaced one of them. Which has ripple effects.

I think there’s one more move coming.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:50 PM   #9
redmile04
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Toffoli was 7th in goals scored in 20-21.. not that long.. a bounce back to a similar season would do wonders.
Old 07-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #10
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Monahan should be eating popcorn, healthy or not. We need another center.
Even if he's healthy again this year, its brutal if anyone expects him to shoulder the 3rd line center role when he was really bad defensively at the best of times. His play last season was very uninspiring even before he was hurt again. Time to move on or keep him in a 4th line role until his contract is up.

The best solution I can see is for the Flames to trade Kylington + for a top 6 capable winger. Otherwise, there is a definite hole that will limit the teams potential next season (even if they are able to extend Huberdeau and Weegar).
Old 07-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #11
Electricprez
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Like Savvy, I expect them to play Rooney given the contract they gave him.

Even so, I'd like to see them pick up another C - would be excited to see Kadri or Statsny in that role, but who knows what sort of moves they're capable of right now?

I have no idea if it's tenable, but I'd be curious if Monahan is healthy, if they don't try him on the wing (3/4th line) to spare him draws. I honestly don't think he's a top 6 player anymore between his wrists and his hips. The guy has had an absurd amount of injuries that continue to impact his game.

And as a wildcard, I'd be totally OK with them rolling the dice on Konecny, Milano or -- for the fun of it -- a one-year deal with Phil the Thrill.
Electricprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:52 PM   #12
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

While it’s true that there are two guys gone from the top line, I hate the “two 100 point” line I hear all the time because it suggests that the team will now score 100 less goals. It ignores the fact that a lot of those points (the majority I bet) were on the same goals. Not discounting the loss of Tkachuk, but whoever is on the line will get some points with Huberdeau and Lindholm.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #13
BlindMilwaukee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

If I were assigning a C and 2 A's for this years group I'd go:

Backlund C
Tanev A
Coleman A or Lindholm A
BlindMilwaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlindMilwaukee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 03:59 PM   #14
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sutter

Huberdeau - Lindholm - Toffoli
Mangiapane - Backlund A - Coleman
Pelletier - Monahan - Dube
Lucic A - Rooney - Lewis
Ruzicka

Hanifin - Weegar
Kylington - Tanev C
Zadorov - Andersson
Meloche

Markstrom
Vladar
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 04:05 PM   #15
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
While it’s true that there are two guys gone from the top line, I hate the “two 100 point” line I hear all the time because it suggests that the team will now score 100 less goals. It ignores the fact that a lot of those points (the majority I bet) were on the same goals. Not discounting the loss of Tkachuk, but whoever is on the line will get some points with Huberdeau and Lindholm.
Difference is 52 goals and I do believe they did not need them to get to 50 wins as most of those wins were lobsided.

You only need to score 1 more goal than the oppostion and Flames scored 103 more than they required for those 50 wins.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:07 PM   #16
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

where does nazeem the dream slot in?
Old 07-28-2022, 04:08 PM   #17
Electricprez
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northendzone View Post
where does nazeem the dream slot in?
2c
Electricprez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:09 PM   #18
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

The optimist in me says that our defence is going to be incredibly good. The addition of Weegar, a step forward from Kylington, Sutter at the helm… I think we’re at least as good as last year overall.

Let’s call Gaudreau and Huberdeau a wash. Tkachuk for a top pairing D-man, could be considered nearly fair value if he re-signs… I think we might be a better playoff team… goddamnit how am I actually excited for this season.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2022, 04:15 PM   #19
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Always Earned Never Given View Post
Difference is 52 goals and I do believe they did not need them to get to 50 wins as most of those wins were lobsided.

You only need to score 1 more goal than the oppostion and Flames scored 103 more than they required for those 50 wins.
But you cannot assume that they will always win by 1 goal.

Although Calgary had the 6th best record in the league last year, but the 2nd best goal differential.

Based simply on equating the 6th best goal differential, Calgary scored about an extra 20 goals last year than what they would have expected from their record. So, they should expect their record to remain constant even with 20 less goals, more or less.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 04:49 PM   #20
Always Earned Never Given
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
But you cannot assume that they will always win by 1 goal.

Although Calgary had the 6th best record in the league last year, but the 2nd best goal differential.

Based simply on equating the 6th best goal differential, Calgary scored about an extra 20 goals last year than what they would have expected from their record. So, they should expect their record to remain constant even with 20 less goals, more or less.
53 goals more than needed equate to winning by 2.

Also the talk is about losing 13 and 19 production (82 goals) and replacing it with Huberdeau ( 30 goals) which is a loss of 52 goals net which would reduce their goal differential to +33 still good for around 100 points and hence making the playoffs.
Always Earned Never Given is offline   Reply With Quote